Wanting to having steady weight loss, any advice?

Options
hey guys,
I'm 23, 5'7, and 281 pounds. I've been keeping my calorie intake at 1900 the past 4 days and working out an hour a day for the last four days as well. My goal is to lose 100 pounds within the next year. I'm just worried I won't see steady results with how I'm working out. I'm not following a specific workout plan, but I do a type of core workout before I go to the gym. Pick get to the gym and I do 24 minutes of cardio (treadmill/elliptical/stairs) and then lift some weights. Alternating abs, arms, and legs.

So I guess my question is what should I add or continue to do to get the best possible results? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You won't see steady weight loss. No one does. One week you may lose 2lbs, one 1lb, one stay the same. But it will all average out to what your deficit says you'll lose.

There is no one best way to exercise and there is no one best way to eat. Find a routine YOU can be consistent at. Because that's what you'll need to be to get the 100lbs off in 1 year. Consistent, dedicated and patient.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for steady progress is consistency. Commit to hitting your calorie (appropriately set for your goals of course) and macro goals every day and pushing yourself HARD during exercise 5-6 days/week. If you do those things consistently over time, you’ll make some awesome progress.

I would recommend that you follow a set up plan for exercise too. Having something that you can follow gives you more direction and will get you better results.

Allan
  • porschegetsfit
    porschegetsfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will look at workout plans today.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you will see more of a weight loss from your diet intake than the gym. Although both are important. How much time do you have at the gym and how frequently do you plan on going? I personally find the best results when I do straight cardio 3x wk and then weights 2x wk but everyone is different. Don't forget about group classes like spin or zumba. They are fun and a great workout. Also good to help mix it up so you aren't always doing the same thing and get bored. Good luck!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Other than advising you to eat at a deficit and being consistent about logging your food accurately, there is nothing anyone can tell you that will guarantee steady weight loss. Our bodies can be quirky. My body has a weird pattern. I won't lose any weight for a week or two, sometimes longer. Then suddenly I will drop 2 to 3 pounds in a week. It has become such a pattern that I just expect it now, lol. I'm not saying you won't lose steadily every week, but just don't expect it to happen that way. That can quickly lead to frustration. Just eat at a deficit and be honest with your logging. You will lose weight. I'm not much of an authority on exercise, so I will leave others to help you on that. :)
  • monicapatituccijones
    Options
    If you need to see a steady decline on your weight chart in order to stay motivated, consider weighing yourself once a month. You will almost certainly see some nudge downward in a month's time, even if you're not seeing it week to week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

You need to look at more than workout plans. Unless you have body composition goals, you really don't even need to look at workout plans. You need to make sure you eat at a caloric deficit to lose weight, so you should probably focus on that and just log and eat back at least 50% of the exercise calories you are given. Aiming for 1.5lb/week or less would be ideal, I would only ever recommend 2lb/week for truly obese people.
  • royston_ashby
    royston_ashby Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out my post...http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10053592/down-72kg-in-18-months#latest

Feel free to add me as a friend and message me for any questions you may have.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Workouts are unnecessary.

You want steady weight loss? Maintain a steady Caloric Deficit.

Problem solved.

Simple.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

You need to look at more than workout plans. Unless you have body composition goals, you really don't even need to look at workout plans. You need to make sure you eat at a caloric deficit to lose weight, so you should probably focus on that and just log and eat back at least 50% of the exercise calories you are given. Aiming for 1.5lb/week or less would be ideal, I would only ever recommend 2lb/week for truly obese people.
    This.

I'll second that weight loss isn't linear, too. It can happen in fits and starts and then nothing for awhile and then a big loss. I believe some of that has to do with how fat cells empty but fill with water for awhile and then the water gets flushed and you see a big loss. You'll see some people mention that their fat gets "squishy" when they aren't seeing a loss.

Keep focused on a day to day basis but measure progress on a week to week or even month to month basis and you'll continually see a downward progress. Oh, and measure yourself. The scale is not the end-all-and-be-all of weight loss measurements. The measuring tape tells a better story and only you see the number on the scale.
  • bettebuc
    bettebuc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stay off the scale. If I lose a lot I tend to cheat a bit. If I've been good and don't see a loss I tend to cheat a bit. Yes, it's a mental game. However, I know as long as I stay on my diet it will happen eventually. I've lost 35 lbs so far!