New to this and I really need help with decent recipes!

Options
Hi everyone. I'm fine with exercising, it's my nutrition that lets me down. If anyone has any nice recipes that don't take long to prepare and cook I would be so greatful!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Cook up some ground beef and slap it into a tortilla. A fast and balanced meal.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't argee mushroom man. There are no veggies.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Grilled marinated chicken (lemon & oregano, a spicy rub, yogurt & curry powder, honey & mustard) with boiled/steamed veggies and carbs of choice. Also, most types of fish cook very quickly - as do pork chops - so you could swap the chicken for one of those options.

Tuna pasta
    - Cook wholewheat pasta and broccoli, meanwhile sauté a diced red onion with some garlic and capers.
    - When pasta and broccoli are cooked, add them to the pan along with the tuna, diced tomato and possibly some olives. Quickly heat through and enjoy!

Chili
    - Sauté onion with bell pepper and garlic.
    - Add beef and let brown before adding spices (paprika, pimento, cumin etc.) and tomato paste.
    - Fry this off for a couple of minutes, then add a can of diced tomatoes and a little water. Let this simmer for about 10mins (the longer the better, but 10 minutes will cook everything through), then add beans (black, kidney - whatever floats your boat) and heat those through.
    - Serve with rice or tortilla wraps.

Healthy burgers
    - Buy lean burger patties or make your own from extra lean ground beef.
    - Fry off in pan. Meanwhile cook veggies of choice.
    - Serve burgers on wholewheat buns with a side salad and the boiled veg.

Stir fries
    - Get a bag of stir fry vegetables (or cut your own) and dice some chicken. Put a pot of water on for noodles.
    - Cook noodles and stir fry the chicken and veg over high heat.
    - Add cooked noodles to the pot and pour in sauce of choice: soy sauce / red curry pasta with soy & coconut milk / homemade satay sauce

Chicken wraps
    - Cut chicken into strips and marinade (e.g. in lime/paprika/cumin/chili) while cutting up some bell pepper and red onion (not too finely)
    - Grill or fry the chicken with the veg until cooked through. Meanwhile heat the tortilla wraps as the package instructs (or you can use lettuce wraps if you wanna stay low on the carbs).
    - Fill the wraps with the fried chicken & veg and add for example some cooked black beans, fresh tomato, avocado, a tbsp of Greek yogurt or sweetcorn. Roll the wraps and eat straight away, or put them on the grill for a bit if you like them crunchy.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. She has some great recipes on there. Browse the recipe board on here. Modify your existing recipes by using ingredients to make them lighter-less oil, low fat vs full fat, plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, substitute half the ground beef for ground turkey breast.
  • romancoat
    romancoat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Foil- or parchment-wrapped fish or chicken breast. If you slice your veg thinly enough, you can pop it in the same parcel, bake for 15 minutes, and you're done.
  • kaidensmommy109
    kaidensmommy109 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is figuring out the calories in the food I make at home like for instance spaghetti. Any advice?l
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is figuring out the calories in the food I make at home like for instance spaghetti. Any advice?l
    Try using the MFP Recipe Builder. You enter the ingredients/quantities used in the recipe and the number of servings it makes and it will tell you the nutritional information per serving. I like to weigh the total recipe in grams and use the weight as the serving size. If the weight is too high, I'll divide by 10 or 100 and note that the serving is for 10g or 100g.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Add them all as a recipe on MFP and it will let you decide how big a serving is. Then it will automatically give you all the nutrition facts per serving of that recipe
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad made w/ greek yogurt or lite mayo, taco soup (look up paula dean recipe online awsome!!) for quick lunch I always do 45 cal bread with smoked turkey breast (lunch meat) with a big hand full of raw spinach and 1TBS Italian dressing, shrimp or fish cooked any way, ooo celery w/ peanut butter...
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    get a boston butt roast, put in crock pot and season (a jar of bbq sauce or salsa works great, but you can do aaaaanything). cook until it's tender enough to pull apart with two forks. eat out of a bowl, on a salad, in a tortilla, on a bun, over rice, over a potato or any other old way you want. makes tons of leftovers. high protein!
  • MELLY319
    MELLY319 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • acparrillo
    acparrillo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For all of the above recipes that call for a meat, you can sub in ground turkey to change it up from chicken and fish! It goes great for healthier meatballs, wraps, tacos, plain with a side of mashed potatoes & choice of veggies.

I like the Steamfresh bags of frozen veggies because I throw those in the microwave for 6 minutes while I cook everything else. Super easy, comes out perfect every time & no clean up.