Overcoming temptations

Options
I would like some opinions on how to overcome the temptation of eating the wrong things. I'm an emotional eater & have been all my life. I'm finding it very difficult to have self discipline and chose the right foods during an emotional period in my life. Self discipline and will power are not my strength. Any ideas on how to make myself more disciplined?

Replies

• mscookies83
    Options
    I find myself doing ok during the day but by the time night falls and I've run around all day and finally get 4 kids into bed, I'm ready to rip the door off the fridge and eat whatever cupcake, ice cream bar, piece of pizza I can find. I need help!!!
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I go to the store with a list. I stick to the list. I don't keep the stuff I like to binge on at home (begone peanut m&m's and harry and david moose munch) If I have it I will eat it. Ate a whole 7 servings of moose munch at 190 calories a serving a few weeks ago during the holiday stress season. I bagged it all up and the unopened junk food was donated and the rest was trashed.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Im like that, always have been but I've stopped having those foods in my house but for you it may be harder as you have 4 kids.

Maybe trying to have a more filling dinner with lots of protein and veggies to help sway cravings, I find the less sweets I eat over time the easier it is to resist it since the more of it you eat the more of it you want.

Goodluck though!
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've taken all temptation foods out of my home, I do buy special foods for my partner so he dose not feel like his on a "diet" that I do not touch. I keep things like carrot sticks and cream cheese on hand. I lost my sweet tooth a few weeks after I stated to loose weight, I guess I like the changes that are happening.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids, and as much as I would like no junk in the house, that's not realistic for me. I'm not an emotional eater, but occasionally crave junk. When that happens I first attempt to distract myself from it (usually doing a few minutes of running up and down the stairs, some type of cleaning, or going for a walk) if I still really want something from the junk food, I'll portion out 1/2 a serving and add it to my diary. If portion control is an issue for you, try getting some healthier options (I'm love popcorn flavored and Carmel corn rice cakes) and portion out either half servings or single servings. That way if you want one they are already portioned and your not tempted to take the entire package with you. I've also started only eating while sitting at the kitchen table (no opportunity for mindless snacking in front of the tv for me anymore)
  • thedomesticmum
    thedomesticmum Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am also a busy full-time student and Mum to 3 so I completely understand how you are the last one that gets thought about...by yourself!

Things that I find work for me (when I actually remember to do them...) are the following:

-prepping as much as can the night before for the kids and myself so that our day is set food wise--I find prepping almost all my meals for the next day the night before crucial to my success. For example--Sundays I decide what I want to eat for the week and I'll make a big batch of soup or a healthy quinoa salad in bulk and that becomes "Mum's meal--hands off!!" I put it in containers on Sunday night so that I can easily grab them during the weeknights when I am making 5 lunches for everyone. I also pre-package rice cakes, etc for the right serving size and always make sure to have fruit and individual greek yogurts in the fridge as these are my "go-to" snacks. Figure out 3-5 of your go-to snacks and always make sure you keep them on hand.

- Remembering to drink water!! When I am thirsty, I seem to just eat more...
    - Sleep!! Whenever I don't get enough sleep, my eating goes down the drain!
    - Always have snacks with you wherever you go (healthy ones..) I usually always keep an apple or some nuts in a small baggy in my bag.
    - Don't keep it in the house!! The other day we went out for ice cream and my husband wanted to buy the box of ice cream bars as it was cheaper. I said no and we bought individual bars for a one-time eat and that was it...I try my hardest to keep trigger foods out of my house (although they always seem to sneak in by my husband and children...)

While I may offer some good advice, I too have a hard time with losing control and have a difficult time with the guilt that comes from parental duties vs. taking care of myself. A big change we have made recently is that Sundays we stay home...unless it's a family members birthday, we stay in our PJ's and it is my laundry and "prep" day--I prep all the veggies, my batches of meals and sometimes I'll even prep certain things for our dinners that week. Life usually gets in the way and it doesn't always happen, but we've had to say no to a lot of commitments as I personally find that I need my prep days to make the rest of the week go smoother, including being organized in the kitchen.

I hope that helps--keep truckin'!
  • mscookies83
    Options
    I do find it harder because I have 4 kids...I don't want them to feel like just because mom is on diet then we are too...I don't give them sweets very often but I do keep like a bag of herseys kisses and some granola bars in the house for them. But then they bring home treat bags from some school party or a kid had a birthday and I'm left staring down a bag of sweets for 3 or 4 days until they finish it off. Eesh!!
  • thedomesticmum
    thedomesticmum Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also...it sounds weird but brush your teeth right after dinner if you are having a craving, especially for sweets! Someone recently gave me this tip and it has helped a lot! .....if I make it to the bathroom before finding something yummy haha
  • Toadfitness
    Toadfitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try fruit to binge on
  • mscookies83
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I'll definitely be using some of these tips!
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    All I've ever managed with regular success is not having it in the house.

For what it's worth, my mom was regularly on weight watchers or some version of that, and I don't think I really noticed the lack of junk food. Once in a while I'd have one of those "why don't we have any fruit snacks" moments, but I'd get over it almost immediately. I think the kids would cope better with the lack of treats than you might expect.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I eat my temptations and just work them into my calorie allotment. :) I make sure I get in some veggies and a decent amount of protein each day, but I have dessert pretty much every day.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for night time indulgences, and stock your house with some lower calorie alternatives to your normal fair to munch on guilt free. I take care of four kids too, I know it's hard. Skinny cow ice cream is great. You can have 51 goldfish for like 130 calories. Have a sucker or hard candy to just suck on, they last a while and can help cravings. Sugar free jello is only 10 per cup with a little squirt of light whipped cream for 15.