Is it bad to just eat one large meal a day?

Options
I eat 90 % of my calories in the morning during breakfast. Then I just have a small snack like carrots and a cucumber before bed. Will this still cause weight gain in the long term if I don't go above my daily calorie limit by the end of the day?

Replies

• Hope2BFit81
    Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nope! As long as calories in < calories out. There's a whole support group for One-Meal-A-Dayers. I do it as well, just opposite. I have my one large meal at dinner time. It's easier to stay within your deficit range by consuming 90% of your calories in one sitting.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    you can eat whenever you like as long as its CICO - do what fits into your life easiest and makes you happy :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eating times are preference. You will be fine.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you can eat whenever you like as long as its CICO - do what fits into your life easiest and makes you happy :)

what's CICO? is it like iifym?

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

what's CICO? is it like iifym?
    Calories In, Calories Out, sorry I just abbreviated it :wink:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im currently playing around with meal timing. Honestly it doesn't matter as long as you can stay within your calories.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I could never eat that much at one time. Or I'd be sick if I did.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There are some studies which say consuming all your calories in a small window is a good thing - search for Fast 5
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me--I like to eat often throughout the day because, well, I like to eat, AND, I tend to get shaky and lose focus if I haven't eaten in a while. But if it works for you, no harm. :)
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 68 pounds by practising intermittent fasting, and eating a large meal each day. Like the others have said. Weight loss is about CICO.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If it is what works for you, go for it! Meal timing has no bearing on weight loss.

Personally, I couldn't do it. This is partially because I feel better eating some scattered throughout the day, but I also have a hiatal hernia and can't eat a big meal without a lot of pain.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    if you can function the whole day without food so be it, as others already pointed out DON'T GO OVER YOUR CALORIE allowance you should be fine.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    And also don't go too far UNDER your allowance. Make sure you're still hitting your goal within say 50 calories.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's total calories in vs calories out that matters for weight loss so, in theory, it shouldn't be a problem. However, eating them all at one time wouldn't work for me. I don't think I'd be satiated and it would make it really difficult to have a normal life and socialize with others. How do you handle going out with friends?
  • Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine eating 1683 calories all in one sitting. My goodness i just know I'd be sick but if it works for you keep it up. Chewing for me is like smoking for some I'd crave the sensation throughout the day.
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because my blood sugar would cycle too much, (Hypoglycemia) - but there is nothing wrong with it! Won't hurt weight-loss at all!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I think I would feel sick but I'm going to ahead and assume you're not eating very much overall.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    myself i usually eat very little throughout the day, I like to snack at home in the evenings. If it is working for you that is what matters.
  • casw0005
    casw0005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I eat a large breakfast I can go all day without eating and just have a light supper around 6pm. But I have to eat around 11am otherwise I get hungry in the late afternoon.