Strength training burn calories

Options
How come when I log anything strength training it doesn't show how many calories I burn.

Replies

• BigmanTG
    BigmanTG Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Even though strength training is a great weight loss asset, there is no simple formula for calculating calories burned during strength training because every strength-training workout is so different. You lift different weights with different muscle groups throughout a single workout, whereas during cardio you use the same muscles in the same way for several continuous minutes.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Look in cardio, then type in strength.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yea i log mine under cardio. But I also wear a heart rate monitor to actually calculate my calorie burn which helps a lot! What kind of workout are you doing?
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just log a generic number usually 150-200 for 30mins unlike Cardio the cal burn from Weights keeps going when you are done =) Lift away
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor every time I exercise. It tells me how many calories I burn for whatever activity I do. I log it under cardio with the exact number of calories burned.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Like BigmanTG said, the issue is that it's hard for the system to quantify what YOU do for strength training in terms of calories.

What has generally worked for me is to:

1) Tell MFP I don't work out, so my daily calorie goal starts out at my "Sedentary" BMR.
    2) Using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation and an activity multiplier that corresponds to my workout schedule, I figure out what my TDEE is.
    3) I subtract the BMR from the TDEE.
    4) I add the difference into my exercise log as "cardio".
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ditto the strength training under cardio. I also wear a HRM. The MFP estimate isn't far off for me actually.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    al369 wrote: »
    Ditto the strength training under cardio. I also wear a HRM. The MFP estimate isn't far off for me actually.
    riley711 wrote: »
    I wear my heart rate monitor every time I exercise. It tells me how many calories I burn for whatever activity I do. I log it under cardio with the exact number of calories burned.

What kind of HRM are you guys wearing? Just curious. :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do like spickard34. I've been working out long enough now that I have a decent idea what a 150 vs. 300 calorie burn feels like. You want to underestimate calories burned, so using the generic "strength training" under cardio isn't a bad idea.
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    csuhar wrote: »
    What has generally worked for me is to:

1) Tell MFP I don't work out, so my daily calorie goal starts out at my "Sedentary" BMR.
    2) Using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation and an activity multiplier that corresponds to my workout schedule, I figure out what my TDEE is.
    3) I subtract the BMR from the TDEE.
    4) I add the difference into my exercise log as "cardio".

Is that how you have more exercise calories? I was wondering this, because I've been eating back my exercise calories because I'm hungry. I lost more than I was supposed to as well. I had it set to only lose a little over a pound a week and I lost 2 a week.