Favorite Whey Protein?

Options
Hi - I'm looking for Whey protein recommendations.. What's your favorite and why?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen (vanilla ice cream flavour) from Costco because:

1) it's more affordable
    2) sodium content (I try to keep my sodium intake low, most whey isolates will have approx 140/150mg per scoop mine has zero)

I haven't tried many others.......
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    After discussions with my friends, this is going to be a lot of personal choice, and it seems that most brands have some variation between flavors.

I love Trutein cinnabun and peanut butter marshmallow (there's some other word in that title, but close enough). They both mix really well with just water and end up almost creamy even though there's no milk in it. I also LOVE cinnamon, so there's that. I was less enthused about their chocolate peanut butter, but it was pretty good. The mocha caramel, I really only like with milk as it seems more watery, and I'm kind of meh about the flavor.

Combat cinnamon bun I'm also kind of meh about. It's better with milk than water as I find it rather watery. This seems to have more of a dough flavor and somewhat less cinnamon. I know some people like it better, but I prefer the trutein just because there's more cinnamon flavor. And it doesn't make me go WOW.

Optimum Nutrition, I've tried the cinnamon graham cracker and chocolate mint. At first I did not like the chocolate mint, but I've gotten used to it. I don't find that it mixes as well as some of the trutein (it seems more like granules in suspension as opposed to dissolved). The flavor isn't bad, but I do like it better with milk, but I can definitely drink it with just water. The graham cracker is awful. It smells really good, but the flavor is just off, and I can't really explain why. I'm choking it down because I hate wasting money, but milk is a must for that one because the flavor is ever so slightly better with it.

Body Fortress. This was the second protein powder I ever tried as you can just pick it up at Walmart. (The first protein powder I ever had was from a friend and it was HORRIBLE although I have no idea what it was.) Because my first experience was so bad, I thought Body Fortress was great; I think I had just their standard chocolate. It was decent and inexpensive. But, it's not that great compared to other things I've had. It's definitely a trade off.

Trutein is expensive, it's around $40 for 4lbs of protein powder. ON and Combat are a similar price, but the tubs are slightly bigger at 5lbs, so you get more for your money. Body Fortress I think is about half that price (I haven't priced it in a while).
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like Trutein as well, but I stick with the vanilla flavor.
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Peanut Butter made by Bluestar Nutraceuticals. Seriously tastes like you're drinking a milkshake... sooo yummy.
  • mericose
    mericose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I have a short list now :smile:
  • razeak
    razeak Posts: 12
    Options
    The Optimum Nutrition stuff is pretty tasty and mixes well.
  • dafoe88
    dafoe88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen (vanilla ice cream flavour) from Costco because:

1) it's more affordable
    2) sodium content (I try to keep my sodium intake low, most whey isolates will have approx 140/150mg per scoop mine has zero)

I haven't tried many others.......

+1 on kaizen for both reasons. I also found that this one was easier on my guts than others that I've tried. Been using this one for years. They go on sale somewhat often too.

I prefer the vanilla as well but you should try mixing chocolate and vanilla together!