Silly Lifting Questions

Options
flabassmcgee
flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started NROL4W this week and so far, it's a good workout. I feel like I'm challenging myself to do that one last rep and pushing myself to muscle failure mode, but I guess I'm kinda curious if what I'm doing is okay.

Example, I'll do the dumbbell shoulder press and I kill myself to get through the fifteen reps using 17.5 lb weights *blush*. Then I'll try 25 lbs for seated rows and I feel a burn, but barely break a sweat. The next set I'll go up 10 pounds and it still does not feel like enough.

I guess my question is am I negating my workout by not doing enough? I know they sound like "baby weights," but for a total strength training noob I'm really trying not to be "that" girl. I want to get with the heavy lifting!

Side question: My gym has a Smith machine but not a traditional squat rack. Would using a Smith machine negate the purpose of squats, barbell lunges, etc?

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Different exercises work different muscles, so you should expect to change weights based on what you are doing. And...no blushing allowed, sounds like you are doing great! In terms of using the Smith for squats, I personally think it is not useful because it eliminates much of the required Coe stability needed, but others may have different views. If you have dumb bells available, maybe do some squat variations, like goblet squats, holding the dumb bells by your side or on your shoulders. Lunges can also be done like that (walking or in place). If your gym has trainers, ask them for other variations. Go you, keep it up!!!
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Shoulder press is usually a weaker exercise for most people.

Don't worry about "baby weights". My current weights suck compared to what I did before. I had to start at bar weight (45 lbs) because of a torn tendon in my left elbow, and an improperly treated right shoulder injury. Form and safety beat out higher weights every time.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Egos are checked at the gym door! Unless you are a competitive power lifter, the weight of your dumbbell is a personal number. No reason to blush. Nobody wants to race you for an injury!
    Each exercise has a different muscle/group/angle as target. The weights are different, of course. I occasionally superset dumbbell bench press with dumbbell shoulder press. The second exercise is 10 lbs lighter.
    The selection of weights/exercises all depend on the type of your own training, don't compare yourself with the girl/guy on the next bench. They might have a very specific goal, completely different from yours.
    You are never really negating the effects of your exercises, unless you refuse to give your body the required rest and recovery days. Overtraining is the worst enemy of progress.
    A Smith Machine has it's time and place. It can be usefull for a variety of exercises, not just squats.
    Check this website: Bodybuilding.com They have a vast exercise library, which lets you select options for all muscle groups, machines....etc...
    It doesn't matter, which specific leg exercise (squats, lunges....) you chose to work your quads, glutes, hamstrings...any will work, as long as you practice good form. Mix it up, keep your workout fresh!

Good luck, happy lifting!
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    Thanks all! Makes me feel soooooo much better.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not much to add except to note that "heavy" is relative. For some people, 10lbs is heavy. For some people, 100lbs is light. As long as you are not mailing in your workout and are truly pushing yourself every time, you will be fine.

Having said that, DBs overhead while standing is one of the hardest exercises out there and will necessitate pretty light weights for anyone. Add in the fact that you're a woman and just starting out, well let's just say that you're not gonna be throwing up the 100lbers.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Not much to add except to note that "heavy" is relative. For some people, 10lbs is heavy. For some people, 100lbs is light. As long as you are not mailing in your workout and are truly pushing yourself every time, you will be fine.

Having said that, DBs overhead while standing is one of the hardest exercises out there and will necessitate pretty light weights for anyone. Add in the fact that you're a woman and just starting out, well let's just say that you're not gonna be throwing up the 100lbers.

Didn't expect to necessarily, but I just wanted to make sure I'm on track. Thank you again! :)
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to try and do more reps, but now focus on simply upping the weight each time. Sometimes I ache, sometimes I don't, but if you can lift more doing the same thing next time, you know you're on track. :)

Oh, and I'm with the others, Shoulder press/overhead press is *kitten* horrible lol.
  • FrankthePegasus
    FrankthePegasus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started with NROLFW a few months ago! I actually ended up ditching the program for a different one after the first set of exercises because I wanted to focus more on powerlifting specifically (I fell in love with squatting and deadlifting).

Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert, is what I'm saying. But I started with 10lbs for the overhead shoulder presses. And those rows I think were at about 45lbs to start? You are not weaker than the average bear! In fact, I just got to the point where I can overhead press 17.5lbs! I'm seriously impressed with you!

But yes, the weights will be different for each exercise... and it takes a bit to really find what is "heavy" for you. I would suggest taking a day to just do this with each routine, to be honest. Just work to find your heaviest weight that you can still do the routine with, and then the next time, work with that weight and increase from there.

Enjoy! Lifting has become a serious love of mine!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't worry about starting light, as long as it's getting progressively harder, you're doing it right (hell, I started some lifts with a broomstick!).

The smith machine will work if you have nothing else, I'd be inclined to replace with goblet squats (if the dumbbells go pretty high) so you're getting a more natural movement. I'd think about changing gyms in the future though as something like squats is going to get very difficult if you're not supporting the weight with your back. If that's not an option then the smith machine is definitely better than not doing squats :)

edit: you'll definitely be able to row more than you can OHP, so if you feel your form is good, increase the weight till you find it a bit more challenging.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting to the end of the first stage of NROLFW, and I started with really really low weights ... and now, a month and a bit on, I'm lifting a whole lot more! My gym doesn't have a squat rack either - this week I squatted 19kg (not sure what that is in pounds, but it's a huge step forward from where I started - which was with an empty bar!) and I had to get the instructor to put it on my shoulders for me :)
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    I just remembered...They also have this thing at the gym, but not sure how beneficial it is. The bar thing itself is 35 pounds and you can add weight on each side. It's supposed to help with form, but is it worth it? It WOULD give me the ability to pile it on across the shoulders/utilize my back...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just remembered...They also have this thing at the gym, but not sure how beneficial it is. The bar thing itself is 35 pounds and you can add weight on each side. It's supposed to help with form, but is it worth it? It WOULD give me the ability to pile it on across the shoulders/utilize my back...

Just say no to the hack squat machine and the Smith machine. I use both to hang my towel on.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Just say no to the hack squat machine and the Smith machine. I use both to hang my towel on.

Teehee, thanks.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started NROL4W yesterday and had the same issues with the Smith machine. I don't think my form was right, so it HURT my shoulders. However, my gym doesn't have barbells. So I am really better off with dumbbells on my shoulders or goblets than the Smith if I don't have a bar? Has anyone completed NROL4W with just dumbbells? I feel like I may progress faster than the dumbbells that are available, and I'm not in a position to change my gym membership right now.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    I started NROL4W yesterday and had the same issues with the Smith machine. I don't think my form was right, so it HURT my shoulders. However, my gym doesn't have barbells. So I am really better off with dumbbells on my shoulders or goblets than the Smith if I don't have a bar? Has anyone completed NROL4W with just dumbbells? I feel like I may progress faster than the dumbbells that are available, and I'm not in a position to change my gym membership right now.

No dumbbells!? What kind of gym do you go to???
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress, you just have to explore the different variations of squats that are possible with them. Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @ Furious: I belong to that stupid "fitness" place that hands out pizza. We have dumbbells, but no barbells. Looking into other gyms as we speak!

@H7463: thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean "on" my shoulders, but "at shoulder level." But that was totally my bad. :-) I'm doing NROL4W, and I'm pretty sure the Bulgarian Split squats are introduced at a higher level. I'm just on day 2 right now, and I never thought to check our equipment before committing to the program!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress, you just have to explore the different variations of squats that are possible with them. Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....

why would you not put them on your shoulders? how is that more significantly dangerous than a barbell?
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Hack squats are great, but they lean a tad more to the assistance lift side. You can try smith squats. Some people like them, some don't. I don't, I just can't seem to find a range of motion that would feel good. Don't let that stop you, though.

Dumbbells are a great option, though. You can do bulgarian splits or lunges without ever needing massively heavy weights.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You know what might be ideal
    h7463 wrote: »
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress,

Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....

I don't know how holding DB's up to your shoulders in somewhat of a Front Squat position is more dangerous than a barbell in the front squat or back squat position. DB squats are not as effect as barbell squats, they are quite different. Not to say that they don't have their use but the Squat activates so much of one's body that it's hard to compare to anything else.

BSS's are a definite challenge and not a bad compliment to a strength-training program.