Meal Prep

Options
Does anyone meal prep? I need some tips to make this successful! I really think that it can work for me and my schedule.

Replies

• OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do prep for the week. It has saved so much time and effort and easy throw together meals when I come home hungry! Having something ready to roll makes it so much easier and I am less likely to grab those Tostitos! I prep my chicken into bite size, tenders, and I also do a crockpot full of chicken to shred and freeze; wash and cut my veggies for snacks and salads; put together small containers of natural peanut butter and hummus to go with those snack bags of veggies; a container of Quinoa so I can add that to whatever I am making. I also make, on most Sundays, roasted butternut squash and bake some sweet potatoes. Some weeks I will make a pot of Chicken Quinoa chili to have - or a different soup/chili. I have tried the mason jar salads and am not a fan -- they tend to all taste blended. I do cut up all the fixings and put them in separate mason jars and that throws together quickly in the morning for lunches. I also boil 12-16 eggs for to grab. In all, I usually spend a total of 2-3 hours through the weekend and it gets us through the week.
  • kyuille
    kyuille Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Doesn't sound bad at all actually. Have you lost any weight by doing this??

I do prep for the week. It has saved so much time and effort and easy throw together meals when I come home hungry! Having something ready to roll makes it so much easier and I am less likely to grab those Tostitos! I prep my chicken into bite size, tenders, and I also do a crockpot full of chicken to shred and freeze; wash and cut my veggies for snacks and salads; put together small containers of natural peanut butter and hummus to go with those snack bags of veggies; a container of Quinoa so I can add that to whatever I am making. I also make, on most Sundays, roast a butternut squash and bake some sweet potatoes. Some weeks I will make a pot of Chicken Quinoa chili to have - or a different soup/chili. I have tried the mason jar salads and am not a fan -- they tend to all taste blended. I do cut up all the fixings and put them in separate mason jars and that throws together quickly in the morning for lunches. I also boil 12-16 eggs for hardboiled eggs to grab. In all, I usually spend a total of 2-3 hours through the weekend and it gets us through the week.

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is to prepare a bunch of food that you can combine into different meals rather than making a large quantity of 1 thing.

Examples would be: washing greens and lettuce, roasting veggies, chopping veggies to add to salads, cooking meats and proteins, making some cooked quinoa and grains that you can make into pilaf, stock the freezer with soups and sauces, pizza dough, etc.

I usually buy my groceries and prep and cook them right away, store them in tupperware and ziploc in the fridge and freezer. I focus on making a variety of foods that I can throw together into different meals in 10 minutes, depending on what I want to eat.

If you are relying on convenience foods, takeout and restaurants then you will likely lose weight just by switching to food you prepare yourself. Instead of ordering pizza, I have everything in the freezer and I transfer it to the fridge in the morning so when I get home I can make my own pizza with defrosted dough, homemade sugar-free marinara sauce and lowfat mozzarella--and it's really good! My own freshly made hot pizza with a salad is a much more nutritious and satisfying dinner than ordering pizza and it takes minutes to prepare. This is just an example of how to modify your habits and lose weight relatively painlessly (not saying you order pizza all the time, this is just an example of a change I made).
  • melissalbrinley
    Options
    Has anyone tried using eMeals.com to help with meal planning?
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As above, I do boil up eggs, those are great for a quick protein snack ( I ditch the yolks for cholesterol reasons). I mostly prep the next days meals while cooking supper. I've found if I prep too much I can't always eat up what I've got. Keeping some vegis whole until I use them sometime makes them last a little longer in the frige. BUT yes, prep, prep & prep, a great diet hack!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have done/do meal prep.

I used to buy my meat in large quantities and cook it all at one. Pulling out what I needed for each meal. I also did this with dried beans, freezing in meal portions. Allowed for spontaneity and shaved time off my cooking time. I used to make veggies bags on Sunday for each weekday and such.

Currently I cook larger batches a few times a week of different dishes and freeze the rest in meal sized portions. Home-made TV dinners. :) Cooking for one person and dirtying a ton of dishes doesn't appeal, and usually I am tired after work and my choices tend to be poor. Right now I have about 16 different dishes in my freezer and I pull something out for lunch or dinner based on my mood. Allows for portion control and means I eat a balanced meal with veggies. With my current inventory I can eat about 5 weeks without cooking if I wanted. I try to replace the number of meals I eat each week, usually groceries and cooking on Sundays. Variety happens as I add to the freezer, I repeat when I run low on a dish. For breakfast and snacks I eat the same thing each day.

Larger scale this would be tough. It would be more of 'make 1/freeze 1' system. You make a lasagne for the family, and a second to freeze.

Tonight I need to exercise when I get home from work so its a freezer night. Individual casserole in the oven will be done when my run is!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I freeze what I call Bags o' Dinner -- uncooked ingredients frozen in gallon bags meant to be thawed and cooked in the crock pot.

I find this very useful for days when everyone is on the go, and no-one is home to prep meals.

