WHY IS MY DIET NOT WORKING??????

Options
Hey guys this fitness journey is not really showing me any light and it's pretty depressing. I need some help and support. I'm trying to lose 30 pounds of fat by April and I've been going to the gym everyday ( It's been about a month now) and eating a strict 1400 calorie diet (recommended by my doctor) and making sure I'm taking in more protein than carbs since I also want to build back my muscle (carbs make me gain weight easily too!!!). I am female, 5'5, 198 pounds and 20 years old. I don't know if my genes have much to do with it. my dad is slim and most women on his side are slim. my mom is fat and most women on her side are fat. I gain weight all over my body although I think I'm kinda pear shaped/slash hour glass shape. I have a BMI of 20, blood sugar is 55 (is that too low????), my blood pressure is 119/60. Although I'm trying my best I'm ALWAYS FEELING HUNGRY and I feel that if I increase my calories I'll have to increase my workouts although my workouts are already as intense as I can take (I run 5 days a week for 30 minutes on the treadmill 7mph and 4mph 3 minutes off and on and I lift weights twice a week for 20 minutes) . every time I check the scale I'm still 198 pounds sometimes it even says I'm 200 pounds and I've been using the same non digital scale provided by the gym I go to. I feel I'm in a losing battle and my body is not responding to anything I do. I feel that only plain salads and water is going to allow me to lose these 30 pounds of body fat which is not cool because I like to eat, what can I do,is there something I'm doing wrong??? and can I still have pizza and cookies :( ?????????

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food and using the correct entries from the database?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The first thing you're doing wrong is calling it a "diet". If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to be ready to commit to a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

How long have you been cutting calories/hitting the gym? Are you weighing your food with a food scale to ensure accuracy?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this, so far?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look?
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    No I dont use a food scale nor do I know where or how to get one

• diannethegeek
    Options
    Tobore wrote: »

They're available at Target, Walmart, some grocery stores, and online. They usually cost about $15-$20. They're not an absolute must have for dieters, but they are much more accurate than using measuring cups or eyeballing portion sizes. If you've been dieting long enough that you should have seen some results and you aren't, then it's a fair bet that you're underestimating how much you're eating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Laureani
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The first thing you're doing wrong is calling it a "diet". If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to be ready to commit to a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

I'm aware of it being a lifestyle change and I'm committed I've been at this for a month now, any other advice or am I in the wrong forum???
  • Laureani
    Options

They're available at Target, Walmart, some grocery stores, and online. They usually cost about $15-$20. They're not an absolute must have for dieters, but they are much more accurate than using measuring cups or eyeballing portion sizes. If you've been dieting long enough that you should have seen some results and you aren't, then it's a fair bet that you're underestimating how much you're eating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Okay, thankyou
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with "BMI" of 20? Is this something your scale tells you? Ignore it.

I don't generally say get a food scale, but based on what you've typed, you might benefit from one?
  • Laureani
    Options
    How are you coming up with "BMI" of 20? Is this something your scale tells you? Ignore it.

I don't generally say get a food scale, but based on what you've typed, you might benefit from one?

Yup, the scale said I had a BMI of 20, I wasn't sure if my BMI had increased or the scale was messing with me. A few months ago my doctor told me my BMI was 18. I'm considering having another health check to make sure everything is as it should be.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This! Based on the height and weight you listed I calculated your BMI to be 33. BMI is

(weight in kg ) / (height in meters squared)

Have a look at the sexy pants guide
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might help. My gut feel is the issue is twofold: (1) you're lifting heavy (and, I assume this started a month ago) so you're adding muscle, and (2) you're not eating nearly enough for your activity level. Have you been tracking anything other than the scale number, such as waist / hip measurements (normally I'd also say "how well clothes fit", but if you're doing squats, you might actually be adding some booty).
  • Laureani
    Options

Yes I'm using the database, although allot of the food I eat is Nigerian or Japanese food and the database isn't always accurate so sometimes I have to guess or makeup my own food.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

I'm aware of it being a lifestyle change and I'm committed I've been at this for a month now, any other advice or am I in the wrong forum???

