Numb feet on the elliptical

Options
Does anyone have trouble with numb feet on the elliptical? After only 20 minutes I have numbness in my feet. It goes away within about 10 minutes after I stop. It's not enough to make me stop using it but it is annoying and a little worrisome.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Check that your shoes or shoelaces are not too tight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Agree with tiptoe - when I had that issue it was a shoe lacing problem. This link has photos of different lacing techniques that can help, along with descriptions of when/why each one may be useful. Shoe Lacing Techniques
  • TakingBackLife31
    TakingBackLife31 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same problem after 25 mins or so. And it doesn't seem to be a lacing problem with my shoes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have that problem as well. I did some alternative lacing on my shoes, which somewhat helps (http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/), but I mostly just try to move my feet when I can. I try to wiggle my toes or occasionally try to lift my feet at the top of arc (this takes some practice as I almost killed myself at first, but I'm also super clumsy).

It's basically because even though you are moving your legs, your feet just don't move while you're doing the elliptical, so they fall asleep.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I have this problem also, but I noticed it only happens on the elliptical that doesn't have the pedals that slide up and down... I might not be explaining correctly, but the ellipticals where you can't adjust the incline. When I use the ellipiticals where you can adjust the incline it doesn't happen. However, when I use the elliptical that can't be adjusted it happens and I make sure my shoelaces are very, very loose and I sometimes just pedal backwards and it takes the pressure off my toes.

I hope this helps.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for your shoes? It is possible they are too small/stretching over your toes/too narrow a toe box/any number of problems with the shoe fit.

Do you clench your toes while you're on the elliptical? Clenching can cause tingling/numbness
    Do you hold on to the arm pieces (stationary or moving ones)? You could be leaning forward and putting excess weight on your toes. Holding on at all can screw up your form AND causes you to burn fewer calories.

Do you use an incline? Adding an incline could force you off your toes if you're leaning on them.

Do you lift your heels off of the elliptical? Do you "bounce" on the elliptical? Either could also cause toe numbness.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good post, good advice. Thank you!
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you try the shoe lacing and adjust your position, like people suggested above and it doesn't help, check your actual shoes. I had this problem and it was the arch of my shoes. I have super duper flat feet and when I started having the tingling and numbness, I went to a running store and they hooked me up with new shoes and new awesome inserts and it solved the problem.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have my own elliptical at home, and use it barefoot and still get numbness. I don't worry about it.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    It's basically because even though you are moving your legs, your feet just don't move while you're doing the elliptical, so they fall asleep.

This....It happens to me also only on the elliptical. My shoes fit properly.. I was fitted at a running store. Try lifting your feet occassionally and even peddling backwards at times.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have my own elliptical at home, and use it barefoot and still get numbness. I don't worry about it.

really? I used to do 60 minutes workouts and around 45-50 min mark I take my shoes off and the numbness goes away.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm on the elliptical several times a week and I have the same problem - and have had it for years. Fortunately mine go numb in the last 15 minutes of my 60-70 minutes workout - every now and then it starts early and I can't handle the feeling and hop on the treadmill. I believe it's a poor circulation issue - I wear super thin socks, loosen my laces and as some previously posted, I wiggle my toes, lift my feet and pedal backwards to reduce the numbness and increase circulation to my feet. Once and only once - I tried wearing super thick socks and using the elliptical without shoes, still numbness - that's when I concluded it was poor circulation for me.
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    that happens to me as well... I believe it is due to my varicose veins which causes poor circulation in my legs...
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This happens to me also. I now make sure to shift my feet around. I think my problem was caused by my feet never moving.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's common. I find that it happens most when I have my weight in the balls of my feet. So I try to shift to my heels more often. (Also if I turn it up to higher resistance, it kind of forces the shift to heels.)
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked because that happens to me too! My feet go numb about 15 min into my workout so I have to split it up. My shoes aren't tight either, I'm really not sure why they go numb!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I have that problem as well. I did some alternative lacing on my shoes, which somewhat helps (http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/), but I mostly just try to move my feet when I can. I try to wiggle my toes or occasionally try to lift my feet at the top of arc (this takes some practice as I almost killed myself at first, but I'm also super clumsy).

I have the same issue and I agree with this post. Try to take the pressure off your toe occasionally. Also, I have very rectangular toes but not a wide foot. I were either Asics or Saconey shoes b/c they are wider in the toes. I have had fewer issue with these brands.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The main reason why it happens to many is because of the the CONSISTENT pressure on the posterial tibial nerve. Notice it doesn't happen when walking on a treadmill or running. Lifting feet off the pedals occasionally can help relieve this. Also push of your heels more to help relieve it. It's normal for many, but these tips can help alleviate the numbness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png