Totally peasant cooking, but really nice for when you're working hard.
  • mrlspaul
    mrlspaul Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've heard the george forman grill is good for meal prep of chicken and other meats. Anyone use one of those? Do they cut down the time?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do. I prepare 1 or 2 meals over the weekend, portion them in individual containers and freeze them, so that all I have to do is pop them in the microwave for dinner. It helps to have some tried and true recipes that are easy and use few ingredients. I make a batch of egg muffins to take to work for breakfast and when the weather is warmer, I fire up the grill and make a crapload of meat. I did this Saturday when it was 60 degrees. I like that I get most of my cooking done over the weekend when I have more time to clean up and not have to worry about a messy kitchen during the week when I have less time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a salad going in my fridge, some refrigerator oatmeal in Mason jars good for a few days, and my snacks are all pre-portioned. I make a batch of hummus and freeze tablespoon portions to grab for lunch. I buy a large block of light old cheese, cut and wrap the individual slices and store in the freezer. Once in a while I make a chili or a stew and pack up portions for later. I always take a bit of dinner for lunch the next day.
  • mallyfranklin
    mallyfranklin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a calendar for the week and write in detail all of the meals for myself for breakfast and lunch, and for my family of four (my husband, myself and our two roommates). I pick a couple of recipes that I like and meals that I'm used to. I compile a grocery list with quantities of each item as I fill in the calendar. I do this on an excel sheet so I can keep a running total and make sure that I check my fridge and pantry for items I already have. I do shopping and prep on Sunday. I try to prep as I put away groceries so I don't do double and triple trips to the pantry and fridge.

I like to cook up several cups of brown rice and quinoa. I keep them in Tupperware for use through out the week. I hard-bake 12-14 eggs for myself and others. Pop them in a muffin tin and bake for 35 min at 300 degrees. Chill them down with ice water. I can task a roommate or my husband with peeling them and putting them in a gallon bag for me. I also like to chop up veggies for salads and meals. I usually do two heads of celery, 2 lbs of carrots (i like these better than the baby ones), 6 bell peppers, English cucumbers, a bunch of radishes, 1 onion, etc. I like to do Spaghetti Squash Mondays, so I will half, de-seed and wrap a spaghetti squash. That way, I can just pull it out of the fridge when I get home and throw it in the microwave. I buy a big carton of mixed greens. I also get some green leaf lettuce for wraps. I make energy bites and wrap those in case my sweet tooth attacks. I used a lot of ideas for lunches from this blog with the recipe.

http://darlingbedaring.com/healthy-girl-on-the-go/

This last Sunday I also did a big pot of chicken stock from the leftovers from my Costco Rotisserie chicken and my veggie scraps that I froze from the week before. It is so good and low-sodium. It just sits on the stove while you do other stuff. I also did a crock pot full of white bean and chicken chili. I try to always use crock-pot liners for easy clean up. They are located near the foil and plastic wrap in the stores. They are a life-saver.

During the week, I make my quick meals, and, while it is cooking, I throw together one of my planned lunches. When I feel generous, I will make one for my hubby to take too. I am slowly getting used to it, but it is money and time well spent. I give up 4-5 hours on Sunday and I get it back in spades throughout the week. I can email you my grocery list, planning calendar and recipes if you would like to see it. Just let me know where to send it.
  • kyuille
    Options
    I never thought about making my own pizza! Thats such a great idea. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. Im def going to start making my own meals!

I think the main thing is to prepare a bunch of food that you can combine into different meals rather than making a large quantity of 1 thing.

Examples would be: washing greens and lettuce, roasting veggies, chopping veggies to add to salads, cooking meats and proteins, making some cooked quinoa and grains that you can make into pilaf, stock the freezer with soups and sauces, pizza dough, etc.

I usually buy my groceries and prep and cook them right away, store them in tupperware and ziploc in the fridge and freezer. I focus on making a variety of foods that I can throw together into different meals in 10 minutes, depending on what I want to eat.

If you are relying on convenience foods, takeout and restaurants then you will likely lose weight just by switching to food you prepare yourself. Instead of ordering pizza, I have everything in the freezer and I transfer it to the fridge in the morning so when I get home I can make my own pizza with defrosted dough, homemade sugar-free marinara sauce and lowfat mozzarella--and it's really good! My own freshly made hot pizza with a salad is a much more nutritious and satisfying dinner than ordering pizza and it takes minutes to prepare. This is just an example of how to modify your habits and lose weight relatively painlessly (not saying you order pizza all the time, this is just an example of a change I made).

• kyuille
    Options

Great idea! Thanks
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a salad going in my fridge, some refrigerator oatmeal in Mason jars good for a few days, and my snacks are all pre-portioned. I make a batch of hummus and freeze tablespoon portions to grab for lunch. I buy a large block of light old cheese, cut and wrap the individual slices and store in the freezer. Once in a while I make a chili or a stew and pack up portions for later. I always take a bit of dinner for lunch the next day.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: Bags o Dinner
  • kyuille
    Options
    It cuts back on so much time, it is worth the investment
    mrlspaul wrote: »
    I've heard the george forman grill is good for meal prep of chicken and other meats. Anyone use one of those? Do they cut down the time?