Too Far!!!

Options
So I majorly over estimated how far the library was from my house. I did 5 miles round trip. I hadn't ridden a bike in almost a year. I thought I could handle it and while I did make it home my bottom hurts so badly! Lol I guess maybe next time Google maps 1st lol.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    No, no, next time you pick someplace TEN miles round trip! Awesome job!
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Also if anyone knows any booty 1st aid advice please do I ice it or just leave it alone I already walked a lil
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Lol thanks
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    asking a thread on the internet how to care for your injured butt . . . you truly are a brave woman.

Seriously though, I say stretch it. those muscles are going to tighten up like crazy tomorrow.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Ya I'm stretching now
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You might want to google saddle sores. Sounds like an identical injury.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    OK I will thanks I have some blisters
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ouch.

Aside from the blisters, some discomfort is normal. You can minimize it in the future a few ways. A good pair of cycling shorts with a built in chamois help. A good seat really helps - contrary to what one would think, a more cushioned seat is not always the best option. Depending on the amount of riding you are doing you may want to look into getting a good seat which may fit better and reduce pressure. Cushioned seats can actually make things worse for longer rides. There are also creams you can use to help avoid saddle sores.
    But, even with all of those, it can still take some time just to get used to riding.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    OK thanks for the advice I'll get me some good padded pants and cream. My seat is way to narrow. It was fine for short distance but I want to get into this I need to invest into some better gear.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow...I'm managed to injure just about everything biking at one time or another, but don't think I've ever managed to get blisters. Shorts too loose, maybe? If so, maybe some tight mid-thigh spandex biking shorts or a men's speedo under your regular shorts next time? That should keep the chafing to a minimum (personally not a fan of padded shorts -- they just retain sweat).

First time out after a long layoff, your butt's gonna hurt. Ice at first, then a heat pad for the next couple of days. Give it a couple of days recovery before jumping on again...it's more bruising than DOMS, so jumping back on too soon is just gonna hurt worse. Also might want to adjust your seat so that you're carrying more of your weight on your legs (which also gives you more power when pedaling). It's a trade-off, especially if your legs aren't used to the effort, either, but I'll try to carry at least half my weight on my legs unless I'm completely exhausted.

Anyhow, good job getting out there! Hit it again in a few -- you've paid the main entry fee, so might as well enjoy the ride!
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness your butt - the glutes - is a muscle and can get sore like any other muscle. Stretching is good. Another option is to have someone stick their elbow on each side and massage it. Hurts? It should but will help. No joke!
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys the blisters are probably from my big old lazy day shorts that are like 3 sizes too big. I got ice on it now and I did some deep stretching with few yoga poses that help the soreness a lot now its just kinda stings I thought loose clothes would be better for exercise but they got heavy and the material was very chaffing