To count or not to count...

Options

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My fruit and veg amounted to 450 calories yesterday. I'd be wasting my time here if I wasn't counting them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Since you are only eating 1200 a day, you should be fine not counting leafy vegetables, but other fruits and vegetables can have significant calories. Not counting a banana or a sweet potato or an avocado doesn't make much sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and am on a 1200 a day plan. I actually didn't go over my limit yesterday although I didn't count the fruits and veggies I ate throughout the day. My brief time in Weight Watchers taught me that in moderation, F&V are "free."
    What is the general opinion on this? Am I right or am I cheating?? :o

This is not Weight Watchers. Log everything you consume. Fruits and vegetables have calories that add up. Some fruits and vegetables are not as low calorie as you might think. A banana can be 100 calories for example.
    1200 a day is really low to start with. You might reconsider that number.

Even so, if a person were to eat 12 bananas in a day, they would probably be pretty stuffed, and that would keep them within their calorie goals.

so that would be 1200 calories in just bananas…

assuming they had some other stuff they could easily hit 2000 and if their calorie goal is 1500 then that would be a one pound gain per week …

• Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks herrspoons!
    I just wanted to ask the average calorie value of an apple. Of course it depends on the size of the apple too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and am on a 1200 a day plan. I actually didn't go over my limit yesterday although I didn't count the fruits and veggies I ate throughout the day. My brief time in Weight Watchers taught me that in moderation, F&V are "free."

This is not Weight Watchers. Log everything you consume. Fruits and vegetables have calories that add up. Some fruits and vegetables are not as low calorie as you might think. A banana can be 100 calories for example.

Even so, if a person were to eat 12 bananas in a day, they would probably be pretty stuffed, and that would keep them within their calorie goals.

assuming they had some other stuff they could easily hit 2000 and if their calorie goal is 1500 then that would be a one pound gain per week …
    Gain?
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also want to comment on your calorie goals. I struggled with this concept for a long time. I thought if you want to lose, you had to really restrict calories. Like you, I have less than 20 lbs to lose and wanted to lose 2 lbs per week. I saw a nutritionist last year and she told me 1200 calories was too low...I didn't believe her. Six weeks ago I started with a personal trainer. He told me that I should be eating 1800 calories. I thought he was nuts. Low & behold, he is right. I am eating now in the 1500 calorie range (slowly ramping up to 1800) and I am losing more steadily than I was on 1200 calories or less. Plus, I feel fantastic. This is what I call sustainable. I am never hungry and I am losing steadily.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    What they said!

I don't know how WW account for it if you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want. Perhaps the typical WW customer tends to avoid such produce so it's a non-issue?

And I suppose it would be cheating if you could get your fruit and veg to be zero calories. And I'd extend whatever cheat code to see if you could make burger and chips zero calories, too. IYSWIM. :D

It is a way to encourage people to reach for those fruits and veggies instead of using up precious points on another item. It's also not a free for all where you can have as many as you want, they recommend 5-9 servings and the higher calorie items like avocados and starchy veggies you still had to count points for.

I did WW a few years ago and double tracked on here for a month while on it. It really didn't take much fruit and veggies to hit my calorie goal on here when comparing points to calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - I hadn't thought of the reason why WW could allow for the free F&V before. Makes sense.

My goal is 20lbs, I'm not overweight according to the Dr. but close. 1200 cal is what MFP set for me with 1.5 lbs per week.

I'll count everything from now on and revisit my calorie allotment in a few days.

Thanks again!

Since you only have 20 pounds to lose, your logging will have to be more precise. Weighing all food(liquid or solid) and selecting the right entries from MFP is your best bet. And like others have said, .5 to 1.5 pound per week is better. Anything else is too aggressive and will likely be tougher to achieve. Best wishes!!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    teecee60 wrote: »
    I also want to comment on your calorie goals. I struggled with this concept for a long time. I thought if you want to lose, you had to really restrict calories. Like you, I have less than 20 lbs to lose and wanted to lose 2 lbs per week. I saw a nutritionist last year and she told me 1200 calories was too low...I didn't believe her. Six weeks ago I started with a personal trainer. He told me that I should be eating 1800 calories. I thought he was nuts. Low & behold, he is right. I am eating now in the 1500 calorie range (slowly ramping up to 1800) and I am losing more steadily than I was on 1200 calories or less. Plus, I feel fantastic. This is what I call sustainable. I am never hungry and I am losing steadily.

That is certainly food for thought for me, lol. How old are you? I am 50 next month.

I have about 17lbs to lose.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Your body counts them, you should too.

If your goal is only 20lbs, you really should change your weekly loss rate to 0.5 to 1lb per week.
  • UnikittyRocks
    UnikittyRocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Damn bananas! Can't live without them and I have not counted one. Makes perfect sense that my body is counting it so I should too. Got it folks :) BUT, I have only just started so I haven't failed yet...I can do this! I'm going try to stay within 1200 cal today with all of the produce. I should mention that I workout at least 3 x per week and burn 530 - 600 cal per class. Those could be my extra banana and glass of wine day!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Gain?

ummm 1500 maintenance + eat 2000 per day = 500 over = one pound per week gain ..

because math ...

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Most bananas I buy tend to weigh about 120g.
    Per USDA database, that's 107 calories.
    1284 calories in bananas.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

I wouldn't be full. At all. Granted your mileage may vary but there isn't much staying power in bananas which is why people suggest adding PB or other items with fat/protein to add in satiety.

And that is relevant, why? The point is that a person isn't going to do something so silly because the bananas would make them so bloated that they wouldn't feel like eating all of their daily calorie allotment in bananas.

Since you brought it up, can I just point out that the 107 calories for a 120g banana is just an average? When they came up with that number there may have been a 120g banana that was 117 calories and a 120g banana that was 95 calories and a 120g banana that was some other number.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Actually, WW allows 2 "free" fruits in the 7 servings of fruits/veggies arena. That being said, I can tell you that I don't log my fruits/veggies on MFP. Mostly because I might have a banana or some apple slices, but that's about it for the fruits, and I might have a salad or green beans or tomatoes for veggies, but again - that's about it. Yeah, I should probably have more, but I don't.

I've always thought 1200 was a bit low thought. MFP gives me fewer calories than WW, so that's my range- Low (MFP) to high (WW).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Set your calories to a more reasonable sustainable amount and count those fruits and veggies!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I wouldn't be full. At all. Granted your mileage may vary but there isn't much staying power in bananas which is why people suggest adding PB or other items with fat/protein to add in satiety.

And that is relevant, why? The point is that a person isn't going to do something so silly because the bananas would make them so bloated that they wouldn't feel like eating all of their daily calorie allotment in bananas.

Since you brought it up, can I just point out that the 107 calories for a 120g banana is just an average? When they came up with that number there may have been a 120g banana that was 117 calories and a 120g banana that was 95 calories and a 120g banana that was some other number.

it is relevant because yes you can overeat on fruit and vegetables, be over maintenance, and gain weight; so they are not "free" calories...

and OP asked about "free" calories in her OP ...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I realize it's not an exact science.
    I've taken many a science and engineering course, I know how it works.

And in regards to the "something so silly", you clearly haven't heard of Freele the Banana Girl and her orthorexic diet. There are people who do mono-meals who *hopefully* aren't' as screwed up as Freelee but who knows