Will someone please evaluate my food diary?

Options
Hey guys!
I've been on mfp for about 2 months now. I lost weight initially, but have been pretty much flat since. I was wondering if you guys could look at my food and exercise diary and help me see what I'm missing. Thank you so much in advance!

Note- I don't record my water, but average 3-7 glasses a day. I know I should start actually recording it though :)

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Without even looking - drink more water!
    I find that when I consistently drink at least 8 cups a day, I WILL show significant weight loss. If I don't, then I don't.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Watch the saturated fat.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    Sometimes just swtiching things up helps. Try changing a few foods or add some new ones..swtich up your exercise routine. Youll get through it hun..LOOOTTS of water :)
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    LOTS of sodium for the little amount of water you are drinking.

I do not see much protein there... lots of carbs and fat though... My advice: eggs, chicken, salmon, tuna...

and I drink about 10 glasses of water a day -at least.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232427-hungry-girl-advice

Are you eating enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink more water- I get up to 12 cups a day. I don't see a lot of fresh vegetables with your meals... try increasing veggies. And yeah, watch the saturated fats.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    are you exercising? i didn't see any on the days I looked... at quick glance you might want to cut down on processed foods (coffee creamer, quaker oatmeal and general processed sugar and add in more fruits and whole grains (steel cut oats)....change things up including your exercise and if you're not, start, give your metabolism a boost.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Can you add protein to your food diary? This will help us evaluate your food diary. Go to My Home>>Settings>>Diary Settings.
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    Definately I noticed once I kept my carbs to approximately 105-135 carbs max per day, that helped with the plateaus.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    OK.... try eating real food...not peeps and coffee creamer. I would have a bit more substantial breakfast than yogurt and coffee if I were you.

You want your diet to be mainly fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats and good fats ( olive oil, nuts, )

Alcohol is a killer. I love a good glass or 3 of red wine myself but I know the next day, my weight will be up.

Look at www.toscareno.com She preaches clean eating and you will find a huge difference if you follow her recommendations
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I like your lunches, breakfasts are generally ok, dinners look ok sometimes and not so much others (I'm guessing eating out?). I'd suggest increasing your fruits and veggies, and try a week or so of really healthy, light dinners - chicken or fish with some steamed veggies, a small whole grain or starchy side, a low cal desert if you want (I like the Skinny Cow 100 cal ice cream bars - just enough and I feel like I've had a real treat. Keep alcohol to no more than 1 glass, if that. Aim to get the bulk of your calories earlier, rather than later in the day (I try to keep my evening food to 400 calories or less - and I have about the same calorie target)Oh, and if you can cut out the coffee creamer, do - you could have a whole apple for what you're putting in coffee :-) You don't have a lot to lose so it's going to be harder, but you can definitely do it. Hang in there :-)
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Turn sugar on in your nutrients -- you'll be able to monitor it better.
    Cut carbs and go with low-sugar veggies.
    Exercise.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    First, I just want to say you should be drinking MUCH MORE than 3-7 glasses per day. Divide your weight in half... and drink that in ounces per day as your MINIMUM.
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think you are having lots of processed foods with high calorie density. My diary is far from perfect, but maybe it can help you. It´s opened, you can take a look. Special attention to your breackfast: you could add fruits, cottage, wholegrain bread, no sugar jam.

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    1. Track your water. Drink more water.
    2. Get more fiber. 25-30g per day
    3. More protein. 25-30% of your diet.
    4. Sodium is good where it's at... but make sure you're inputting diary entries that have EVERYTHING included because 949mg for yesterday seems awfully low and you might have missed something? Maximum should be around 2400mg.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    How much coffee are you drinking with your French Vanilla creamer? Too much caffeine can stop you from losing weight.

I agree with what others have said, you need to up your protein and make the calories you eat count. Your foods also show a tendency towards eating sweet foods. I feel ya, I have a huge sweet tooth myself! But those creamers add up (sometimes to 150 calories a day!) and so do the dried cranberries. Try to eat fresh fruit if you can - 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries is only 50 calories - and it's just as good on a salad. Plus, it's in season right now!

For your oatmeal, instead of grabbing the prepared Maple & Brown Sugar packs (which are wayyyy too processed), make your own mix. Buy the store brand of old-fashioned oats, it's cheaper. Here's what I put in my mix: 3 cups oats, 1/2 cup sliced almonds, 1/2 cup walnut pieces (broken into small bits), 1 tsp. cinammon and four packets of Stevia sweetner. I take it to work and it lasts me 7-8 mornings - it's between 150-180 calories depending on how much I eat that day. The nuts help me feel full, the Stevia satisfies my sweet craving without adding any calories. It'll make you feel fuller twice as long as those prepared packets.

You're making good choices, for the most part, but you could get more bang for your calorie buck with a few substitutions. Good luck!
  • ckisme
    ckisme Posts: 15
    Options
    I hope I am not duplicating effort here, however, one thing I noticed is you are not spacing your calories through out the day. You should eat 5-6 small meals through out any given day. Definitely refrain from so many creamers.
  • kermy8
    kermy8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok, just a quick question....
    When it says 'cups of water' does it literally mean a cup (like a mug of tea size) or a pint?
    Because I've been logging mine as pints and getting through 3 tops! But some of you are getting through 12!
    12 pints to me seems impossible!
    But I only took it as meaning pints as we're supposed to drink 8 pints a day, or so the government would say!
  • kcallag
    kcallag Posts: 4
    Options
    wow, I am already so thankful for all the responses and insight! I really appreciate it!

As far as coffee, I have about 3 small cups a day. Do you have any recommendations on how I should sweeten my coffee without the sweater? I'm thinking skim milk and splenda?

Thanks again for your continuous help. It has all been very insightful.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ok, just a quick question....
    When it says 'cups of water' does it literally mean a cup (like a mug of tea size) or a pint?
    Because I've been logging mine as pints and getting through 3 tops! But some of you are getting through 12!
    12 pints to me seems impossible!
    But I only took it as meaning pints as we're supposed to drink 8 pints a day, or so the government would say!

It is referring to 8oz cups, so about a mug or so