Vegetarian Meal Ideas? Suffering from low energy :(

Options
Hello,
I've been a veggie for about two years and lately am finding my energy dwindling a lot. I used to have a lot more time for food preparation but I don't eat all that differently. Anyone have any vegetarian easy meals or tips? I think I am too low on protein, I do take supplements for iron as I am anemic.
Any help is appreciated!
Kate

Replies

• happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hey, i've been vegetarian for 6 years, vegan on and off for a few years now. i started taking a vitamin B12 supplement last fall and my energy went up like crazy. they have the kind that are little tabs you take daily that dissolve under your tongue and also patches that you wear for 24 hours once a week. i think the patches work a little better but they're harder to find. you can get these at whole foods or a nutrition/vitamin store.
    it might be protein..but i've found through analyzing my protein intake on MFP that i was typically getting more protein than i ever thought i was just through normal diet choices like eating tofu every once in awhile, soymilk, legumes etc.
    good luck!
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    Great idea happy_vegan, I will look into B12 :) I've actually been thinking when life slows down I would try out a vegan diet.

Thanks for the recipe domestica - sounds tasty!
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    My go to meal all the time;)

Cook rice in vegetable broth instead of water

sautee mushrooms, beans and spinach in margarine (lately I've been using earth balance vegan spread and love it:)
    -add cooked veggies to rice
    -top with half a chopped avocado

Delicious and super filling and leaves me lots of energy to work out in the evening:)
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I made the most delicious meal last night. I sat there eating it and thinking, 'if this is the way to lose weight, then I can keep this up forever!'

I roasted up some beetroot, sweet potato, cauliflower, pumpkin, onion and garlic, then I started my plate with some mixed lettuce, and some cucumber and capsicum and cherry tomatoes, then I sprinked over half a can of lentils, then the warm roast veggies and then on top of that I put some reduced fat feta which i had also fried up until crunchy.

So delicious and filling
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe - it's quick and easy, and you can have most of the ingredients in your cupboard. Hope you llike it!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers?pager.offset=40
    Lindsay
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Good tip on the B12. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years and I'm slowing transitioning to veganism. I've read everywhere that vegetarians need to supplement with B12, but I guess I've been too lazy to really look into it! I'm going to buy myself some next time I go to the store - maybe that's the energy boost I've been needing to finally lose some pounds! Thanks :)
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i love this - deeelish and filling

http://www.marthastewart.com/342388/vegetarian-chili
  • EllieMae643
    Options
    I have only been a Vegetarian for about a year, but I recently found that Whole Foods has a huge list of recipes online for all diet types. Here is the link to the Vegetarian recipes. They all look incredible and some are recipes for the items they offer in the store.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/search-results.php?specialDietTypeId=4
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the recipes and tips, I have lots of new things to try! :)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Try B12 for sure. I am vegetarian 8 years now and did not take anything until last year when i started taking b12 and i have alot more energy
  • 54fevers
    54fevers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Morningstar products