Should I deal with the pain or wait it out?

Hi everyone. So I'm trying to build muscle. I wanted to know if it's bad for building in any way to use medicine to take out the built up lactic acid in them faster (or to get rid of the pain faster)?

Replies

• Bump?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Are you having actual pain or just muscle soreness?
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    I have no idea about the muscle building part, but I find motrin and the like very ineffective for soreness from working out. I feel much better if I take a quick job and stretch, though.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Muscle soreness - ice/heat, stretching, ibuprofen (or your preferred pain reducer) and light exercise.

Joint/tendon/ligament pain - see your doctor
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Ask a medical professional, not an online forum.
  • cal0264
    cal0264 Posts: 10 Member
    Two things here: 1) you should be giving your "worked" muscle groups a resting period and 2) the EXTENT of the pain is the question: is the pain from injury/overwork or just lactic acid buildup? If it's the latter, try stretching before/after exercise (and do a good warmup before strength training. Most fitness experts are now suggesting a minimum 5 minute warmup on bike or elliptical instead of just "static" stretches. See http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-bodybuilders-can-avoid-tendon-trouble.html).

It's awesome to be motivated but be careful to not push it and put yourself out of the game.
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Pain and soreness are two very different things and it sounds like you're talking about soreness.

It's natural to be sore after a workout. Cool downs, stretching, and rest are the best ways to deal with that. Assuming you're doing all three of those, then it's fine to use protein, potassium, and anti-inflammatories to promote muscle regeneration and reduce discomfort. I used to use protein shakes or bars after a work out. I prefer naproxen sodium (brand name Aleve) as an anti-inflammatory. Remember that overuse can damage your liver so you want to take as few as you can (one after a workout is usually enough).

As always, consult your doctor before you try anything and make sure you let him or her know what pills and supplements you are taking every visit.