White pasta

Options
is white pasta that bad for you if your eating it in moderation? I'm trying to lose weight and get muscle at the same time. I eat it with Turkey mince and just once a day,

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Moderation yes -- eat whatever fits your goals.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It is not horrible for you, personally I find that whole wheat or quinoa pasta is more filling. I have insulin resistance so it isn't great for me as things like white flour turn to sugar in your system faster and I have to keep my sugar levels down so I try to stick to complex carbs.

But unless you are Diabetic, Insulin Resistant, have Celiac's or notice a change in your body like bloating when you eat it their is not reason to give it up.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. For me, it's all about moderation as well. I've found some high fiber versions, such as Ronzoni Smart Taste. They taste the same as "regular" white pasta to me, but it's nice to have the added fiber benefits.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you measure it out. It's amazingly crammed with calories.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    "White" anything won't hinder weight loss, as long as it is within your caloric goal. And you'll need to be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle mass...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    It is not horrible for you, personally I find that whole wheat or quinoa pasta is more filling. I have insulin resistance so it isn't great for me as things like white flour turn to sugar in your system faster and I have to keep my sugar levels down so I try to stick to complex carbs.

But unless you are Diabetic, Insulin Resistant, have Celiac's or notice a change in your body like bloating when you eat it their is not reason to give it up.

If cooked al dente, there is little difference in blood sugar levels after eating white pasta vs. whole meal.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Anything "whole wheat" you find in the typical grocery store has been pulverized and ground so finely there's little difference between it and white. Eat what you enjoy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, not good for me. Leads to cravings that drive me nuts. I cut it out, replaced it with whole grain pasta and all is well in my world. Took a long time to find a whole grain pasta I liked, though!

Only you can decide if it's good for you. "In moderation" means totally different things to different people, so I don't really know what you mean, but you have my blessing to eat as much or as little as you please. :)
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »

If cooked al dente, there is little difference in blood sugar levels after eating white pasta vs. whole meal.

Sorry I should have said that by whole wheat I don't mean the regular whole wheat pasta I mean I use Kamut which is whole grain. The white pasta does actually spike my insulin levels.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Nope, not good for me. Leads to cravings that drive me nuts. I cut it out, replaced it with whole grain pasta and all is well in my world. Took a long time to find a whole grain pasta I liked, though!

I found this too. If I eat simple carbs I start craving junk.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's not bad for you, but it is quite calorie dense so keep an eye on how much you eat. It's not very nutrient rich, either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Anything "whole wheat" you find in the typical grocery store has been pulverized and ground so finely there's little difference between it and white. Eat what you enjoy.

Except it has more fiber. But in the end it's not a huge deal I guess.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Except it has more fiber. But in the end it's not a huge deal I guess.
    The science behind the fiber recommendations is dubious at best, IMO. Whole foods are healthful, yes. Foods with cellulose and whatever else added just to make the nutrition label more attractive to health conscious consumers? Doubtful.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I prefer white rice, and white pasta. No issues with weight loss, as long as I measure out and log.