WHY IS MY DIET NOT WORKING??????

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    My gut feel is the issue is twofold: (1) you're lifting heavy (and, I assume this started a month ago) so you're adding muscle

probably not.

OP, if you're not weighing and measuring EVERYTHING, then that is where i would start.
    do that for a month and see how it goes.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »
    My gut feel is the issue is twofold: (1) you're lifting heavy (and, I assume this started a month ago) so you're adding muscle

probably not.

Why probably not? OP says she's lifting, and her profile says she was a wrestler within the last few years, and so probably had a store of easily-reactivated muscle mass.
  • keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with having a blood sugar of 55?

What are you eating and when? Is the only exercise Cardio via treadmill?

I would like to help you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The first thing you're doing wrong is calling it a "diet". If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to be ready to commit to a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

How long have you been cutting calories/hitting the gym? Are you weighing your food with a food scale to ensure accuracy?

I call what I'm doing a diet. My diet is how I eat.
  • danny7995
    Options
    What is the opening the diary ya'll keep referring to? Are you talking about the food diary.
  • bmjones2415
    Options
    I understand exactly why you are frustrated. We feel like we are making positive changes and are not seeing the measurable results. I would recommend a 3 fold strategy for the foreseeable future.

1. Get a food scale and measure EVERYTHING. I mean, get stingy. Try and understand the calories of everything you eat/drink. For foods you are unsure about, create the recipes and drill down to the calories per serving. Plan out your meals so you know when you can add a cookie or small slice of pizza as a treat.

2. Get a heart rate monitor. Before I got mine, I was WAY overestimating the calories I was burning. Now that I have been using one for 6 months, I have seen my weight loss progress at a steady rate.

3. Give yourself credit for working as hard as you have the past month and set your focus forward to working even harder. The past month was absolutely not a waste. You may have made changes to your body that can't been shown with the number on the scale.

I know this seems like a head ache of suggestions (buying equipment and working harder) but it is the consistency of hard work and focus that will make a difference over time, not simply 4 weeks of hard work (sorry to be the bearer of bad news). Losing 30 lbs is a big deal and takes a lot of hard work. Keep going, if you make these changes, eventually you will see the scale move.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    danny7995 wrote: »
    What is the opening the diary ya'll keep referring to? Are you talking about the food diary.

Yes, when someone doesn't understand why they're losing they should open their food diary and people can tell them they're using the wrong entries or should be weighing their food, etc. Basically, it's to give better advice.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think some of your numbers are incorrect, for example, based on your stats, your BMI is actually 32 not 20.

I haven't read through all the responses, so someone else may have said this already. But it seems to me that you need to take a deep breath, slow down, set small achievable goals and really focus on accurate logging.

If you don't have a medical illness (you mentioned you had seen a doctor) you should be losing on your current plan.

Make sure you are super honest and accurate with your logging (ie; weighing/measuring you food, adding EVERYTHING like cooking oils, dressings on salad etc).

Most of all Good Luck.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    Keep an eye on how much sodium you're getting as well. That can cause water retention. Ethnic foods like Japanese may have a lot of sodium, especially if you use soy sauce with it. If you are making it yourself, count each ingredient separately as someone else suggested it; if you are eating out try to cut back on it because anything you eat at a restaurant is going to have stuff in it you don't know about and which will add calories. Stir fries and things like that could have a lot of oil in them, for instance. Good luck - you will do this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think some of your numbers are incorrect, for example, based on your stats, your BMI is actually 32 not 20.

I haven't read through all the responses, so someone else may have said this already. But it seems to me that you need to take a deep breath, slow down, set small achievable goals and really focus on accurate logging.

If you don't have a medical illness (you mentioned you had seen a doctor) you should be losing on your current plan.

Make sure you are super honest and accurate with your logging (ie; weighing/measuring you food, adding EVERYTHING like cooking oils, dressings on salad etc).

Most of all Good Luck.

