To eat the burned calories or not?!

Options

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others 700 calories for a long walk has to be an over- estimation. There are lots of calorie calculators out there and I just did one that gave me 300 as an estimation for your calories burned for that activity.

I also think 1200 calories seems low for someone of your current height and weight. I would consider eating some of them back occasionally. Maybe 200-300 but not every time. I find that mixing up both my eating and my workouts helps me lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1 - The way this tool is designed is that you get a calorie goal as per your stats and the activity level you told this calculator along with your desired rate of loss...this calculator calculates a calorie goal that is a deficit from your maintenance level of calories WITHOUT exercise...meaning, you just eat to that goal (consistently and accurately) and you will lose weight. Exercise is an activity that needs to be accounted for though...with MFP, you do that on the *kitten* end of the calculation when you log it and get those calories to eat back. Other calculators include such an estimate upfront in your calculation...so you are in fact eating those calories, but they're just already included in your initial goal.

2 - Does 1200 - 700 = 500 net calories per day even sound remotely healthy or good for you? You're giving your body very little to work with to perform your other daily functions, not to mention the mere act of existing and your heart pumping, lungs working, etc.

3 - It is likely that your burn is inflated...I don't know anybody who burns 700 calories walking for 90 minutes...my guess would be more like 400 or so tops.

5 - This tool is designed for you to eat back burned calories, but that estimation is a difficult thing and you need to make some kind of an allowance for that inherent error.

^ listen to this guy OP
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    abakaska wrote: »
    I guess walking uphill doesn't count on a treadmill? ?

It counts but it isn't going to burn 700. If you can, invest in a chest strap heart rate monitor, they are still estimates but they're a little more realistic burns.

• oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat some of mine back, just like everyone else here says, in case of miscalculations atleast I have some buffer for what I already ate or didn't count. I'm also not hungry afterwards, I drink my glass of water and go straight to bed. I work out at night!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if I feel I need to. If I feel super hungry or unusually tired, I will eat them back. Or if I just want an extra snack I will use some of them too. But honestly, you are eating 1200 calories a day. That is a deficit of 800 calories a day for most average lightly active people. You are going to lose weight that way. Those 700 extra calories you burned are going to take a lot more out of your body and are in a surplus of your current deficit so while you don't have to eat them back it is certainly ok if you do. No matter what, you are still going to have your original deficit. I would say if you are burning that much extra you should try to eat back some of them to avoid losing too much weight too fast. I eat back about 2/3 of my exercise calories on average and I am still losing well.
  • McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All of the comments about the OPs burn are fair - it might be an overestimate but the one piece of the puzzle that's missing is that burn depends on all sorts of factors and simple physics says that the most important one is weight.

If person A weighs twice what person B weighs then person A's burn will be roughly double person B's for the same exercise (assuming we're talking exercise that involves moving the whole body like walking).
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 6ft tall, weigh 261lbs and I walked at 3.5mph on a 15 incline in 50 mins and burned 1000 calories today wearing a heart rate moniter.

I hear everybody saying the machine is over estimating her 700 calories for 90 minutes, yet nobody has said how they know this, not one person has asked what treadmill she is using was she wearing a heart rate moniter or anything.

Way to shoot someone down people.
  • abakaska
    Options
    McBoffin wrote: »
    All of the comments about the OPs burn are fair - it might be an overestimate but the one piece of the puzzle that's missing is that burn depends on all sorts of factors and simple physics says that the most important one is weight.

If person A weighs twice what person B weighs then person A's burn will be roughly double person B's for the same exercise (assuming we're talking exercise that involves moving the whole body like walking).

Agreed. Thank you. At the end of the day that number gets me to the gym the next day, wether or not it's 700 cal or 400
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    abakaska wrote: »

Agreed. Thank you. At the end of the day that number gets me to the gym the next day, wether or not it's 700 cal or 400

well said!!
  • abakaska
    Options
    I am 6ft tall, weigh 261lbs and I walked at 3.5mph on a 15 incline in 50 mins and burned 1000 calories today wearing a heart rate moniter.

I hear everybody saying the machine is over estimating her 700 calories for 90 minutes, yet nobody has said how they know this, not one person has asked what treadmill she is using was she wearing a heart rate moniter or anything.

