Is getting a fitbit really worth it?

Options
I see everyone has a fitbit. I want one as well because I need something track all my info when I'm working out. My question is are they worth buying?? If so what is the best one? They are a little pricey so I want get the best one. I need your opinion :)

Replies

• Jeanniesb
    Jeanniesb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes getting one is so worth it! I got mine for monitoring my sleep patterns then saw how many steps that I took in a day and that shocked me. I really thought I was doing much more than I was. Because of my fitbit flex wrist band-bracelet) it encurrages me to move more than I would! I thought it was pricy at first too. But to me its worth so much more after I started using it. You will see!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For some people, yes...for others, no. For me, not worth it in the least.
  • jayledger477
    jayledger477 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aseeser92 wrote: »
    I see everyone has a fitbit. I want one as well because I need something track all my info when I'm working out. My question is are they worth buying?? If so what is the best one? They are a little pricey so I want get the best one. I need your opinion :)

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A fitbit (at least the Flex that most people have) doesn't really track working out. It's just a pedometer for the most part.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and would buy the same model again when I need to replace it. I bought it as a reward for losing my first 20lbs and I've gone on to lose another 92lbs since then. It definitely motivates me to do more and not to kid myself I've been more active than I have. If you sync it with this site it automatically adjusts your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, very active) calorie allowances so that you do not under or over eat for the rate of loss you have set yourself and you no longer need to log exercise apart from swimming. Once you've bought it there are no ongoing subscription charges and if used correctly it could be the best money you've ever spent! I considered mine cost me the equivalent of 16 WeightWatchers or SlimmingWorld classes (if you need to make an excuse to yourself?) and considering I use MyFitnessPal for free I'm still making a huge saving!
  • jayledger477
    Options
    I bought my fitbit the other day , the one for 100.00 for 40.00 more I should have bought the other BUT not to knock ghe100.00 one it's fantastic I went with the fitbit not a knock off brand. I can't say anything bad about it. The reason for it was I downloaded the App... My Fitness Pal... Never been so motivated and happy with the weight loss . But having the bitfit It's always on my wrist tend to forget my iPhone at home so having bitfit is fantastic
  • jayledger477
    Options
    :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the point of it. People have gotten into great shape for years without them. Personally, I think that the $100.00 spent on a fitbit could be spent on something more productive like a good pair of running shoes, a gym membership, higher quality food, etc...
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It is more useful for people doing cardio based exercise rather than weights.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I really don't see the point of it. People have gotten into great shape for years without them. Personally, I think that the $100.00 spent on a fitbit could be spent on something more productive like a good pair of running shoes, a gym membership, higher quality food, etc...

I get this. They are absolutely not necessary.

That said, I have worn mine every day since I got it more than two years ago. I cannot tell you how often I've walked down the office to talk to someone instead of calling, taken my dog on a longer walk, chosen to walk to the store instead of drive, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc.

All to add steps to my Fitbit.

Yes, I could do all that without the external motivation of a stupid tiny device telling me I hit my goal.

But I can afford the device (and not have to sacrifice shoes, a gym membership, and food) and it works well with my competitive nature. This thing has been well worth it for me.

ETA: This is not what you want to track a workout. It's what you want if you wish to track your regular daily activity. If you're looking for something to track cardio, get the Polar Ft4 (which is less expensive than a Fitbit). If you're looking for something to track weights, don't bother - your guess is as good as mine.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

That said, I have worn mine every day since I got it more than two years ago. I cannot tell you how often I've walked down the office to talk to someone instead of calling, taken my dog on a longer walk, chosen to walk to the store instead of drive, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc.

Yes, I could do all that without the external motivation of a stupid tiny device telling me I hit my goal.

But I can afford the device (and not have to sacrifice shoes, a gym membership, and food) and it works well with my competitive nature. This thing has been well worth it for me.

ETA: This is not what you want to track a workout. It's what you want if you wish to track your regular daily activity. If you're looking for something to track cardio, get the Polar Ft4 (which is less expensive than a Fitbit). If you're looking for something to track weights, don't bother - your guess is as good as mine.

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Its an everyday activity monitor/motivator, not a workout tracker. My sister and mom just got them too, and the "competitions" you can set up with others for who gets more steps has been a dorky fun game for us.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options

The main selling point for me is I work in a job where most of the people I have an opportunity to get to know are actually 1 plus hours away. I know few people here and the ones I do know other than DH are not very concerned with getting fit.

However, my bother in law and my sister are and they have fitbits. there are also many people on mfp with fitbits = remote workout buddies.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options

All of this! It is a motivator for me, and doesn't cut into my gym or food budgets.

In fact, there have been multiple days where I've looked at my wrist at lunchtime at the office, though "Oh no, I'm not on track to make my step goal", and taken the elevator to the lobby and walked up the stairs. Guys - I work on the 59th floor. So.Many.Stairs.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I Compete with my friends, and walk more just to beat them. If you want to track workouts, get the hr model.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I started my fitness journey with a fitbit one. This was a great investment to get me going. I started to move much more as the fit bit gave me the incentive to reach at least 10,000 steps a day.

Once I got into running I bought myself a multi sports watch from Polar together with a heart rate strap. This allows me to track particularly well my cardio exercises, not so good for weight training.

I use it mainly for running, walking, elliptical, biking and hiking. It works very well for those activities.

Personally I would not go for the fitbit surge or charge as they are both trying to measure your heartrate on your wrist. These heart rate measurements are not as accurate as wearing a heart rate strap. Just have a look at the fitbit website and you can see that a lot of people are complaining about inaccurate heart rate measurements!

For approximately the same price you can get the new Polar M400 which allows you to track not only your daily activities, steps and sleep, but it is also a very good running watch.

Anyhow, best of luck
    Stef.
  • xxlilkaycexx
    xxlilkaycexx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got a flex for Christmas and while I like it, I don't think Id actually spend that much money on one myself. The best thing about it is that it motivates me to walk more than I would when I'm not wearing it. I think if it was me, I would buy a cheaper version of the fitbit (but I'm cheap). Of course, I don't have friends with fitbits or participate in any challenges so that could be why I am not as crazy about mine as other people are.
  • olyabe
    olyabe Posts: 36
    Options
    Will Fitbit track steps taken on a stairmaster? (stationary one, not the one with the looped steps treadmill style?)