I'm a little new to this

Options
Hello all, my name is Brittney and while I am not new to my fitness pal, I haven't used it in over 2 years. I signed up for the 12 week body challenge at my local gym and first weigh ins are today. I am taking a nutrition class at my college and as I am learning new material it seems like eating a healthy well balanced diet of protein, dairy, fruit, whole grain and vegetables will help you loose weight better than any other diet that just cuts foods out. Am I right in thinking this? I am trying to make a meal plan but I am not sure if I should find some diet meal plan or make my own based on what I now know about nutrition? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you love in moderation with an eye toward overall health. Any plan is only as good as your adherence, so do something you can do forever.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Britney

I have friends who have signed up to Weight Watchers and Slimming World just to mention a couple and while that may work for them it won't for me. I could not maintain that lifestyle or any diet for a long period of time. I have seen so many people put weight back on when they stop those particular diets and it is only because they are eating regular every day food again. So instead I am making my own health plan one I know I can live with and manage for the rest of my life. This means I eat a variety of foods that I love all in moderation which stays within my daily calorie goal and some exercise even if it is only a brisk walk. The big change I have made is portion control and a balanced meal that contains the carbs, protein, fibre, vitamins and healthy fats my body needs to function on a daily basis. If I want my chocolate or a glass of wine maybe some popcorn when I go to the movies I have to burn the calories, this will stop me from putting on weight again in the future. So far this has worked for me and the biggest thing is I know I can maintain it and I certainly do not feel I am depriving myself of life's small pleasures, they are just in moderation rather than being my meals for the day.

Hope this helps feel free to add me and good luck in your quest for a healthier life!