Post workout binging HELP!!

Options
I only have 5lbs to lose and I'm finding it really hard to stay in a calorie deficit.

I do LOADS of exercise (about 5 cardio classes and 3 weight/ab classes) and it's getting really frustrating because I can't stop eating the day after. Literally the morning afterwards, I gorge on carbs but in the form of cereal!! I'm so frustrated with myself but I feel so hungry. Like nothing will fill me up :( I can't stop!!

I'm so desperate to lose these last 5lbs, I have set myself the target of March 5th. If I can lose it by then I will be super happy. I don't care how long it takes, I just know that my hunger impulses and binging post workout is seriously effecting my weight loss. I hate it, it's so horrible.

Has anyone got any advice for me regarding this? Food choices/ meals post workout?
Is anyone else in the same boat?

Thank you all :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    first, scrap the end date of 5th March...

second, whats your calorie deficit set to? it shouldnt be more than 0.5lb per week

Thirdly, how much fat and protein are you eating? eating more of those will help keep you full.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can gorge the next day on carbs, but make sure you add some protein and healthy fat to it. Something like toast (though I like to use polenta), eggs, salsa and avocado. Or oatmeal with some nut butter, a fruit, and healthy oil such as olive or coconut oil mixed in. I find these very filling and they satisfy my carb craving.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    March 5th is doable. Since you know cereal is your weakness, get rid of it. Replace it with something like fruit. An apple has about half the calories of a serving of cereal and yet it takes up about as much space in your stomach.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

second, whats your calorie deficit set to? it shouldnt be more than 0.5lb per week

Thirdly, how much fat and protein are you eating? eating more of those will help keep you full.

+1 to all of these.

Maybe try reading the threads below as well as they'll probably help you figure out how much you should be eating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • larkpopowicz
    Options
    For me I find giving myself a day a week to eat the snack or meal I want keeps me on track, kind of a reward system, (if I stay on track I get my one serving of cereal- or in my case I get my honey crueler doughnut!! Mmm lol) staying healthy and making good choices is very important but don't deprive ur self of things u enjoy! This will cause binging! I find if I'm craving some extra carbs or sweets or anything it's usually because of an Inbalance somewhere in my diet or meals for the day. I need to remove myself from the situation, or I'll grab a green tea black coffee or chug some water so help pass the urg! And reassess how I'm feeling because I'm an emotional eater and then think about what I've eaten in the day and what I need to keep my macros balanced for my goals.
    - also if ur finding the last few lbs difficult it could be something as simple as a plateu in ur training regime, people need to change up their weekly routines to keep the muscles and body guessing what's next, you've gotta change to make change happen
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're over restricting yourself, not getting enough fat and protein, it's normal to want to "binge". What is your goal set to? (Loss per week).
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    March 5th is doable. Since you know cereal is your weakness, get rid of it. Replace it with something like fruit. An apple has about half the calories of a serving of cereal and yet it takes up about as much space in your stomach.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

• Liftng4Lis
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Where do you come up with this stuff?

In any fortune cookie....duh!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might not be eating enough for your activity level. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

This is all good advice:

• Liftng4Lis
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you might not be eating enough for your activity level. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

So you're telling her to eat more to lose weight????
    With 5 pounds to lose, your logging needs to be tight! Open your diary.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

OP is bingeing because she is hungry, which she says is harming weight loss - a more sustainable calorie deficit may help prevent binges and enable her to stick to a calorie deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

OP is bingeing because she is hungry, which she says is harming weight loss - a more sustainable calorie deficit may help prevent binges and enable her to stick to a calorie deficit.

OR just more nutrient dense foods. She needs to open her diary.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

OR just more nutrient dense foods. She needs to open her diary.

Or not knowing if it is hunger or thirst pains since the body does not know the difference.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    After work out protein shake ( I use Dymatize. ). More nutritious than what ever your going grab impulsively and will kill later cravings too ;)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Also for me lots of cardio increases after workout appetite. I know for some it does the same too.
  • milkywayward
    milkywayward Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If cereal is a "trigger food" then just remove it from the house. If the issue is that you're physically hungry, and you feel empty, then eat something less calorie-dense — if I'm approaching my goal for the day and I feel hungry I'll eat a large serving of vegetables, sometimes with a small piece of cheese or slice of ham or teaspoon of nut butter. Or pair your cereal with Greek yoghurt instead of milk so you get some healthy fat and protein with your breakfast and maybe a more satisfying consistency/mouthfeel. I also tend to look at my calorie deficit weekly instead of daily because I know I often get extra hungry the day after weight training and I like to be able to eat a little more on those days.

Also, yes — set your rate of loss to 0.5lb/week. Consistency is more important than speed. You want to be able to sustain this loss when you get there.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Eating just an apple would make me hangry. Now pairing it with some peanut butter would be better:D.

OP deactivated.