2»

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    xsix wrote: »
    Veggie soup base is awesome, if you have an Asian Supermarket near you, you will be amazed at what you will find there.
    I live in a small town. My options are a small supermarket and Walmart. :\

Why not make your own stock or base? I have a soup book with great recipes, but you can find instructions all over the net for beef, chicken and vegetable stocks. I do turkey stock as well. It just requires a bit of time, which you can use doing other things. Freeze large batches in small amounts for later, always comes in handy.
  • Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    Put brown rice in a bowl... push bowl to the side... order domino's o:)

:):):)
  • deecollins71
    Options
    I make 6 cups at a time and use for lunch all week. I sometimes throw in a can of Rotel or use Mrs dash or sazon. I also love to use 1 cup brown rice with 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets with a dash of salt and dash of pepper
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Salsa. On everything that needs dressed up.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    Peanut sauce yummy
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Salsa. On everything that needs dressed up.

Yep. Salsa is my fall-back on anything if I can't think of anything else. The hotter, the better.
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with low sodium chopped canned tomatoes, grilled chicken and spinach. top w a little parm. I also make a bunch and freeze in single serve baggies. very handy.
  • fatsheet
    fatsheet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i have brown rice daily for dinner.

once its cooked, i usually mix in 1/2 - 1 cup of zapped frozen veggies, add a dollop of sriracha, mix it up until it becomes a colourful mess, and then accompany that with some form of protein.
  • mmacpeek
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    I'm adding new foods to my menus to try and shake this plateau I'm stuck on. One of my additions will be brown rice. But normally I add tons of butter and salt to season my rice. Obviously a bad choice. So I was looking for suggestions on how you season yours without adding tons of calories!

• mmacpeek
    Options
    I love t add fresh cilantro and salsa... Delicious! I encourage you to switch to black rice, higher fiber and protein and to try farro... Kind of a light nutty taste which is great cold with a little balsamic and cucumbers and tomato. Those whole grains have a little more taste I find :)
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    with a pretty pink bow, of course. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I use some of this:

better-than-bouillon1.jpg

Then I add spices appropriate to whatever it's being served with, usually herbes de provence or garam masala, sometimes some finely chopped onions, garlic and shredded carrot. If I'm going with garam masala, sometimes I add lentils. If I'm using herbes de provence, I sometimes add wild rice.

But my favorite rice is mekong flower brown rice, and it needs nothing but a bit of salt, as it already has a very sweet, nutty flavor, kind of like jasmine rice.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I cook in chicken stock or chicken bullion and season with McCormick Salad Supreme. Gotta watch the sodium but salad supreme has a lot of great flavors that go well with rice. Also, a simple dash of cajun and/or chili powder is good depending on what type of dish you're making.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If I'm not using it in a recipe or making a pilaf or something, I generally just use stock instead of water. I usually have some homemade stock in the freezer, but store bought works just as well.