Strong Core = Running Strong

Options
Runners World just posted an article on their FB page about the importance of runners having a strong core. It was a good reminder for me as that is the one thing I tend to neglect in my training so I thought I'd mention it here as some folks may be new to running. A weak core can lead to other injuries and bad running form/posture as you fatigue. The exercises they said were beneficial to runners specifically are Superman, Bridges, and Planks (front and side) and they recommended doing them at least 3 nights a week for 15 min. I think I can do that!! Anyone up for a core strengthening challenge?

Oh, here's the link to the article http://m.runnersworld.com/workouts/fast-abs?page=1

Replies

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    this was very interesting and explained why my back hurt on my 20-miler at the weekend, and why i ended up shuffling the last 5. thanks!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good reminder. Bonus that these are things that can be done at home, after the kids go to bed that won't wake them up, lol.
  • courtneybrooke27
    courtneybrooke27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great tips and article! I'm in training for my first half marathon, and have been finding that I neglect good posture/form when I get fatigued towards the end of my run. I will definitely start incorporating these core workouts into my routine more often. Thanks!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I slack on core work too! But I just started doing core work yoga at nights. I will start adding the plank in for a few minutes afterwards, that's such a great one that I always forget about.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can definitely attest to having a stronger core helping running and preventing injuries.

Strengthening my core is helping my pelvic tilt. Which is in turn helping fix my other issues lol
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes! Core work is incredibly important and people really tend to neglect it and think that other exercises will solve everything and that is just not the case. You don't need to do a ton of Core work but some is definitely warranted. The Superman iso-hold is a really good exercise and really helps with running posture as well. Other variations

- Front Plank w/ Hip Extension: Front Plank but hold one leg off the ground basically.
    - Side Plank w / Hip Extension: Side plank and holding one leg up in the air.
    - Back Raises on a 45-degree bench.
    - Single Arm Farmer Carries w/ Dumbbell: Keep your posture straight while carrying a heavy DB.

Also, there's some talk of fatigue in this thread. Don't forget some basic strength training as well. The stronger you are the more efficiently you will run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A rock solid core is pretty important for just about anything you do in the fitness arena...not to mention life in general. It's basically your foundation. I don't do a ton of isolated core work, but I do a little something pretty much every day.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can attest to this point. The stronger my core seemed to get (after countless planks, side planks, supermans...etc) my running seemed to get easier and faster. I didn't seem as sore after a run as I was before as my strength in my core increased.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Good advice. Maintaining proper running form is also much easier with a strong core. This is especially noticeable near the end of a long run when fatigued
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been to therapy twice recently and take away from my therapist was....never skip your core work and you won't ever have to come back and see me. So far so good. The core is key to everything.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I seem to be in a "valley" right now, so I'm looking to boost myself. 3 nights a week? Do-able!
  • thadenge
    thadenge Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great post, I needed that reminder...yep I'm in!
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is so important. I kept getting a stitch in my side when I was running regularly from bad form (leaning too far forward) and bad pacing... Learned my lesson there.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    This is so important. I kept getting a stitch in my side when I was running regularly from bad form (leaning too far forward) and bad pacing... Learned my lesson there.

Core work and you may actually need some separate hamstring work as well. :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    In. Are we starting today onwards?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    And trail running :) If you've got access to unpaved running, it's great for the core. If there are hills, even better!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    And trail running :) If you've got access to unpaved running, it's great for the core. If there are hills, even better!

Yes! I am a lifelong runner with my fastest years in the trails of Virginia as a cross country runner. I am sad that I feel uncomfortable running those same trails today. Times have changed. But ... you're so right. Trail running is the ultimate exercise!

OP: I'm in! I work my core, but could always use some encouragement! :)
  • Arimenta35
    Arimenta35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great! Lets start today with a 15-20 min core workout. I'm training for a distance trail race in May so I HAVE to get this core going!! Does anyone have a good source of core exercises? If so, please share. I found a series on Active.com that we can start off with. Good Luck!
    Day 1: Focus on Entire Core - Modify based on your level. Repeat 2-3x. Minimal breaks between sets. video demo of these exercises found here: strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration/
    or follow these directions:
    1.Modified Bicycle: lie on your back and hold one leg up in the air. Your thigh should be perpendicular to your body and your shin parallel to the ground. Hold your other leg 2-3 inches off the ground. Hold for several seconds and switch legs. Make sure your lower back is in a neutral position during the entire exercise. You can put one hand in the small of your back to gauge this: make sure your back neither presses down or lifts up from your hand.
    2.Plank: lie on your stomach and prop your weight on your forearms and toes. Keep a straight line from your head to your feet and hold this position for the entire exercise.
    3.Bridge: lie on your back with your feet flat on the ground. Lift your hips so there is a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Extend one leg straight out, hold for several seconds, then put it back down on the ground and repeat. Make sure your hips don’t dip or your butt sags to the ground.
    4.Side Plank: on your side, lift your body so your weight is on one forearms and the side of one foot. There should be a straight diagonal line from your head to your feet. I usually do 10 lateral leg raises during this exercise as an advanced form of the exercise.
    5.Modified Bird Dog: in a table position, lift your left arm so it’s parallel to the ground. At the same time, lift your right leg so your thigh is parallel to the ground and your shin is perpendicular. Your knee should be bent at 90 degrees and your glute muscle activated. Hold for several seconds and switch sides.
    6.Supine Leg Lift: lie on your back with your weight on your elbows and heels, lift your hips and keep a straight line from your toes to your shoulders. Lift one leg about 8 inches off the ground, hold for several seconds, and repeat with the opposite leg.
  • olgasgarden
    olgasgarden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful :) count me in :)