HELP :( 2/7 day overeaten. will i still lose weight?

Options
I am supposed to be eating 1340 calories a day on average starting this week! (1lb weight loss)

Monday : FAIL :( I ate about 2000+
Tuesday: SUCCESS :) I ate about 1600 but worked out so put me just under.
Wednesday: FAIL :( I ate about 2000

Will I still be able to lose 1lb if I kept the rest of the week quite low cal? Like just eat soups, tuna and chicken with veg everyday? I really want to lose weight this week, I feel like such a failure.

Any advice would be awesome :)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My advice is to keep what has passed in the past. I wouldn't starve myself to overcome some bad days, not for a pound. Just learn from the experience and move on.
  • rowdyradloff
    Options
    Key here is to have more good days then bad days. If I have bad day/cheat day I try to have 2 real good days where I stay way below and work out hard. The weight loss struggle is real just stay focused on your goals and take each day as it comes. It's very hard but remember the hardest part of weight loss is the eating part. You are your own worst enemy when dieting!!! Good luck!! :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start with a higher calorie amount and then you can gradually cut down from there.

You need to learn to be patient with yourself. Monday and Wednesday were not failures. You tracked your calories. Ask yourself what lead to eating more on those days. What was your mind telling you? Did you have the food available that you needed? Did you have time for 3 good meals?

Trying to make up for days by undereating is just going to set you up for overeating. The key is to take this time to learn more about yourself and figure out what works for you to allow you to track everything and start to eat more healthfully.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have done a similar thing...trying to make up for a bad day by eating way less the rest of the week. It always backfires. The undereating makes me much more likely to have another 2000 calorie day.
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    My advice is to keep what has passed in the past. I wouldn't starve myself to overcome some bad days, not for a pound. Just learn from the experience and move on.

I strongly agree with this.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well, no you won't lose weight if you over eat, soups are not inherently low cal either. If you want to eat more, why don't you add in more exercise so you're still burning more than goes in?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal may be too low also if you can't maintain it, technically you went over 2 out of 3 days.... I wouldn't label the rest of the week a success until it's done...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're not "supposed to" eat 1350, you just selected that as your intake.

You can lose if you are below your maintenance for the week. Whether it will be a full pound or not depends on your body.

What are your stats? Unless you are like, 100lbs, you can eat more than 1340 calories to lose 1lb/week.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Will you?

Likely, no.

It is a simple matter of honesty and calculation.

(1) Honesty: why do you think you can restrict even more if you couldn't do it with less? It's time to get real with yourself. This absolutely can not be done without strict honesty about what the limits of what you can handle, and 100% integrity in tracking to the plan.

(2) Do the math: 1 pound a week is 3500 calories, 500 a day. At 1340, the first day you lost 660 (2000-1340) of your deficit, the second day you lost 300-ish, the third day again another 660 ... now you need 500 a day (which you already couldn't do) PLUS you need to make up another 1600-ish (400 a day over 4 days)... so you need a 900 a day deficit when you couldn't stick to 500? Not. Likely.

Set a more reasonable goal than is comfortable and you CAN follow through on ... keeping in mind (1) above.
  • 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

I totally agree.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know this goes against everyone on here but I quite often make up for bad days (the weekend!) by restricting my calories during the week. When I first started MFP a couple years ago I actually practiced the 5/2 diet where I had two days a week at 600 calories and ate at plan the rest of the week. It was a good way to gauge what true hunger felt like and suddenly 1300 cals seems quite adequate! Don't beat yourself up about your two days of being over, but do your best to compensate and consider a zero loss and zero gain as acceptable. It's not a race!