Very disheartened!

Options
rafikiphoto
rafikiphoto Posts: 35 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
In a whole week I have only lost 200 grammes. :( Before that I had lost 7 kg in 52 days. This last week I have eaten less and exercised more than the weeks when I was losing over a kilo a week. With my daily cardio I burn nearly 1000 calories (walking and cycling), my weight loss calorie allowance is 1500 calories so I have about 2500 calories each day. I rarely eat more than 1500 so I leave 1000 uneaten!

I am so fed up.

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    are you not aware yet that weight loss is not linear?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is like that though. Like, I'll go weeks and weeks losing nothing at all, then overnight I'll drop a pound all at once.

You just have to keep doing it and maybe weigh yourself only once a month.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It could be you are not eating enough and your body is holding on to the weight bc of that. If you rarely eat over 1500 and burn 1000 then your body is only getting a net of 500cals you need at least 1200 net to be healthy. Also do you use a HRM to know for sure you are burning 1000 and do you accurately measure your food? I have experienced this in the past I was eating too low cal for my workouts and felt it on the scale and my overall performance was suffering.
  • jmcdgo18
    jmcdgo18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try adding some of those exercise calories back in. See what happens.
  • drjimmy86
    drjimmy86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exercising builds muscle which weighs more than fat.
  • galadriel0407
    galadriel0407 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also get frustrated when I don't see any reward for my hard work. There could be a number of reasons why your body didn't respond the way we would expect. Maybe you are putting on muscle, or perhaps your body has become acclimated to the type of exercise that you have been doing. If you have been biking a lot, maybe mix it up with some swimming, or anything that has a bit of different motion to work other muscle groups. Your picture looks great though, so please don't despair!
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Despite what anyone else says, starvation mode does NOT exist. If you eat too little, you lose weight. That's what dieting is. Your body does not "freak out" and hold onto weight if you're eating what other people tell you is too little.

You could be overestimating your burn (don't eat back all of your exercise calories. At most, eat maybe 1/3 of them back). Also, like others said, weight loss is not linear. Sometimes I see fractions of pounds come off every day, and sometimes I won't lose anything all month and then suddenly drop 2 or 3 pounds seemingly overnight. Just keep working at it, and it'll come off.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    drjimmy86 wrote: »

That's what I was going to say.
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Sailatsorf wrote: »
    Despite what anyone else says, starvation mode does NOT exist. If you eat too little, you lose weight. That's what dieting is. Your body does not "freak out" and hold onto weight if you're eating what other people tell you is too little.

This seems so logical. Why are there so many who refute that? Are they afraid we will all stop eating?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    drjimmy86 wrote: »

No
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same situation. It is so frustrating. I should lose 2 pounds a week but have stayed at the same spot for a month. I just keep at it hoping that it will eventually kick in again.
  • adempster69
    adempster69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. The difference is that you are swapping out the fat for muscle. The best gauge of the fat/muscle exchange measurements. That is where you will notice the difference.
  • rafikiphoto
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. To answer some of the queries: yes, I am meticulous about weighing/measuring my food/calories. I am not eating back any of my exercise calories most days and very few if I do. Exercise calories measured by Mapmywalk and Mapmyride apps. Food calories measured from MFP database. As I say I did lose 7 kg on this same regime but now I seem to have hit a brick wall. I do take comfort from others who have suffered the same but then gone on to lose more again.

I am fed up but I'm not a quitter :) Onward and downward as they say...
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. To answer some of the queries: yes, I am meticulous about weighing/measuring my food/calories. I am not eating back any of my exercise calories most days and very few if I do. Exercise calories measured by Mapmywalk and Mapmyride apps. Food calories measured from MFP database. As I say I did lose 7 kg on this same regime but now I seem to have hit a brick wall. I do take comfort from others who have suffered the same but then gone on to lose more again.

Good attitude! By my calculation, you did lose last week--about 1/2 a pound. That's still good!!!! :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

Be patient and give it time. What's your option, really? It will happen. Good for you for not giving up. That will only make things worse.

• rafikiphoto
    Options
    o:)
  • drjimmy86
    drjimmy86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. The difference is that you are swapping out the fat for muscle. The best gauge of the fat/muscle exchange measurements. That is where you will notice the difference.

And a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks. Not sure that you are getting the point. A cubic inch of fat weighs less than a cubic inch of muscle.

Start exercising and you add muscles mass.
  • tgehr580
    tgehr580 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can eat at the bottom end of my calories, not add back exercise calories, and still lose weight. My Mother needs to eat near the top of her calories, and add back at least half of her exercise calories to lose the most weight per week. Try adding back more of your exercise calories. We are all a little different! :)
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sailatsorf wrote: »

You could be overestimating your burn (don't eat back all of your exercise calories. At most, eat maybe 1/3 of them back). Also, like others said, weight loss is not linear. Sometimes I see fractions of pounds come off every day, and sometimes I won't lose anything all month and then suddenly drop 2 or 3 pounds seemingly overnight. Just keep working at it, and it'll come off.

Just had the same issue. 1000+ calorie deficits, working out like crazy, keeping calories at or near 1200. Not dropping a pound. Had a metabolic test done. Stopped working out twice a day (down to once, 60 to 70 minutes with weights), increased calories in to 1500 -1600 and the weight started dropping instantly.....and has remained dropping good since the test I had showed I had slowed my metabolic rate down to much.....SO, STARVATION mode.......call it what you want. I DOES EXIST......there is a metabolic reaction to too high a defecit. How many of you that say it does not exist, have metabolic testing done regularly??? IF you don't, then you can't say there is no relationship. Ever heard of cortisol??