Is it bad to just eat one large meal a day?

Replies

• I do this sometimes on weekends only and usually eat it around 1 or 2 after going to the gym, when I can eat enough that I won't be hungry for anything more than a snack before bed. On work days I wouldn't last that way. Personally I aim for 100-300 for breakfast, 200-500 for lunch, and whatever's left for dinner. I think it's all down to personal preference though.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Whatever works for you. There's nothing wrong with one meal, just hit your calorie and macro goals.
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    You may want to monitor any "crashes" you have during the day. Also, evenly spaced meals help control sugar levels.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    My large meal of the day is breakfast, I agree if it works for you go for it!!!
  • changefulal
    changefulal Posts: 19 Member
    I at one time had my daily calories all in my breakfast but the problem was is that I had to practically starve myself for the rest of the day lmao, thank god I was able to do some cardio!! My body is used to eating 3 meals a day i guess :)
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    I eat one meal a day, it works great for me. And on a side note, I can eat 200-300 calories more in one meal than spreading over multiple meals. Try for few months and see how it works. I don't really pay attention to CICO,IIYFM etc.. and all the mambo jumbo, every one is different. Do it for few weeks and make sure you eat enough in one big meal and not under eat.
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    I lost a TON of weight doing it that way, but in the process developed an eating disorder. I lost 135 lbs since April 2013 but my trainer says I went to far. Then again, initially that meal was just a MAYBE 300 calorie salad for a month or two before my trainer got involved. Now my dinner is a more "normal" dinner and some snacks after. I'm gradually trying to get over my fear of daytime eating and my "burn to earn" mentality that if I don't burn 3,000 calories before dinner, I can't eat. So whatever you decide to do, DON'T do what I did. It's really dangerous.
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    Incidentally, I have to give props to my trainer for saving my life. I would have kept on with just the salad and honestly, if it weren't for him now, could relapse into it on any given day. I think the main thing is to just treat your body like a car. Just put good fuel into it at all times to keep it running. Also, some people abide by the 80/20 rule. Be good 80% of the time, 20% of the time you can cut yourself some slack.
  • Nothing wrong with this at all. There are many people on MFP who practice IF successfully
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    It matters when you think about protein. I haven't looked at your diary so making a general statement. If you are eating all your protein in one meal, your body cannot absorb it all at once. The body can handle about 50grams of protein at a time.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    I had a Great Dane who ate like this and lived a long, healthy life. BS aside, it's not a problem if it meets your goals.
  • ashli83
    ashli83 Posts: 2 Member
    Omg how do you not eat during all that time ? If I did that my whole metabolism would be off.. So what exactly do you eat that consists of that many calories ? I don't see how people say that's ok if getting enough calories Bc you could eat two candy bars and get enough calories for the day you need !
  • ashli83
    ashli83 Posts: 2 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    LOL So you eat 90% of your calories first thing in the morning and then 10% right before bed? How many calories? Just curious. I'm guessing not very many.
    I've never heard this ... Crazy if you ask me ... But hey
  • ObsessedMonster
    ObsessedMonster Posts: 150 Member
    ashli83 wrote: »
    Omg how do you not eat during all that time ? If I did that my whole metabolism would be off.. So what exactly do you eat that consists of that many calories ? I don't see how people say that's ok if getting enough calories Bc you could eat two candy bars and get enough calories for the day you need !

I eat a lot of calorie dense, high fat foods, specifically almonds and other raw nuts. It's relatively easy to eat a large amount of calories in a short period of time for me. It may not be good on my digestive tract, but it's been working in the weight department. I rarely get hungry throughout the day, but I'm starving by 7 am in the morning. I can see how it may skew with some people's metabolisms. Everyone's different I guess.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    I usually eat 60-80% of my calories at lunchtime but have a protein shake after training in the morning and another one at around 7pm. I try and eat low carb overall, keeping carbs to 60-100grams and protein is at least 80-100g.

If I eat out I save 90% of my calories for that, like tomorrow I'm out with friends at an Italian restaurant so il have 2 slices of garlic bread, beef in mushroom sauce with veg and a couple of glasses of wine. I'll ask them to serve my lunch without the fries and also to serve the sauce separately.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Metabolism is much more complicated than CICO. I think it might be a good idea to run this by your doctor.

I would worry that this might set you up for binge eating or other types of disordered eating. Did you just start doing this for dieting or have you always eaten this way?
  • missafan202
    missafan202 Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds fine to me aslong as calories are good.
  • pollymex5000
    pollymex5000 Posts: 2 Member
    Eating just one meal a day will throw off your metabolism (making weight loss slow down), and it will throw your glucos levels up and down like crazy. It's best to eat something every two to four hours. Good luck.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Eating just one meal a day will throw off your metabolism (making weight loss slow down), and it will throw your glucos levels up and down like crazy. It's best to eat something every two to four hours. Good luck.

OP, pay no attention to this. Your metabolism isn't really affected by meal timings. It never stops working (until you die) so it's perfectly fine to just eat when you're hungry. I personally don't eat until 4pm some days because I'm not hungry until then, then consume all my calories at 4pm, 6pm and 9pm. Other days when I have to get up early, I'll have a snack at 11 and lunch at 1 etc. It's all about personal preference.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    I have days that I'm generally not hungry (given that my calorie goal during maintenance is 2700 it's a fair bit to try and eat). I've been known to do the same as @ObsessedMonster before now and just eat plenty calorie dense foods with my protein mix (peanut butter protein mudcakes can be my best friend.. with granola + banana I can easily make them 1600 calories+ whoop)

As long as it fits your day, different things work fore different people! It's all about working out what works for you. Whilst I'm lifting heavy and doing a lot of cardio right now I certainly couldn't do it! I need my energy spread throughout the day.

All the best to you!