myfitnesspal adding calories wrong?

Options
IvanOcampo
IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
Not really sure where to add this, but this is kind of weird.
My macros for today are as follows:
Carbs: 188
Fats: 54
Proteins: 209
The myfitnesspal website/phone app is adding this to be 2,211 calories, whereas to me it adds up to 2074, if I follow the: 1 protein/1 carb = 4cal, and 1 fat = 9cal..

Does the site follow a different calculation?
The reason why I found this odd was because, my goal for the day was 2200 calories, and the site is saying i've gone over this by 11, whereas I am under in my macros by 5 carbs, 7 fats and 11 proteins..

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's a user generated database.
    The users can't read labels or do maths.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Plus check for entires where only calories were recorded.
  • IvanOcampo
    Options
    It's a user generated database.
    The users can't read labels or do maths.

thanks for your quick reply. don't really understand what this means..?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep, errors on manually entered foods + a LOT of rounding (think of it, calories on labels only come in increments of 10, that takes some rounding to do, a little here and there adds up, plus then compound that with any partial or multiple servings in your diary) = some errors. As long as you're checking the nutritional info on user entries and you're within reason on you calorie and macro goals I wouldn't stress too much.
  • janerfitnesspal145
    janerfitnesspal145 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When you add food to your diary, are you adding them yourself (i.e., manually or scanning the barcodes)? Or are you just choosing from the MFP database? I've been logging here for 2 years and find lots and lots of people enter foods into the database where they enter the calories and carbs, but not other macros, which messes you up if your tracking things. I always double check against the package, too many mistakes.
  • IvanOcampo
    Options
    ah, okay - i understand ..
    I normally use the barcode whenever possible.
    When I'm eating fresh vegetables it makes it difficult, but I don't generally check the macros and accept them for what they are on the database.
    With this in mind, it's then perhaps more accurate to follow the caloric intake more than the macros..
    Thanks!
  • IvanOcampo
    Options
    also.. how annoying.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary to the public, we can take a look and see which entry is the culprit.
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    True, very annoying as people don't check what they enter! Also, the barcodes sometimes are wrong. My husband sometimes scans in Kraft Cheese and it shows as something totally different. Once you've been on awhile and your food list builds up, you can choose from your own foods instead of the database. You can use sites like nutritiondata.self.com to find a lot of fresh veges and fruits, includes all the nutrients too. Good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    True, very annoying as people don't check what they enter! Also, the barcodes sometimes are wrong. My husband sometimes scans in Kraft Cheese and it shows as something totally different.

I had that happen a few times. I was scanning tortillas once and it kept pulling up jalapenos >.<
  • janerfitnesspal145
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had that happen a few times. I was scanning tortillas once and it kept pulling up jalapenos >.<

My husband would scan and be done without looking, then I'd look at his diary to copy something to mine and I'd have to ask him WTH he ate, then he'd look and go that's not what I scanned!