3 points away from having to take meds for Diabetes - must lose weight!

Options
I visited my doctor yesterday for my annual physical exam and to discuss my blood work. Everything is normal except my sugar count. I have also gained 10 more pounds since last year. I am 65 and feel like this is a do or die decision for me. I have just got to make this diet work.
Carol from Paducah, KY

Replies

• PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Reducing your carbohydrate intake - both simple and refined carbs - is a sure way to regulate insulin and reduce blood sugar levels. Increasing exercise will also help with this.
    - Information from The Diabetes Warrior is particularly interesting and mentions the low-carb rule for managing the condition. You can find out more here: http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/about-me-and-diabetes/
    - Best of luck with your journey!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Have you read about supplementing your diet with fiber to HELP control blood sugar? I have been reading about a lot of different benefits from taking extra fiber. I take Ultra Fiber DX every morning with my protein for a breakfast drink.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist/dietician to get professional advice for sure, but my personal experience with pre-diabetes has been exercise along with reducing my carb intake and ensuring the vast majority of the carbs I do have are whole grains, fruits, and veggies in addition to keeping an eye on my added sugars has reversed my pre-diabetes. I have a condition that makes me prone, so it may not be reversed forever, but if I can get many more years before type 2 kicks in, it's better than not.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Agree with what previous posters have said, and must add make sure to stay active! physical activity increases insulin sensitivity, all really good things if you are in the pre-diabetes area. Doesn't need to be anything too extreme, walk, swim, etc. It will help cholesterol/blood pressure as well if those are issues you are facing.