Green smoothies

Options
jadior
jadior Posts: 191 Member
I'm thinking of adding these to my diet. I can see there are tons of recipes but my question is can they be made in a Magic Bullet? I don't have a mixer and I don't want to invest in one that isn't going to work.

What does everyone use? (Not to expensive!) Vitamix and Nutrabullet is quite pricey. Thanks in advance

Replies

• jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes! They can absolutely be made in one. The best tip I have for you is blend your water/milk and greens together first, until there are no more chunks, and then add in your fruit/other things and blend it all together. It helps prevent you from getting bits of kale that you have to chew. I use a ninja blender, but I've used others as well with just as much success. If you are looking for a great piece of equipment to buy, a ninja master prep, which is around 35-40$, is a blender and a food processor together, and it's probably one of my favorite kitchen tools.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The original Nutribullet is about $70 now. I use mine everyday. SOOO worth the money.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    We make green smoothies regularly, and have a regular kitchenaid blender. As long as you add water or other liquid and the toughest greens first the blender handles them like a champ. You definitely don't need a crazy expensive blender, just a decent one!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It works "ok". Kale becomes tiny bits of chopped kale, not very smooth. I hear Ninja is pretty decent. I invested in a Blendtec, a little cheaper then a vitamix. Found it even cheaper new in the box from someone on craigslist, $300. It totally pulverizes kale and everything else, so you get whole food juice. If you're doing softer greens like spinach you should be ok, but be aware you'll be chewing your smoothie with a Magic Bullet with tougher ones.

Lots of Youtube videos comparing blenders out there.
  • jadior
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! I'm going to try one in my magic bullet then check into getting one of your suggestions. I thought they sold for hundreds!!!
  • lak200
    lak200 Posts: 26
    Options
    i have a ninja mega kitchen - bought at BB&B w/a 20% off coupon - out the door was $91ish - i cannot say how much i LOVE this machine. comes with 2 individual smoothie cups; a 72oz blender pitcher; a small and a large food processing bowl.

i use it every morning for green smoothies - no chunks whatsoever - i put a big handful of spinach and kale, frozen banana, liquid of some sort and 2 cubes of frozen chobani plain yogurt - smooooth as silk! i use it to make peanut butter. i use it to make ground meat. i use it to blend veggies for soup ... plus a whole lot more ... yes - i LOVE it!!! i think it's sooo worth the money.

good luck on your search!
  • jadior
    Options
    Lak200-thanks for the recipes :smile:
    I went and bought the ninja master prep!! I cant wait to use it!!!

Thanks again everyone!! Now to play with some recipes!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have a $15 Hamilton Beach single serve blender and it makes green smoothies no problem, so I imagine the bullet would as well. I can throw a couple of handfuls of spinach into any smoothie and not notice the taste, kale I'll reserve for smoothies with elements that better hide the taste (dark berries, chocolate) or for smoothies that I actually want to taste it in (with beets, carrots, etc.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I want to try kale. Is it terribly bitter. Does it taste similar to spinach?
  • healthfreakchic
    Options
    Better than juicing, I actually use a drink supplement called greens that provides all your servings of fruits and veggies in one glass a day. It also has 38 superfoods and I haven't gotten sick in like 5 months because of it. I found it here: healthfreakchic.myitworks.com
  • jadior
    Options
    Better than juicing, I actually use a drink supplement called greens that provides all your servings of fruits and veggies in one glass a day. It also has 38 superfoods and I haven't gotten sick in like 5 months because of it. I found it here: healthfreakchic.myitworks.com

I have tried "greens" in the past! The brand I had was green, but tasted like mint! Loved it but it was pricey. Thanks