Some help starting off?

Options
cutethang1
cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
Would like to see if I am off to a good start with my goal of 1300 calories.

I have used a site (suggested in the sexypants thread) to calculate TDEE.
But not 100% sure of macros. I used 40-30-30 perhaps could use some advice here as well.

I am currently 156 lbs- 4'10"
Have a desk job
Run after a baby in the evenings
Doing boot camp 3 times a week (to start)
My HRM no longer works so really only guessing on the calories burned
Sometimes I eat my exercise calories back, sometimes half and sometimes none

Thanks!

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is a link to an MFP blog post about whether or not you should eat back your workout calories.

Here is another link to another MFP blog post titled "5 Unusual Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight".
  • cutethang1
    Options
    Here is a link to an MFP blog post about whether or not you should eat back your workout calories.

Here is another link to another MFP blog post titled "5 Unusual Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight".

Thank you! Lunch time read!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a little more information:
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What is your goal weight loss per week?
    What does your boot camp consist of? Is it mainly cardio I guess?

I would consider finding another HRM if your boot camp is a form of steady-state cardio. It would be nice to know how many calories you're burning during a workout. MFP numbers can over-exaggerate in my experience. I also calculated your calories to be just a little higher (depending on how drastic your deficit is) at 1400 even at 25% less than TDEE.

These are just some basic calculations I did. If anybody finds they're in error, I'll be glad to take in some knowledge.
  • cutethang1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    Maybe just a little more information:
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What is your goal weight loss per week?
    What does your boot camp consist of? Is it mainly cardio I guess?

I would consider finding another HRM if your boot camp is a form of steady-state cardio. It would be nice to know how many calories you're burning during a workout. MFP numbers can over-exaggerate in my experience. I also calculated your calories to be just a little higher (depending on how drastic your deficit is) at 1400 even at 25% less than TDEE.

These are just some basic calculations I did. If anybody finds they're in error, I'll be glad to take in some knowledge.

Thanks so much for doing a quick calculation for me :) (this is where I wan't to know if I am in the right or wrong). Would you mind telling me what you got for TDEE?
    I would essential like to loose 50-60 lbs.
    Goal loss per week- I would be happy with 1lb per week but 2lbs would be icing on the cake only if realistic and safe.
    Boot camp consists of weights, body weight exercise, circuit training and cardio.
    Eg of Monday's class: 100 skips, 50 push ups, 100 skips, 50 sit ups, 100 skips, 50 squats, you get the idea.
    I would love to get another HRM with our son in daycare just can't budget for it at the moment. I agree though I do need to revist finding another or fixing the one I have!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, if you're doing that much jumping up and down, I don't think your HRM would do you too much good. They are best suited for steady-state cardio (such as jogging and elliptical). This doesn't mean you can't use one, just don't count on those numbers being exact. Most people here will tell you only to eat back half of those exercise calories, just to be on the safe side.

I peeped your profile and checked your age:
    At that age, 4'10", 156lbs, and exercise 3 days a week, I calculated your TDEE at 1752 (As the lowest number. I calculated one for you at 1957 using a BMI chart that qualifies you as obese based on height and weight).

So using 1752 as a starting point and deducting 20% of that number, you should consume 1460 calories. As far as your macros go, there are far better qualified people on the board to help you with that, but you will lose weight no matter what your macros are set at as long as you are in a deficit. Stay consistent with your logging and see how things go for two-three weeks and adjust your intake and/or exercise regime accordingly. Good luck!
  • cutethang1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great thanks! I changed to 1400 calories will try that. :-)
    Hopefully others with knowledge will also chime in!