Can I build muscle size, strength while losing weight or Fat

Options
my stats: 5' 7" 190lbs, not a beginner anymore, spent last 3 months doing a 1000 calorie deficit and combo of cardio and weight training

I've started eating more, only at about 500 calorie deficit, added more protein (about 120g/day) but I keep hearing that I can't add on muscle being at a calorie deficit. I want to lose more fat that I have around my belly and chest but I also would like to add muscle.

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. So even if you notice weight go up at first it will come off as you build.
  • ericcalaniz
    ericcalaniz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do both, but it's a very slow process. You'll lose fat very slowly and build muscle very slowly, but that's better than packing on muscle and fat, or losing lots of fat but also making losses in the weight room, right? I've been operating at about a 300 calorie deficit (gotta make sure I get those carbs and protein!) and losing around .75 pounds per week. But I've also been losing fat, but again very slowly.
    But to answer your question, it can be done. Make sure you get your carbs and protein though, otherwise your workout will be for naught.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    actually, you can add on muscle. As you work out, you will make tears in your muscle, then your body will repair them, and the muscle will get larger as you increase demands on it. Of course, as you've pointed out. You will need adequate protein intake for your body to have the amino acids it needs to build muscle.

As you build muscle, it will be more metabolically active, causing you to burn more fat, therefore you will lose fat.

From what I have read, it will be more difficult to build muscle while on a deficit, but not impossible. I'm doing the same.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Sure you can! Your body will add muscle as needed to meet your activity needs. And the best part is that a higher muscle mass means a higher metabolism! Just don't have too big of a deficit, and make sure to be doing the lefts with the proper form. Best results also come when you push to the failure point, so if you can have a someone to spot you, it's even better.
    Remember, to build bulk muscle, high weight with low reps. For sleek, lean muscle, lower weight with a lot more reps.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible as long as the restriction isn't too severe. It doesn't sound like it. Some people say no. I say it just may be a little more difficult but not impossible. Besides if you are building muscle and losing fat then even though you might not see the scale number go down you are still getting rid of what you want to get rid of.

I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale too much. It's how you look and how your clothes fit that count. Use measurements instead.
  • floydg68
    floydg68 Posts: 28
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race here. You can lose weight and add muscle but you must be careful not to lose so much weight so quickly that your body goes into survival mode by slowing your metabolism and holding onto fat. About a 3-500 calorie deficit should be enough. Then it's important to eat protein at the right times, a small amount before a workout and them a generous amount afterwards, within an hour of completing your workout. You may see a slight gain in weight as you gain mass but don't get too alarmed by this. Muscle weighs more and requires more calories to sustain so you'll be ahead in the end. Lastly, it's good to mix up your workouts to keep your body guessing. Good luck and keep fighting.