Protein Powder Question

Options
I bought Nature's Bounty chocolate protein powder and have a question about when to take it.
I know its a great thing to take after a workout that involves weights but is it ok to take before/ after running? I'm trying to lose about 25lbs and feel like I need more energy to get through my cardio. I don't want to overdo my protein intake when I'm trying to lose weight. Sorry for the questions, I'm new to taking this.
Here's the nutrition label so you know what's in it...
Thanks for your help!!
0daintn3yj6y.jpg
lab.jpg 267.7K

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Have it whenever you want/whenever fits into your day. If drinking it before running makes you sick avoid it; same with after. If it's a good boost before/after a run, go for it. Have it for breakfast. It really doesn't matter.

Also, there are better protein powders out there. Mine is 120 calories and has 24g of protein (Trutein).
  • Possa2015
    Possa2015 Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello
    It all depends on your goals and on your stats. You should start by finding out what's your body fat percentage and then find the % you want to achieve. Then you should see what's your daily protein intake. If you don't take protein, the weight you'll be losing will be muscle also, not just fat. You should cut down on carbs and fat, and think more on protein so you don't lose muscle. But find out your basal metabolism and make sure your daily calories intake is lower than that number, so you're sure you are losing weight.

Hope it helps :smile:
  • KendraLindel
    Options
    I think it also has to do with your body type and figuring out what works best for you. I found that when I paired my foods I lost weight. Yes you should cut down on carbs, however mainly highly processed carbs ie white rice, potatoes, potato chips etc. As far as the protein goes I would take it after, pair it with a fast digesting carb (this can be honey or even a pop-tart!! But just one) almond/regular natural peanut butter and slow digesting carb such as oatmeal. When my trainer said I could have a pop-tart after a workout I swear I didn't hear her correctly. This is the leanest I have been in a long time and I really feel that it had to do with my nutrition. Also if you're drinking soda I would stop. You would be surprised by how much weight you will lose once you stop drinking that.

Sorry I got off on a little tangent. I could talk about the fire department and nutrition forever!!
    Good luck and best wishes.
  • lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice!
    Possa, I didn't know about protein intake and losing fat/muscle, I'll definitely take it from now on thats great advice.

Kendra, I actually hate soda lol I online like ginger ale from time to time (rare though). I try my best to stay away from rice and potatoes, if I'm craving rice i go for brown rice but try to stay away from that also. My husband's a fire fighter and I'm a former EMT (now in nursing school), i hear a lot about that at home haha

Thanks again guys!!