Salads!

Options
hi Guys

I take salad everyday to work for my lunch however I don't want to get bored of this at the min I'm having a bit of ham and feta cheese in my salad any other ideas so I don't get bored???

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    My favourite is fresh anchovies in lemon/garlic. LOVELY. I'm obsessed with it. If that's a bit too fishy, then tuna or salmon is nice too.

Chicken in any form, my favourite is wrapped in a little proscuitto or parma ham if finances allow and I haven't eaten too much salt recently.

Walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds add a nice flavour.

Beef, rare cooked and thinly sliced is great, I don't eat a lot of red meat so save this for around that time of the month when I need more iron.

Boiled eggs - cheap and meat-free.

Lots more, but those are the ones I particularly enjoy.

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love tuna salad. I mix tuna with Greek yogurt/light mayo, capers, olives, bell pepper and red onion and have it over lettuce with ansjovis, cottage cheese or a boiled egg and lemon juice as a dressing (you could of course add oil if it fits your diet).

Quinoa with hummus, chicken and grilled veggies is tasty too.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    My favorite is romaine with watercress, sliced radishes, red onion, English cucumber, bell pepper, chia seeds, toasted pecan pieces, light blue cheese, 1oz of sliced roast beef, and Wishbone fat free blue cheese dressing.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat a "taco" salad almost every day. Homemade beans (black or refried), 1/4 c cheese, salsa, 1/2 - 1 oz crushed chips, and sometimes an additional meat or sour cream.

Cobb salad but adjust the quantities to fit your calories.

Greek salad olives, feta, cucumbers, and maybe chickpeas.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Love cobb and Greek (minus olives).

Beets, salmon and goat cheese is awesome too.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Today I had a salad topped with a feta and dill yogurt dressing, sauteed red onion, and homemade baked falafel and baked pita chips. So good!
  • jessshout893
    Options
    Thanks Girls will be trying your ideas thanks :)
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i like to make an "oriental" salad - i had manderine orange slices, almonds, craisons and crispy wonton strips or lo mein noodles. i also like to make a salad with apples, grapes, and blueberries with pecans.
  • waif62
    waif62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't care for salad dressing, but I feel like my two go-to salads have plenty of flavor without it!

Currently, I am eating romaine and spinach topped with half a granny smith apple, crumbled goat cheese and candied pecans (I like Diamond brand). Occasionally I will add a few craisins as well.

I also love romaine and spinach (or just spinach) topped with diced tomato, hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds, parmesean cheese, and crumble bacon bits.

Both of the salads can get high in calories, sodium, and/or fat if you're not careful how much of each topping you add.

Good luck!
  • alcarrick
    alcarrick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1) grilled or roasted salmon - on mixed greens or spinach. add in light dijon mustard on salmon. throw some goat cheese and/or pumpkin seeds. divine.
    2) seared tuna salad - on top of mixed greens, then throw a few blanched green beans, two to three fingerling potatoes (1-2 inches long, very tiny), roma tomatoes. YUM.
    3) mixed greens with mini salad on top.... mini salad = black beans (no salt added, fresh corn off cob or no salt-added from can, diced celery, in light homeade vinagreitte), and tomatos. throw some cilantro on there, can even add some hummus.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my fave is apple gorgonzola chop salad: chopped romaine hearts (at least 2 cups), medium granny smith apple with peel on, tablespoon of walnuts or pecans, dried tart cherries 1 T., gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and a fruity vinaigrette. so simple and so tasty.
  • leahmstoffel
    leahmstoffel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite that I bring for lunch at least once a week is:
    Half Spring Mix & Half Baby Spinach
    Granny Smith Apples (usually about half of the apple cut into little cubes)
    Strawberries Halves
    Slivered Almonds
    Crumbled Goat Cheese
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Raspberry Vinaigrette, Fat Free
    Grilled Chicken Breast

It is AMAZING!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Today I had mixed greens with sliced turkey and some sweet onion salsa as the dressing. I love mixing up different items that I normally wouldn't put together. Remember, berries on salad can be amazing, especially with the right kind of cheese.
    In different combos I use nuts, berries, raisins, meat, salsas,tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, peppers, pickles (yum), hummus, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, apples, pears...
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad every day and have for over a year. I just change up protein and salad dressing. For example one week I will have ground turkey and make a taco salad with it. The next week I might have tuna, kale/brussel sprout mix with a lemon poppy seed dressing.

Good luck. Try Pintrest for some ideas. I love getting my salad ideas from them.