Healthy sauces or salad dressings??

Options
Looking for healthy sauces or salad dressings to put on my salads, any ideas?

Replies

• xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice are both yummy and healthy when used to dress salad :)
  • miaelise2222
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love plain old Vinegar and Olive Oil. 120 calories for 2 tsps is a lot but not when you're eating good at all meals. Sometimes I only put in Vinegar which is 4 calories for 2 tsps lol.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A Light French dressing might be alright too
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Opa by Litehouse - Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing 60 calories.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can find tons on pinterest! I personally love mixing plain yogurt with some fajita seasoning/chicken broth for consistency/lemon or lime juice and cilantro---mmmmm. Also i love chopping up tomatoes/cucumbers/bell peppers/onions with lemon juice, salt and pepper---so good
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to use olive oil. Your body requires a certain amount of fat to properly function. I use olive oil and red wine vinegar and I add fresh lemon juice. What ever fresh herbs you would like.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Also measuring salad dressings helps a lot too I found find I can be quite satisfied with half a serving of salad dressing which is usually about a tablespoon. I find it's better to mix the salad thoroughly than just drizzle it over the top.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I love using cottage cheese as a salad dressing. Nommy.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Lemon, lime, salsa are my faves! I really love the Opa greek yogurt dressing that someone mentioned. It's so good!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can take any standard salad dressing recipe and just decrease the oil in proportion to the vinegar. A lot of times, IMO, recipes include way too much oil (at least for me, because I prefer the taste of vinegar/lemons to the oil.) A little olive oil can go a long way. (I usually end up using about a tablespoon of olive oil per salad, which serves the whole family. And it still coats well.)

Also you can marinate the tomatoes, cucumber, onions, etc before putting them into the salad ... that also gets you more bang for the calorie buck.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Good balsamic vinegar by itself (because I usually have gorgonzola or goat cheese on my salad for fat in lieu of olive oil).
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    olive oil + vinegar or lemon juice. And oldie but goody :)
    You can also make your own salad dressing in a blender, with olive oil, vinegar / lemon juice, mustard and salt, pepper, maybe even a bit of sugar (or substitute)
    You can add other things, such as strawberries, almonds, etc, to give it more flavor or body.

I just use fat free Italian dressing, because I don't want to added calories at this time (15 cal for 2 tbs)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ken's steak house lite balsamic vinaigrette 60 calories for 2 TBSP. is very very good and this comes from a girl who was a hidden valley ranch dressing lover ...I would be that stuff on just about anything :)
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse salad dressings are the bomb. They are yogurt based and only 25-35 cals per serving. They have bleu cheese, ranch, salsa cilantro, Caesar. It is in the cold section near the lettuce at my store.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If I want something creamy for a coleslaw for example, I usually go with half/half 1/2 fat mayo and apple cider vinegar. Or light Caesar dressing. For a simple green salad I like lemon juice/olive oil/salt.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love Bolthouse Farms dressings
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    ACV or lemon juice and Extra virgin olive oil with salt and pepper

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse salad dressings are the bomb. They are yogurt based and only 25-35 cals per serving. They have bleu cheese, ranch, salsa cilantro, Caesar. It is in the cold section near the lettuce at my store.
    ^^^^ this they are AWESOME!!!!!!