It's important that we ask certain questions to make sure that everyone's giving you the best advice that we can. I understand that you're frustrated, but knowing how long you've been at this is important. If you'd answered that it was only a week or two I would have said it's water retention from the increased activity and you should wait it out. But since it's been a month (and I assume the exercise hasn't been changed/increased in that time period) then there's something else going on.

Honestly, without seeing your diary it's hard to know what else might help you. A food scale is a good option if you can afford/have access to one. If you're currently logging your exercise and eating back the earned calories then you may need to cut those back (MFP has a tendency to overestimate certain activities).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yup, the scale said I had a BMI of 20, I wasn't sure if my BMI had increased or the scale was messing with me. A few months ago my doctor told me my BMI was 18. I'm considering having another health check to make sure everything is as it should be.

I hate when people change what things mean. (not you, i'm just complaining outlaid) BMI is (or was) a very specific thing. Yours isn't 20, or 18 for that matter, so ignore that. (Not that it matters, but it will confuse you when other people talk about BMI and use the OTHER definition.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

But yes, consider getting a digital food scale. Then use MFP to log the exact amounts you're eating. If you can't get a food scale, use some of the portion size visuals you can find on the internet.
    Good luck! You really should be seeing some results by now...

and yes, read the sexy pants thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Laureani
    Options

I hate when people change what things mean. (not you, i'm just complaining outlaid) BMI is (or was) a very specific thing. Yours isn't 20, or 18 for that matter, so ignore that. (Not that it matters, but it will confuse you when other people talk about BMI and use the OTHER definition.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

But yes, consider getting a digital food scale. Then use MFP to log the exact amounts you're eating. If you can't get a food scale, use some of the portion size visuals you can find on the internet.

Thankyou!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

and yes, read the sexy pants thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There's another bmi definition? Google time.....

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There's another bmi definition? Google time.....
    well, I don't know about a "definition" but those biometric scales claim that the body fat percentage they give is a "BMI".
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Also, weight on the scale isn't everything. Fat takes up much more space than muscle and muscle weighs more. Take a few basic measurements with a tape measure and log them on myfitnesspal or somewhere that's easy for you. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1281
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options

It's important that we ask certain questions to make sure that everyone's giving you the best advice that we can. I understand that you're frustrated, but knowing how long you've been at this is important. If you'd answered that it was only a week or two I would have said it's water retention from the increased activity and you should wait it out. But since it's been a month (and I assume the exercise hasn't been changed/increased in that time period) then there's something else going on.

Honestly, without seeing your diary it's hard to know what else might help you. A food scale is a good option if you can afford/have access to one. If you're currently logging your exercise and eating back the earned calories then you may need to cut those back (MFP has a tendency to overestimate certain activities).

^^^ yep! that!

Get your food scale TODAY! I got the cheap digital one from Target and it has never let me down, so I'd definitely recommend that one.

Guessing food from the database will often give you the wrong results. For example, if I put in "omelet" the calorie counts could vary drastically from 100-800 based on what is in it. For any food I make myself, I list all the ingredients in my food diary, or I use the recipe maker to get the most accurate read. If you're going out to eat a lot or having someone else prepare your meals, find the most similar item in the database to track it as. When in doubt, pick the option with the highest amount of calories...better under than over.

I'm not sure if this is the case with you, but I know that I personally get a little "scale-obsessed" when I'm trying to lose. I'll jump on the scale sometimes twice a day because I really want to see a difference, however this is not the way to go. Try to only weigh yourself once a week on the same day, at the same time so that you can get the most accurate read. Lately I've committed to only weighing myself on Sunday nights in the same workout clothes so that I can get a consistent read.

Good luck!
  • Yodee
    Yodee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have you had a complete physical including checking your thyroid? That was part of my problem.