I love Mexican food!

Options

Replies

• JLFIT247
    Options
    My advice for you is to eat a small snack (preferably high in fiber) before you head out, that way you are not starving when you arrive and you can help eliminate over indulging. A meal that I always go for when I am at a Mexican restaurant is chicken fajitas. Tell the server to leave off the sour cream and use corn tortillas. Make yourself a couple great tacos with grilled chicken and veggies and you are good to go. Also, try to avoid the chips...often before our meal even get to the table we have already eaten hundred of calories in chips and salsa!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    fatmommy wrote: »
    I am meeting some friends at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and I don't want to blow all my hard work with one meal. What do you get for a splurge meal that isn't a full day's worth of calories?

Whatever I want. If I know I'm going out for a big meal, I put some calories in the bank to save for the big day, or I accept that I'm going to go over that day log it in, and move on.

Exactly this.

I also get chicken fajitas 80% of the time - it gives you a lot of control over the calories.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I personally would enjoy it all... eat, drink and be happy... log it and go forward to tomorrow. One day didn't cause damage and one day isn't going to undo it all either.

+1 :+1:
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    +1
    Haha. But, I personally really like fajitias. Always have. I'll usually have one in the tortilla and then just eat the meat and veggies on their own.
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh Mexican food - my biggest weakness. When we do go out, yes, I try to avoid the chips - or, take 3 chips and put them on a little plate and eat lots of salsa with a little chip. Fajitas with corn tortilla is your best bet - or, like others have said, order what you like - eat 1/2 of it and take the rest home or leave it if it is too tempting. As they say, one Mexican meal did not make me fat - nor, did one salad make me healthy! It is a daily, weekly, monthly and life time commitment to doing the best lifestyle for you.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love it too, who doesn't? I'm from Texas and TexMex less than once a week is a sin around here! But to stay good I just order sides. Black beans, pico de gallo, corn tortillas and maybe a little guacamole and you've got a nice little meal! I always allow myself some chips too, I just count them and stay under 15 or so.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Fried Ice Cream
  • Jobal54
    Jobal54 Posts: 433
    Options
    Calabasitas is a good side and chicken for a meat. Fajitias are good because you can just eat the meat and vegie's and not as much tortillas.
  • dwanachapman
    dwanachapman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would go with shrimp fajita's, with no wrap. I ask for jalapenos to kick it up. I make myself my own little nachos. Our fave Mexican Restaurant has a lower calorie section now, which helps also. Good luck, and enjoy.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I am meeting some friends at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and I don't want to blow all my hard work with one meal. What do you get for a splurge meal that isn't a full day's worth of calories?

Here's the inverse of that... Splurging on one meal isn't going to blow all of your hard work. :)
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Tacos, "normal" ones. No cream, no cheese, no stupid rice in them.

Let's say an order of three pork or chicken tacos or fajitas - 3 x 60 cal = 180 for the tortillas (normal, palm-sized, corn). Then say 200-250 calories for the protein (pork/chicken/shrimp/fish), lean. Lime and salsa are almost calorie free. And 100 cal. of vegetables. That's a reasonable meal, no?

(I'm Mexican, by the way - I don't believe in deep-fry everything of drowning in cream).
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Nothing is better than Mexican food. I'm in San Antonio and know. :-) Just eat your meal and let that be your meal for the day.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going with my sister to see my mom next week in Ga. We're going to go eat at the whistle stop cafe'. I'm going to eat slightly under my calories for several days before the trip so I can eat what I want when we go.

If that wasn't an option (like if we just up and decided to go out) I would just reverse it and eat a bit under for several days after... no big deal.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas hold the sour cream, limit the tortillas
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

Here's the inverse of that... Splurging on one meal isn't going to blow all of your hard work. :)

+1 Perfection!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Either way, fajitas are always a good choice... I usually get mine without the rice and tortillas and just eat them off the skillet/plate they bring them out on. There's a place around here that has the BEST fajitas I've ever eaten. They bring out a little bowl of cheese, sour cream, guac, pico, and little metal shot glass with butter clarified with mexican spices. I pour the butter over the fajitas, sprinkle the cheese over it, then put the sour cream/guac/pico on top of that and eat with a fork. You also get a cup of this mexican bean soup instead of the traditional refried beans. REALLY GOOD!!
  • ItsMe0909
    Options
    Margaritas are out of the question.

No way! Try a 'skinny margarita'.

Chili's has an awesome one for 110 cals, usually other places are around the same amount of cals.

I budget it in my calorie allowance. :}

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I hate Mexican, too much tortilla, cheese, and corn chips for me.

Lol that is not mexican! That is americanized mexican food.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    See if they have ceviche! It's low-cal. But, one meal isn't going to be anything major. Enjoy yourself occasionally.