To much water? Is there such a thing?

Options
Hello everyone....I have never had a problem drinking plenty of water and I am aware of its health benefits. Lately I have increased my water to double what MFP suggests, or as close as I can come. Can anyone tell me if I am spending my life in the ladies room for nothing or is that much water actually helping me? How much water is too much? Thanks for any input you can give me....

Replies

• FruitLoop05317
    Options
    bump!!! i drink a ton as well...lol
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Too much water can kill you apparently! I seem to remember something about a woman drinking 6 litres of water in a short time (can't remember how long) to win a Nintendo Wii, and she went home with headaches, and she died!
    So steady on!! :D
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I drink at least 15 cups a day. But, I'm also 336 lbs. I think you have to be careful not to flush all the sodium out of your body. But, I need that much to feel hydrated.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would say that after a week or two of drinking that much water and you are still running to the bathroom a lot, then you are drinking more than you need. Once your body realizes it's going to be getting enough water on a day to day basis it will stop hoarding it and release, that's what makes you go all the time. Once you get to your happy medium, you will find your trips to the loo will subside.

I've heard stories about water overdoses, not sure if they are true but if they are true they are way way over double what mfp suggests.

So, I don't think you are harming yourself, but why bother drinking that much if your body doesn't need it.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Too much water can kill you apparently! I seem to remember something about a woman drinking 6 litres of water in a short time (can't remember how long) to win a Nintendo Wii, and she went home with headaches, and she died!

Yep. It's called water intoxication or water poisoning.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options

From what I remember from that story.....the contest was "Hold your Wee, for a Wii"....though I think she did drink an ton of water, she also had to hold it when she went to the bathroom....I'm sure that water just sitting in her body had something to do with her death too....It's not good on your organs to hold it in.....
  • taylor1098
    taylor1098 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Drinking alot of water is fine, it depends on how fast you drink it really. If you are gulping down a bottle in 5 minutes than thats not good but drinking it slowly is fine :)
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I strive for 3 liters over the course of the day, and I drop a lot more weight when I'm constantly drinking water. I think the only health issue is making sure you get enough electrolytes.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Yes water toxicity can kill you, it has a fancy name too, but you have to drink a large amount in a short time for that. I figure 8 glasses a day is enough for me, that way I am not in the bathroom all day and my urine is nice and clear. :smile:
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You need to drink a ridiculous amount like the above Wii story (which is 100% true). Kids in high school sometimes try this because when your blood "thins out" you feel high; 100% legal and water is everywhere. Here is some information on the subject; I doubt you have to worry about this, but if you want to read up on it it's here :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much water! You have to drink a LOT at one time. There has been reported incidents of people getting water intoxication, but again it depends on the individual person. This usually occurs when someone drink exessive amounts of water in a short period of time. Basically it depends on how active you are and how much other fluids (ex coffee) you take in. Basically if you feel nauseous after drinking water you should slow it down. Here is a link to a water calculator:
    http://www.calculatorslive.com/Daily-Water-Intake-Calculator.aspx
    Hopefully that helps :smile:

Cindi
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    water intoxication also known as hyponatremia (low salt in blood) can and does kill every year. I know I am a critical care RN. How much is too much is a variable that goes with weight / height or BMI. Also how fast you drink it and if you drink it all at once also effects it. The 8 glasses recommended here is not enough to cause it. " All things are poison in the right amount " Socrates.
    Why is it that people think that if one is good then ten is better. Google this. learn on your own. Ask a doctor. there is a group right now doing a drinking water challenge and it is not healthy to exceed by such extremes. imho back off on your water intake to the guidelines
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    This has been discussed at great length more than once. It is called water intoxication. Use the search topic button and you'll find a FOUNTAIN of info- ( bad pun)
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options

From what I remember from that story.....the contest was "Hold your Wee, for a Wii"....though I think she did drink an ton of water, she also had to hold it when she went to the bathroom....I'm sure that water just sitting in her body had something to do with her death too....It's not good on your organs to hold it in.....
    holding it in had nothing to do with her death it was the dilution of her blood that brought her serum sodium down to a critical level
  • OnePsychLynne
    OnePsychLynne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water! It's called "water intoxication" and it can be fatal. Less so if you are eating well so that you don't get nutrients off balance.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I read a very sad case study of a 40+ year old woman with autism that had a compulsive water drinking habit. Her parents stopped her as much as they could, but one day when their back was turned, she drank herself to a heart attack.

I found that so sad.