Can someone explain the point of logging exercise into fitbit?

Options
Hi! I am new to fitbit but not new to working out and logging with mfp. I used to log my workouts into myfitnesspal with the calories burned that my heart rate monitor gave me, but I stopped since I started wearing my fitbit because I was getting too much credit for exercise. If I do a workout and not log anything, I still see credit for exercise calories even though they don't always show up until the end of the day and they're pretty close to what my heart rate monitor tells me I burned, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm just curious why the fitbit dashboard even has a spot for tracking exercise at all? Can anyone explain if I should change anything? Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fitbit tracks step based exercise ...you log other types of exercise like swimming or cycling which it can't log ...I log my gym workouts on MFP, estimated by HRM

Normally log on MFP so that it overwrites any steps during those time periods ...make sure your goals, time zones are the same on both apps

It works for me
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This makes total sense. Thank you for your reply!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As above. Fit bit is only designed to estimate steps from daily activity and walking which it then estimates cals for. Any other activity it is not designed to do that for. I use my HRM for anything other than walking but if you find your numbers are accurate I guess just stick with what you are doing. I am looking forward to the fitbit charge +HR to see if that does away with the need for my HRM.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're welcome

Good luck

...it takes a few weeks to settle down ..don't forget it extrapolates to end of day based on activity already undertaken ...this can skew extrapolated estimates at the start particularly if you're active in the morning. It does learn over time though
  • shaymac98
    Options
    Just to clarify -- my Fitbit Flex is only measuring steps -- not HR caloric burn. I am member at a 9Rounds gym which incorporates kickboxing/crossfit into a 30 min class but even when I wear my Fitbit, I'm not getting many exercise calories for the class. I don't have the Fitbit HR model (and am trying not to spend the money) so should I be logging my exercise time separately on the days I attend class or do any other exercise activity that does not involve a lot of steps (example abs, core workout). I just want to make sure that I'm receiving the most accurate calorie burn possible. Thanks!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you've linked your fitbit to MFP, just log your exercise into MFP. It'll sync to your fitbit anyway. You just have to put a start time and duration for the exercise and the fitbit will adjust to account for that so that it doesn't double count your calories burned.
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you've linked your fitbit to MFP, just log your exercise into MFP. It'll sync to your fitbit anyway. You just have to put a start time and duration for the exercise and the fitbit will adjust to account for that so that it doesn't double count your calories burned.

THIS!!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do it the other way round. I log my non step based activity in fitbit. It doesn't log the activity back to here for me - but it does affect the fitbit adjustment that gets fed back.

I like doing it that way as it means I log my food here and all my activity is dealt with by fitbit. Plus I found that most of the calories for exercise given by fitbit aren't as generous as MFP - and a lot of folks round here think MFP is too generous. I don't have a HRM though - if I did I'd input the calories from that.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »
    I do it the other way round. I log my non step based activity in fitbit. It doesn't log the activity back to here for me - but it does affect the fitbit adjustment that gets fed back.

I like doing it that way as it means I log my food here and all my activity is dealt with by fitbit. Plus I found that most of the calories for exercise given by fitbit aren't as generous as MFP - and a lot of folks round here think MFP is too generous. I don't have a HRM though - if I did I'd input the calories from that.

I always used a HRM for my calories in MFP. But I do have to say, that I've tried 4 or 5 times to have my fitbit linked to MFP and can't stand it. I always shut it off after 2-3 days. I just hate that it gives you some calories and then takes them away again (with or without negative calorie adjustments, because I've tried both). I would eat and leave 50 or so calories left and come back the next day and it would show me over my calorie goal by 20 to 30 calories because the fitbit would take some calories away after I went to bed. Not a huge deal, but annoying. I just ended up using my fitbit to make sure my basic activity level stays up and use the calories I earn there as extra insurance (not linked to MFP, so they don't get added into my goal).

But I do the TDEE method now, so I don't worry about specific calorie burns anymore. I find it much easier and more effective for me.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lol - I once made the decision to try TDEE method (didn't like it - I got lazier as I wasn't seeing immediate credit for working out!!). But I forgot to unlink my fitbit - realised after two days of eating and eating and eating!! Luckily I realised my mistake quickly (it really didn't feel right to have so much food available to eat!!).

