Babywearing /toddlerwearing mummys i need you.

Options
I am looking for exercise ideas for when i am wearing my 2.5 year old as im not sure that just carrying her around is enough exercise. Also why isnt there an option for toddlerwearing on mfp :[
Any other babywearers want to add me that would be super cool. xx

Replies

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I basically just walk when wearing the baby. I generally try to exercise while she's napping though. I've done Just Dance with her on but it's a bit hard for me to match the moves and a bit bumpy for her. I thought I saw somewhere there was walking carrying 15 lbs listed as exercise?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Long time babywearer here, though not as much lately. I also have a 2.5 year old. Mostly we wear just for hiking and long walks and he cozies in nicely for those. I also have a winter babywearing coat so it allows us to keep at it through the colder months. He's a very active boy, and loves to get down and run. So I get a great deal of exercise just chasing him around.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Strap her on and do weighted lunges, walking lunges, squats etc.
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm no longer wearing a baby -- my babies are 6 and 3.5 now -- but when I was I used to do a lot of walking with them. You can do a pretty brisk pace with a baby or toddler and burn a lot more than just walking alone. When my youngest was a baby and toddler, I used to wear her and push my older daughter in the stroller. Now that's a workout! I found that anything that involved any jumping really jostled them too much and didn't work, so stick to low impact workouts. If you have any low impact aerobics DVDs, those are definitely doable. Also, for those days when the weather wasn't great, I had some Leslie Sansone walking DVDs and the Biggest Loser walking workout DVD, and I would do those while my baby was in the sling. I found that they would usually fall asleep from all the movement, so the bonus was they got a good nap in, too. :-) Once they were about a year old and I could put them down for 30 minutes to an hour, I started doing kickboxing and aerobics DVDs in the living room while they played in the room. They would often get up and move around with me, too, so it was actually fun for both of us.
  • brightsideofpink
    Options
    Toddler wearing for the win. This was a pretty long hike, got a great calorie burn. do3it91gng5f.jpg
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Im a baby wearer and I love some tips for exercise too!!! If you are just a walker and are actively trying to loose weight what amount of time walking would you need to spend in order to burn a sufficient amount of calories to help out?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to wrap my 2.5 half year old but he is not having it....sometimes he will go in the kelty though....i'm jealous.

There is an option for walking while carrying a load, I just add that.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a long-time babywearer as well. My girls are 2 and 5. I mostly wear my youngest for longer walks and hikes now and not as often as I would like since I work full-time outside of the house.

You can try to add some low-impact exercises in to your walks. i.e do step-ups onto a low bench or log, do a few lunges while out, etc. Or just workout during naps. I have a jog stroller I use for running with them which is pretty much the only time they are ever in a stroller.
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What do I type in to search for walking with a load when entering it into mfp?
  • brightsideofpink
    Options
    There's also a fb page called the babywearing workout.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    Hiking climbing hills (carry 10-20 lb load), or there is one that says walking, carrying infant or 15lb load.

best to under estimate in my experience but my kid weighs 30llbs.
  • brightsideofpink
    Options
    i'm trying to wrap my 2.5 half year old but he is not having it....sometimes he will go in the kelty though....i'm jealous.

There is an option for walking while carrying a load, I just add that.

My toddler no longer has patience for wraps, but loves the kinderpack. Easy ups and down. :)
  • veganbettie
    Options
    ya I can sometimes get him into the ergo, but I really wanted to wrap him.... Oh well, guess it will have to wait for baby number 2....so bummed.....

I wish I started wraping sooner, all I had when he was little was a stupid moby.
  • Alex_is_hungry
    Options
    So nice to see fellow baby wearers, i will look up that facebook group.
    I already use the "walking carrying intfant or 15lb load" but my girl is 30lbs so i feel like i am cheated out of exercise points.
    We use a LL toddler mei tai, i dread the day she no longer wants up. Xx
  • Alex_is_hungry
    Options
    ss8ememooymb.jpg

This was us on a power walk last week in between hail storms.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    omg that's so pretty!!!!!

well exercise calories are really just an estimate anyways, so I would rather estimate low I guess. :)
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The Mai Tei is really pretty! We use an Oyna now. Our Ergo bit the dust last year after 4+ years of extensive use.

Vegan Bettie - I tried to wrap my toddler last week when I realized I didn't have the Oyna with me. Epic fail! I loved the woven when they were infants but I have never mastered any sort of back carry for the toddler range. No amount of youtube videos ever helped. Oh well!