Salad Dressing Alternatives to avoid the fat not the flavor!

Options
Help, I keep going over my grams of fat often because of my salad dressing. What are other alternatives out there to keep my salads tasting good without all the fat?
Thank you,
Misty

Replies

• tamikactw
    Options
    You may want to find recipes to create your own. You will know exactly what is in it and how much as far as sodium and sugars.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Team Beachbody has good healthy salad dressing recipes on their site. Here's a link http://www.teambeachbody.com/member/journal/-/journal-entry/reneesheldon/203166695
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Every dressing manufacturer out there makes a "lite" and/or "fat free" version of almost all their products. Start trying them out. In my experience, 2/3 taste like doo-doo, but when you find that 1 out of 3, it's Golden.
  • erocks308
    Options
    Red wine vinegar.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic vinegar
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Birdhouse Farms yogurt salad dressings.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    +1 for the balsamic!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But are you going over your calories? If not, I wouldn't worry about the fat. Fat is yummy and keeps you fuller.

However this is yummy:
    packaging_d_beverages&dressings__0041_Olive-Oil_Classic-Balsamic_png_7b262b9f-a7a8-489a-9fec-9b36fdee525d.png
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    As long as you're under your total calories or close to it, being over on your fat macro isn't a bad thing... Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than your body burns makes you fat.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like to use balsalmic vinegar with chopped ginger and garlic in it, and a little bit of oil. The ginger and garlic are potent when it sits for a few days so it doesn't take much dressing to get a lot of flavour!!! (I store it in mason jars so ur doesn't garlic up the fridge)
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So it doesn't garlic up the fridge... Lol.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go to the refridgerated section of the produce and get your dressing there. Typically they are more "natural" and have less preservatives and added junk.
    I don't know where you are - but look for "Renee's" or "Bolthouse"
    I have a "Bolthouse Classic Ranch" that's made from yogurt and only 25cals/tbsp - supper yummy!
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is why I like to make my own--try Googling homemade salad recipes. I'll use all sorts of things ranging from olive oil, vinegar, fresh-squeezed fruit juices, mustard, and so on paired together in different ways. I personally prefer to make my dressing myself so I know exactly what goes into it, but as others have said, if you're pressed for time, try the lower-calorie options.

ETA: Cottage cheese is also good on salad, and packs on a lot of protein.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, salsa is good on salad.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Make your own. A vinegrette made with olive oil can be made and then portioned. You can use balsamic vinegar or any vinegar. I also like olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper. If you like creamy dressings go to the skinny taste website. As I said...make your own. It's real easy if you have a blender, but not necessary.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, dijon mustard. Mix well, and voila! It's got some great flavor and you control the portions of salt and parmesan cheese.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I found a good light dressing, normally I dont like them, its called Portmans Light Ranch 40 calories a tablespoon. This is available at Sav A Lot in my town.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I also found out when I stated logging that I was using way too much. I only use about a TBS now, and it's plenty (and tasty!).

3 TBS balsamic
    2 TBS lemon juice
    1 TBS dijon mustard
    crushed garlic, salt and pepper
    ~1/2 olive oil
    Blend it up. If you use 1 TBS on your salad, it lasts forever! :)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My fat is set at 35% - I'm pretty much always over - I'm down 25lbs as of this morning.

Pick a salad dressing and don't drown the salad - people usually put way too much dressing on salads, put a 1/2 tablespoon on, mix it up - if it needs more add it by the teaspoon.

Your hands are the best instrument with which to toss salad.