slim rice and the zero noodle

Options
So today is my first day of using slim rice and zero noodles. Im using it for 2/3 meals of the day. Day 1. Odd texture and no flavour of its own but when mixed with vegtables, protein and a flavoursome sauce it makes a filling meal.
I feel VERY full after my evening meal even though iv not consumed hundreds of calories :D could this be the way forward?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I couldnt afford to eat a specialty product that many times a day. But if it helps you, feel free.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Ack. Vile. No thanks.
  • zanqundria
    zanqundria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never heard of either of these but sounds interesting where did you buy them at?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably the one crazyperson on earth who loves these, but I do. I use the Miracle Noodle brand, usually. They do give a very full feeling - maybe the fiber?

These are NOT for everybody. They kind of squeak between your teeth. This doesn't bother me, but when I told my friend about it, she said, "I don't eat food that squeaks." LOL.

Shirataki noodles have been a staple in Asia for centuries but to a Westerner, they may feel and taste "weird."
  • leahtheeds
    leahtheeds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got them from holland & Barrett :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I tried them a few times and found that I was never full for more than an hour or so at a time. Zero calories = zero nutrition.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I def mess with shiritaki noodles. I have no problem with them at all.

I found this tip on the forums one day and live by it:

After you rinse the noodles, dry roast them in a non stick pan (maybe with a little bit of cooking spray) and cook them for about 9 minutes. It changes the texture slightly, but in a good way IMO.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tried it. Great for having a pasta with meat topping if you are out of carbs. But not as a food replacement. as above poster said no nutrition
  • leahtheeds
    Options
    The weird texture doesn't bother me, either, its the full feelin at the end of the meal thats won me over. Looking forward to trying out some new recipes with them
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I doubt this is your answer. Unless you actually *like* these products (and you'd be in the minority), it's not sustainable. Why not use regular rice/noodles, just less?
  • leahtheeds
    Options
    Regular rice/noodles are high in calories.
    The slim rice has 7 kcal per 100g whilst white basmati has 350kcal per 100g.
    Whilst there is next to no nutrition to them, for me it adds some bulk to my meal without the extra calories.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I know I'm probably the one crazyperson on earth who loves these, but I do. I use the Miracle Noodle brand, usually.

Me, too. Either that brand or House Food (?).
    ...when I told my friend about it, she said, "I don't eat food that squeaks."

LOL. I wouldn't say that they squeak. I guess they're kind of rubbery? I don't know, I haven't had them in a while. To me, it almost made me feel bad about my meals bc they had no value, so I was basically eating just sauce and crumbled veggie "meat". o_o

OP, when I first tried to find them a year ago, I had to go to Whole Foods, then, I saw them in Kroger a few months later. Now, a year later, Walmart even sells them. I'd say they're catching on. But, like LAWoman said, it's not for everyone. This will be just like TOFU.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's just plant fiber, so it's not really any more silly than adding vegetables or greens to a meal to add to the food volume without adding much to the calories.

That said, I've never seen them in stores and didn't like the prices online so I ordered a bottle of the powdered form instead, called glucomannan, and I mix it with water and chug it before some meals as a fiber supplement. I don't know if it matters enough to do forever but it's cheaper this way than with noodles, unless you find them pretty cheap. The bottle has 113 servings for like $13 on Amazon right now, though I think I paid more like $20.