THANK YOU! :) no worries everyone has an opinion, I have mine on certain things
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Do you input your age and weight on the treadmill before you begin? If so, the calorie burn may be fairly accurate--it is for me when I compare it to runningahead and other calorie calculators. I've never used a HR monitor, but just using the machines estimates and runningahead estimates for my runs and logging them here, I lost weight. I never found the calories to be over-inflated. It will give you different burns for different ages and weights. I burn far less at 113 than my friend at 150 doing the same exercise, and the treadmill reflects this.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get a bit confused by it. MFP tells me my allowance is 1234 (or something like that) calories per day. I burn on average about 500-700 calories a day (two JM workouts and 1+ hours of dancing). I usually end up eating about 1450. Is the recommendation such that you should NET the recommended amount i.e the deficit is built in? My net is probably around 700- 800 on average. I have noticed that losses do slow down when I start tracking food again and weight loss is faster if I stop tracking what I eat for a while - could it be because I'm not eating enough? I don't feel hungry so feel a bit uncomfortable eating more to get to a higher calorie goal.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    miriams76 wrote: »
    I get a bit confused by it. MFP tells me my allowance is 1234 (or something like that) calories per day. I burn on average about 500-700 calories a day (two JM workouts and 1+ hours of dancing). I usually end up eating about 1450. Is the recommendation such that you should NET the recommended amount i.e the deficit is built in? My net is probably around 700- 800 on average. I have noticed that losses do slow down when I start tracking food again and weight loss is faster if I stop tracking what I eat for a while - could it be because I'm not eating enough? I don't feel hungry so feel a bit uncomfortable eating more to get to a higher calorie goal.

Sounds like you eat back half of your exercise calories. You're fine, because MFP overestimates burns.

But if you don't track your food, how do you know what you're eating? It's very easy to forget a snack or higher-cal condiment.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Part of the reason people think calories burned is overestimated is that the portion of TDEE that would be burned during that time anyway isn't taken out. I am 6'5" 241 lbs, so I'm burning about 125 calories per hour during my normal activities. If instead of normal activities I go for a bicycle ride and burn 1000 calories in an hour, I should really only add 875 calories burned to the log. Other than that, I don't see a reason for calorie burn estimates to be off. I wonder if we might be even more sedentary than what the term sedentary implies rather than calorie burn estimates being wrong.
  • candacefausset
    Options

^^^This. My sister can walk for 60 minutes and burn near 350 calories. I weigh about 60 lbs less than her and can walk at the same rate for the same time and only burn about 230. While in most cases calorie burn on machines is inaccurate, it may not be as highly inaccurate as many are claiming. That being said, it is still wise even with a heart monitor to always assume your burn is being overestimated and your intake is being underestimated.
  • candacefausset
    Options
    miriams76 wrote: »

MFP gives you a calorie goal with a built in deficit based on your stats. For instance, I am 5' 6", weigh approximately 207 pounds and want to lose about 2 pounds a week. I am fairly sedentary and try to work out for 20 minutes five times a week. With that information, MFP configures how many calories my body would need to maintain it's current weight just based on my height, weight and activity level for my normal day to day activities (home, work and social life). My body needs approximately 2100 calories to maintain. Therefore my deficit if I eat my allotted 1200 a day is 900. At the end of the week, without any exercise my deficit would be 6300. It takes approximately 3500 calories deficit to burn a pound of fat off. So a little under 2 pounds a week is my weight loss projected without exercise. Any exercise I do puts my deficit in further. If I walk enough to burn 300 calories extra in a day then my deficit hits 1100 that day. I can opt to eat those calories back because they are basically extra money in the calorie bank. Or I can (without torturing myself) not use them and burn closer to the full 2 pounds. Like I said before, I eat a portion of them back if I feel the need to due to hunger or being tired but it isn't necessary. That being said if I was doing very extensive and strenuous exercise, I would probably almost always eat a good portion of them back because I wouldn't want my body to suffer horribly.
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm I burned 1,000 calories tonight. 40mins on the treadmill and 30 on the bike. My max heart rate was 202.
    It's not that hard to burn calories. I don't really pay attention to wat the machines say tho. The heart rate always matches my watch the calories burned r always way less so I just go by wat my watch says.
    And no I don't eat back my calories.
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

That's wat they love to do on here. Shoot people down. Her post asked a question about eating back calories, not to criticize for how many calories she's burning during a workout smh.
  • marcebaquera
    marcebaquera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If u get hungry, eat a salad ..u can eat a big bowl of salad, wish. It would only be like 100/150 calories ...dont eat a heavy meal.... thats what i do.. :)