Knowing when to take time out

Options
Hi,

I started home workouts over a year ago. Working out daily at least 5 days a week – it’s my new lifestyle and i love it. I get antsy if i can’t get my workouts in.

Over the last year I’ve worked through coughs & colds and minor ailments, maybe taking a day off here or there if feeling really poorly. I guess I've been lucky.

But now I’m dealing with a ‘dry socket’ after a miserable tooth extraction. Need follow up surgery (minor) to remove left behind root also. It’s hell on earth. I carried on working out for four days after the extraction and took my usual wk end off.

Was so miserable last night & in pain I didn't work out. Now I can’t decide whether to have more time off to rest & encourage healing or work through. I don’t want to take time off as I really enjoy it & want to keep on track (just going into Phase 3 of Body revolution). On the other hand, this pain which is only starting to abate is like the 8th circle of hell and if i can do anything to make it go i will ....

Sorry I know this is one of these annoying whiny posts where it’s ultimately my choice but interested in your views!

A

Replies

• pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt more if you work out? If so, rest. If you're on painkillers that make you drowsy, rest.

If it's not making it any worse, and you're not taking anything that comes with a warning about operating machinery (because that'd make me afraid I'd drop a weight on my own face), I'd keep working out.
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

It hurts a bit with cardio.. I'm on ibuprofen and dihydrocodeine.. although am hoping to not need them soon, but at the moment i can't bear it without them.

I might try some yoga as an alernative.. it's just making me more miserable as the pain killers are also making me retain water. So I've eaten little due to pain but feel like a blimp and the non excerise is adding to it..

Sigh. must stop moaning, it will fix eventually I guess. Worse troubles at sea!

A
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's ok to take time off to heal...it's actually part of having a healthy relationship with your fitness. You don't have to be balls to the wall all of the time. Hell, I take a week rest week every 8 weeks or so just because it is good for me and beneficial to my overall fitness. That doesn't mean I can't and don't go for a walk or something...but taking a rest from vigorous activity from time to time is a good thing, especially when you NEED to heal.