introductions...any advice?

Options
Hello! I'm Callie, and I'm giving this weight-loss thing yet another try. I'm 24 years old and have been struggling with my weight since I was in middle school. I'm getting married in January or 2012, and if that wedding dress isn't enough motivation to really get it done this time, I don't think anything is.

I've been using myfitnesspal for about 2 weeks, and I love the simplicity of it all! I was an diligent WeightWatchers member when I was in college, but grad-school and a teaching job got the better of me and I stopped logging my foods like I used to and let my "happy relationship" weight pile on.

My goal weight is 150 lbs. I'm consistently under my calorie goal for every day and I workout (Zumba & walking) every day for 2 hours; since I myfitnesspal, I've lost a little over 1 lb, and in almost two months, I've only lost 2 lbs. Do any of you have any advice on ways to "rev up" my results? ...this wedding dress (first fitting in August!) is really making me nervous.

Thanks! and feel free to add me :)

7013491.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Nissa_D
    Nissa_D Posts: 7
    Options
    You say you're consistently under your calorie goal, and not losing. You're most likely not eating enough. Make sure you eat all your calories, and whatever your work off with your workout. A day or two being under isn't going to hurt but constantly will, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything you consume.
  • seanosullybush
    Options
    looks like your doing alright it takes time i could just say train harder and eat less but where would that get you no where so wat i say is well done keep going rome wasn built in a day . . . keep it going and best of luck !!!!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What does your daily intake look like? If you're consistently under your caloric maintenance level and doing cardio as long as you say you are, it should probably be happening a little quicker. 1-2 lbs per week is very realistic. If you want tips..

- Have you tried weightlifitng?
    - High intensity interval training, right in the morning on an empty stomach
    - Limit starchy carbs
    - Lower sodium intake and drink LOTS of water (80 oz/day)
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Track you exercise and try to eat the calories. Starving yourself will slow your metabolism down and make you resistant to losing weight.

Be true to your tracking of your food intake, you are doing this for nobody but yourself so don't lie to yourself.

Eat smaller meals all day long to keep you metabolism rev'ed up drink the water.

I have hit a few weeks where the scale does not move much. Changing things up helps both in food and exercise.
  • CallieCrocker
    Options
    Really? I had no idea! I'm usually only 10 or 20 calories under my goal for each day...would that still make a big difference?
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nissa, I was eating 800 calories a day and guess what??? did not lose 1 gram for weeks. Went to a nutricionist, in my case I eat 1300 calories plus the workout calories (yesterday I ate 1700 calories) and I am slowly losing fat. So, do not starve!!!
  • CallieCrocker
    Options
    thanks for the vote of confidence! :)
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Really? I had no idea! I'm usually only 10 or 20 calories under my goal for each day...would that still make a big difference?

What's your caloric intake?
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    just for you to have parameters, I´m 5´7´´ and 135lb with aproximatelly 23% of bodyfat => 1300 cal + exercise cal.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You said you were under your calorie goal. By how much? Are you eating back the calories you burn in zumba and such? If you aren't, then you aren't eating enough food. You can't starve your body and expect to lose anything. It just doesn't work that way. If you can find newfiedan's blog..he has tons of valuable info on that.
  • Nikki_GodzPrincess
    Options
    First of all HI & WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, now that, that's out the way lol

From MY experience and from what I know about working out and being consistent, you need to shock your body. If you are doing Zumba & walking everyday for two hours you need to throw in something else. Some women do not know this but using weights, free weights, weights at the gym, this is how women lose their weight. Cardio is great dont get me wrong but when you're done with your cardio whatever calories you lost at that time...thats it. When you do weights you keep burning calories even after you're done working out, and even when you're sleeping. I have lost 70lbs in 4 months and I am trying to lose 30 by the end of June. I do cardio but I do more weights. I change my routine consistently, sometimes I start with weights first, then end with cardio, or do zumba and then do weights etc. and I know this is how I lose my weight.

Best advice you have to do what works for you, what works for someone else might not work for you. But the only way to know what works for you is ONE a trainer or TWO trying different things and see what ends up working for you.

Eating breakfast too is what I found works for me. It jump starts my metabolism and it's also helped me lose weight. I have a goal to hit by next month and I see that goal and I am "killin" it to accomplish this goal BUT I'm not depriving myself of calories, or food, or anything that will send my body into a plateau, and I am not allowing that goal to consume me or my life.

You can do this girl I have faith in you and feel free to add me if you ever want to talk or be encouraged :) hope this helps....WISHING YOU THE BEST
  • CallieCrocker
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice! I'll definitely keep these things in mind!

My suggested caloric intake is1230. I usually burn around 1000 calories (according to my heart rate monitor) during my workouts, and my average (for the past month) calorie count from food is 2150. I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, chicken, fish, and I pack turkey sandwiches on whole grain bread every day for lunch. I could definitely drink more water, though...I know that is a weak point for me.

I really appreciate this community.This kind of support is DEFINITELY what I needed :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this from the Big Picture approach.

You hope to live a long life with your new husband. You'd like to take vacations, with shorts and tank tops, maybe a bathing suit.

You want to have friends over for cookouts.

You may want to have children.

Now's the time to lay the foundation for the future. Take some cooking classes with your husband to be.

Get involved in some sport you both like (bikes, running, kayaking, hiking, whatever). Build a life together that encompasses your entire physical, emotional and nutrional health. You'll want to be a healthy weight if you want to get pregnant and carry a child. You'll want your family to grow strong and healthy.

This should not be about a dress. It should not be about a wedding. It is about a marriage and a life.