Frozen Meals ok???

Options
I keep getting told by countless people that Frozen Meals: Healthy Choice Steamers, Smart Ones, Kashi, Lean Cuisines ect are TERRIBLE!?!?! I eat 1 every day for lunch on a 1200 calorie diet this is vs the cafeteria 2,000 calorie lunch I used to eat........I make smart choices like ones that are high in protein and low in calories....am I sabatoging my new lifestyle change by eating these??????

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Terrible based on what? Which aspect of the meals is being identified as terrible?

If they fit your calorie and macro goals, and you don't have health issues that require you to watch your sodium (they do tend to be high in sodium, I'll definitely admit that), then what about them might sabotage your eating plan?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    They are OK. If they help you stick to your plan then don't feel guilty about choosing them. Over time you may find alternatives that are even better. The problems I personally have with frozen meals are that they are high in sodium and usually too low in calories to be a complete meal, and don't really have the macros I want (I want them to be higher protein and higher fat). When I have time, I prefer to cook in batches and pre-portion for quick lunches.
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    No one really says why.....everyone just says "don't eat those...they are so bad for you" I agree they can be high in sodium but I only eat 1 per day for lunch and watch my sodium intake otherwise....
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Terrible based on what? Which aspect of the meals is being identified as terrible?

If they fit your calorie and macro goals, and you don't have health issues that require you to watch your sodium (they do tend to be high in sodium, I'll definitely admit that), then what about them might sabotage your eating plan?

• trishd6
    trishd6 Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't think they are terrible. but one thing you have to watch is the sodium, there is a lot of sodium in those little meals but as long as you stay at or under your sodium count for the day you should be fine. I think the reason people say they are terrible is because it is processed food. I usually do a lean cuisine once or twice a week for lunch but try to switch it up so you are not relying solely on processed foods.
  • lovingmylifein2013
    Options
    I eat Smart Ones and Healthy Choice meals anytime I get on a weight loss kick for my lunches they are quick and easy obviously and I have always lost the weight. Last year Ilost 35 lbs. and starting again as of yesterday. Im all for them.
  • eruntalon84
    eruntalon84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ignoring pseudoscience and vague warnings of foods being "bad" does wonders for your health ;)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat them. Not because they are bad but because I don't like the taste of them. I would prefer to make some brown rice and chicken the night before or make my own food. I do get time being an issue. That is why I tend to meal prep on Sundays. Like others said they tend to be high in sodium.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    They are OK, but can be fairly high in sodium and I find them a little unsatisfying. Convenience foods are wonderful on occasion, but most do better making your own lunches. Do you have a crock pot? Back when I was still working, I would make dishes, especially stews and casseroles, in the crock pot and portion them out into single servings and freeze them. I could then take one out for lunch, which could then be heated up.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Like the others said, they can be quite high in sodium, and of course fresh food is preferable to frozen meals, but you have to start somewhere! If this is what works for you now, then go for it.

I think people get concerned about how healthy they are because of the chemical preservatives that are used to keep the food fresh, even while frozen. Personally, I don't eat them for that reason. But there are a million and one things like that to be concerned about, and it's impossible to keep track of them all! We constantly hear about things that might be bad for you, but if we stayed away from everything that could potentially harm us, we'd all have to rely on growing our own fruits and veggies and only eating those, haha So I'm a fan of eliminating what bad you can, and just focusing on what's best for you right now. If that's how you can get to your healthy goal weight, then keep on doing what you're doing! :)
  • HeyitsTay92
    HeyitsTay92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I keep a handful of them in my freezer at all times in case I'm in a bind. As long as they fit my macros it's all good!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Are they pure organic, ingredients picked by virgin elves by the light of a full moon, and meat only slaughtered with a silver knife forged in applewood and sage fire?

No.

(While I really do prefer to cook from scratch from whole, fresh ingredients, some things can be taken too far)
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I keep a handful of them in my freezer at all times in case I'm in a bind. As long as they fit my macros it's all good!

+1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    They ARE terrible, because they taste like crap and are way too carb- and sodium-heavy for me to bother eating them. They are also usually high in calorie count, at least the GF ones! So not worth it for so few positives.

Subjective. Eat them if you like them and it helps you meet your goals.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    The answer is no. Whether the sodium is high or not, as long as you don't have any health concerns dealing with sodium, keep eating them as long as you can make them fit your calorie allowance and macros. My day is filled with sodium, but it's also filled with plenty of water. Enjoy your meal-in-a-box and don't worry about what the countless amount of people tell you.
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    LOL I prefer to cook too but with two children under two and working full time these are my go-to meals for lunch.
    Are they pure organic, ingredients picked by virgin elves by the light of a full moon, and meat only slaughtered with a silver knife forged in applewood and sage fire?

No.

(While I really do prefer to cook from scratch from whole, fresh ingredients, some things can be taken too far)

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I lived off them, the lean gourmets, for a long time. Having them at work kept me away from the even worse, fast food. In that respect they are the healthier option. You can find organic, no meat, etc ones if you go hunt them down. Now I make the time to prepare my own frozen lunches, and make 20 at a time.
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    Thanks!
    530roman wrote: »
    The answer is no. Whether the sodium is high or not, as long as you don't have any health concerns dealing with sodium, keep eating them as long as you can make them fit your calorie allowance and macros. My day is filled with sodium, but it's also filled with plenty of water. Enjoy your meal-in-a-box and don't worry about what the countless amount of people tell you.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    They're high in sodium, but are otherwise fine. If you have no health issues which make sodium a problem, then enjoy your freezer meals.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    MNSchulz88 wrote: »
    No one really says why.....everyone just says "don't eat those...they are so bad for you" I agree they can be high in sodium but I only eat 1 per day for lunch and watch my sodium intake otherwise....
    BarbieAS wrote: »

Then, you'll be fine. Other than the high sodium, they can be worked into a healthy diet just like any other food as long as it fits your calorie goal.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love them because for me logging Homemade items can be very tedious. I buy lots of frozen meals and that way I can just scan and log!!! The same thing with canned soup! Heat and eat!!

Also just drink lots of water if you are worried about the sodium!