Need low everything meal ideas

Options
So, as part of trying to enjoy a healthier lifestyle in general and make it stick, I'm not going to deprive myself of ever enjoying the occasional junkie food. I just budget for it with the rest of my day. Here lies my dilemma... My husband and I sometimes go out for chicken wings at a local bar with friends. On those days, I try to work out and eat extra healthy because chicken wings are high in everything!

So I'm looking for meal ideas that are low in everything; calories, sodium, fat, etc. But here's the catch: It can't be a salad. I found out a couple years ago that I'm allergic to the chemical wash lettuce producers use. I've tried all brands and varieties, including spinach and I get the same result. My tongue and throat get tingly and itchy. I can't afford to buy organic salad on a regular basis, so any non-salad healthy meal ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had the same itchy mouth and throat when I recently ate fresh pineapple.

You can go with a no lettuce greek type salad: cucumbers, red onion, bell peppers, tomatoes. Add tuna or chicken. Add feta and/or olives. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar or lemon.

Soup is another great option. I tend to make my own and freeze it in containers for lunch. Go for vegetable based soups with lean proteins.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are are lots of foods besides chicken wings and lettuce. What do you normally eat?
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Chopped salad- just no lettuce. So, chop celery, zucchini, bell peppers, pears or another fruit like apples or peaches, and throw in a few nuts and cheese. I also throw in meats- love lean beef. I find that I don't need dressing if the salad itself is interesting. Also, chicken or fish with bruschetta on top. Mmmmmm!
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I normally have a decent amount of variety in my day-to-day. I hate eating the same thing over and over so I tend to change it up and always look for new recipes. I'm just trying to budget my calories, sodium, and fat for the chicken wings I know I'll have, and when I normally ask for healthy recipes, everyone always suggests salads. My main problem is that I'm not a huge vegetable fan. I like carrots, corn, peas, beans, green beans, spinach (when I can get the non-itchy stuff. :) ) and some other things
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    What about a lean protein (that you grill/cook at home) with a veggie that you like on the side. You can do that for a lunch for about 300 calories. If you choose somthing like chicken or turkey breast, it won't have much fat. And cooking it at home keeps the sodium low.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You can do a southwest salad...black beans, corn, onions, and salsa it up. Make your own though, otherwise, you could get that whole high sodium thing. I add crab meat (lump and fake stuff) instead of salsa, but I can mix it up on occasion.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The biggest plate EVER of zucchini noodles + low sodium tomato sauce/pasta sauce + can of small mushrooms. :#
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You can make a pretty low calorie omelet with an egg, some egg whites, assorted veggies, and cheese.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. Very low calorie but very filling. Mix in some cooked mushrooms, tomato and basil and you have a savory delicious meal that is low calorie enough that you can eat a large plate full.

IDK if other commercial greens are washed in the same thing as lettuce, but you could also use collard greens, kale, spinach or other non-lettuce greens for a salad base.

Broth based soup is another option.