I love Mexican food!

Options
fatmommy
fatmommy Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am meeting some friends at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and I don't want to blow all my hard work with one meal. What do you get for a splurge meal that isn't a full day's worth of calories?

Replies

• Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Anything in a tortilla or a wrap usually packs alot of cals. Try getting a meat(chicken, pork, steak) on a bed of rice. See what soups they have.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    fatmommy wrote: »
    I am meeting some friends at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and I don't want to blow all my hard work with one meal. What do you get for a splurge meal that isn't a full day's worth of calories?

From your ticker on your profile, it says you've lost 32lbs. I highly highly doubt there is any possible way you can blow your progress over one day, let alone one meal.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hate Mexican, too much tortilla, cheese, and corn chips for me.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Cheese, cream sauces, sour cream, and guacamole are high-calorie. So is anything deep-fried. Big flour tortillas also. Margaritas are out of the question.

The good news is that traditional Mexican food is not really that rich. We've Americanized it into the mess it is. Fish or shrimp tacos, grilled meats, fajitas...lots of good stuff is available. Corn tortillas are not too bad a carb hit, and they are whole grain. Sangria might be a better drink choice.

Oh, and try to stay out of the chips. That's the hardest challenge for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    fatmommy wrote: »

Whatever I want. If I know I'm going out for a big meal, I put some calories in the bank to save for the big day, or I accept that I'm going to go over that day log it in, and move on.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the cheese and the chips.
    For example, enchiladas without the cheese would be great. Also Stuffed Poblano Chiles ("Chiles Rellenos") without the cheese. Certainly check the grilled menu. Enjoy yourself.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas without the cheese are tortillas and chile rellenos with the cheese are chiles.
  • fatmommy
    Options

From your ticker on your profile, it says you've lost 32lbs. I highly highly doubt there is any possible way you can blow your progress over one day, let alone one meal. [/quote]

About a year ago I lost 40 pounds, but it was because of untreated type II diabetes. The weight has been creeping back on because I love food! Now, I am trying to loose the rest of the weight I gained back.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I personally would enjoy it all... eat, drink and be happy... log it and go forward to tomorrow. One day didn't cause damage and one day isn't going to undo it all either.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    When I go out to Mexican, it's pretty much going to be a day's worth of calories for me. Because I don't say no to Margaritas and the chips....mmmmm...chips.

Haha. But, I personally really like fajitias. Always have. I'll usually have one in the tortilla and then just eat the meat and veggies on their own.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas without the cheese are tortillas and chile rellenos with the cheese are chiles.
    +1

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    As most people said, I would avoid the chips and torillas, and opt for a dish that's heavy on the meat and veggies, like fajita's.

You could just order whatever you want, eat a small portion and box most of it to take home, or enjoy your meal there but be more restrictive the day of and the day after to compensate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get huevos con chorizo and a side dish of guacamole to eat with a spoon. Margarita is optional.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My advice, do your research before you go and plan around what you expect to eat calorie-wise (be it for that day or for the week ~ ie, cut back 50 cals per day for the week). Stick with corn tortillas and water or unsweetened tea. Caldo soup is great this time of year. Have fun!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Op, bank some calories in advance if you can. Go out and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to overthink this stuff. Even if you exceed your daily limit by 2k, its not a big deal. I look at this as truly a lifestyle, meaning that my calorie goal is a rolling number over time. So, I take a very long term look at calories. I aim for a daily limit and I don't worry if I miss that, if I am under at the end of a day...win, end of a week....win, end of a month...win. I hope you enjoy your meal with your friends.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I usually get fajitas and then just eat one of the tortillas. I eat the rest of the meat and veggies without tortillas. And I don't add cheese since there's plenty of flavor without it. I do usually splurge on the guacamole though!
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't freak out over the sodium-induced weight gain the next day.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I get veggie fajitas, with corn tortillas. I ask them to pretty please cook either without oil or very little.

I eat a ton of salsa/guac with my corn tortillas and stay off the scale for a few days.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a good choice. I also like corn tortilla tacos.