I'm a night owl - and am rarely in bed before midnight - so the calorie deduction thing doesn't bother me. I wake up in the morning with the deduction and have all day to make it up!

ETA - spelling mistakes
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »

I do it this way too, to keep my exercise data separate. I used to use an HRM and found that the Fitbit estimates more closely aligned with my HRM than the MFP estimates do.
  • i_rock68
    i_rock68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So do you get duplicates from entering treadmill exercise since that is also "walking".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i_rock68 wrote: »
    So do you get duplicates from entering treadmill exercise since that is also "walking".

You put the time of logged exercise in and the recorded movement is then ignored for that time period.

Fitbits measure more than walking steps.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For not step-based activity like biking. For days/situations where you've forgotten your Fitbit. Not that I've forgotten mine for more than 2 minutes LOL. I'm a true addict.
    julzwild wrote: »
    Hi! I am new to fitbit but not new to working out and logging with mfp. I used to log my workouts into myfitnesspal with the calories burned that my heart rate monitor gave me, but I stopped since I started wearing my fitbit because I was getting too much credit for exercise. If I do a workout and not log anything, I still see credit for exercise calories even though they don't always show up until the end of the day and they're pretty close to what my heart rate monitor tells me I burned, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm just curious why the fitbit dashboard even has a spot for tracking exercise at all? Can anyone explain if I should change anything? Thanks!

• StaciMarie1974
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is because of the way MFP calculates end of day calorie projections.

My example: MFP expects me to burn 1750 per day which is ~73 per hour. When I sync Fitbit, MFP says well as of 4pm you've burned 1200. You have 8 hours left, and you'll burn 8 x 73 so the end result is you will hit 1984 so its +234. But if I chill from then on, I'm not burning 73/hour. My BMR is more like 56/hr. So the difference (73-56) is lost for those last hours of the day.

What I do to avoid this, is look at my Fitbit app & have my calories set to sedentary. So it tells me over or under as of RIGHT NOW. And I know I'll change it by moving, so how much or little I move determines how much the over/under changes.

I always used a HRM for my calories in MFP. But I do have to say, that I've tried 4 or 5 times to have my fitbit linked to MFP and can't stand it. I always shut it off after 2-3 days. I just hate that it gives you some calories and then takes them away again (with or without negative calorie adjustments, because I've tried both). I would eat and leave 50 or so calories left and come back the next day and it would show me over my calorie goal by 20 to 30 calories because the fitbit would take some calories away after I went to bed. Not a huge deal, but annoying. I just ended up using my fitbit to make sure my basic activity level stays up and use the calories I earn there as extra insurance (not linked to MFP, so they don't get added into my goal).

But I do the TDEE method now, so I don't worry about specific calorie burns anymore. I find it much easier and more effective for me.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry to but into the thread. I'm thinking about getting a fitbit. When synced with mfp, and say you do 10,000 steps, does mfp count the calories you've burned doing those steps and adjust calories accordingly?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sorry to but into the thread. I'm thinking about getting a fitbit. When synced with mfp, and say you do 10,000 steps, does mfp count the calories you've burned doing those steps and adjust calories accordingly?

Yes it does.

I've noticed I usually start earning exercise calories at 3,000 steps but I'm sure that it's different for everyone.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    MFP takes your stats and stated activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) and estimates daily burn before exercise.

Fitbit takes your stats and steps/activity and estimates your calorie burn.

When you sync them, MFP compares your Fitbit burn to what MFP estimates, and then shows you + or - from your MFP goal.

The tracker takes out the element of guessing/approximating your activity level - having to choose whether you think you're sedentary, lightly active, etc. Also means you don't need to log your exercise (unless its not step based) because Fitbit (or other trackers) calculate for that as well and it shows in total daily burned calories.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks guys xx
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit for a few weeks now. It seems like when I log my exercise into MFP it still adds steps for that time frame. I got up to work out at six this morning and by the end of my 30 minute workout I had about 1300 steps. My calorie adjustment for Fitbit was still zero. Is there something I could be missing?