She's using a body fat scale that says her body fat (as measured by that scale) is her "BMI". It's wrong, but it is what it is. That said a body fat (estimate) of 18-20 at 198 pounds is pretty good for a woman.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your BMI can't be 20 I have checked a calculation site and your BMI is actually 33. I also suggest that you get food scale, when I started to use one I was surprised how much some foods weighed and how small a recommended amount to eat looked like on my plate. Also you could increase the amount of time you workout with weights. I do three weight workouts of 1 hour plus 30 mins cardio 3 times a week plus 2 cardio only workouts a week and I still have to watch my calories or I gain weight.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You open your food diary by going to settings and designating who can see it. You can let just your friends see it or make it public so folks like us can see it. Or you can keep it private. Your choice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    DiIDE wrote: »
    Your BMI can't be 20 I have checked a calculation site and your BMI is actually 33. I also suggest that you get food scale, when I started to use one I was surprised how much some foods weighed and how small a recommended amount to eat looked like on my plate. Also you could increase the amount of time you workout with weights. I do three weight workouts of 1 hour plus 30 mins cardio 3 times a week plus 2 cardio only workouts a week and I still have to watch my calories or I gain weight.
    If you read the thread her SCALE says her body fat is 20. Her scale wrongly calls it her BMI.
  • orpurtb
    orpurtb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get off the scale and stop weighing yourself! How are your clothes fitting? If your clothes are fitting better (looser) then you are doing great! You are losing fat but gaining muscle, and muscle is heavier than fat. Muscle also burns more calories while resting, so as you keep building muscle you will burn more and more fat :) Don't be too harsh on yourself, you will see the weight loss soon.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Tobore wrote: »
    How are you coming up with "BMI" of 20? Is this something your scale tells you? Ignore it.

I don't generally say get a food scale, but based on what you've typed, you might benefit from one?

Yup, the scale said I had a BMI of 20, I wasn't sure if my BMI had increased or the scale was messing with me. A few months ago my doctor told me my BMI was 18. I'm considering having another health check to make sure everything is as it should be.

I hate when people change what things mean. (not you, i'm just complaining outlaid) BMI is (or was) a very specific thing. Yours isn't 20, or 18 for that matter, so ignore that. (Not that it matters, but it will confuse you when other people talk about BMI and use the OTHER definition.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

But yes, consider getting a digital food scale. Then use MFP to log the exact amounts you're eating. If you can't get a food scale, use some of the portion size visuals you can find on the internet.
    Good luck! You really should be seeing some results by now...

and yes, read the sexy pants thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There's another bmi definition? Google time.....
    well, I don't know about a "definition" but those biometric scales claim that the body fat percentage they give is a "BMI".

its also possible that the BMI is set for someone taller....maybe it thinks she's a 6'3" male when she steps on it or something?

OP, make sure your logging is super accurate. input recipes for the ethnic food if you have to. Other than that just be patient.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Most of all Good Luck.

She's using a body fat scale that says her body fat (as measured by that scale) is her "BMI". It's wrong, but it is what it is. That said a body fat (estimate) of 18-20 at 198 pounds is pretty good for a woman.

No way. I'm 5'8" 160lbs and body fat is well over 25% and I'm very average build and not overweight. She would have to be extremely muscular for this to be an accurate body fat measurement. She is probably closer to 30%.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    DiIDE wrote: »
    If you read the thread her SCALE says her body fat is 20. Her scale wrongly calls it her BMI.
    She says she is 5'5" and 198 and says she has 30 pounds of fat to lose. If those three statement are accurate, she has to be more than 18-20% body fat. I have no idea what her scale could possibly be calling 20.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tobore wrote: »
    How are you coming up with "BMI" of 20? Is this something your scale tells you? Ignore it.

I don't generally say get a food scale, but based on what you've typed, you might benefit from one?

Yup, the scale said I had a BMI of 20, I wasn't sure if my BMI had increased or the scale was messing with me. A few months ago my doctor told me my BMI was 18. I'm considering having another health check to make sure everything is as it should be.

I hate when people change what things mean. (not you, i'm just complaining outlaid) BMI is (or was) a very specific thing. Yours isn't 20, or 18 for that matter, so ignore that. (Not that it matters, but it will confuse you when other people talk about BMI and use the OTHER definition.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

http://www.calculator.net/bmi-calculator.html

But yes, consider getting a digital food scale. Then use MFP to log the exact amounts you're eating. If you can't get a food scale, use some of the portion size visuals you can find on the internet.
    Good luck! You really should be seeing some results by now...

and yes, read the sexy pants thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There's another bmi definition? Google time.....
    well, I don't know about a "definition" but those biometric scales claim that the body fat percentage they give is a "BMI".

its also possible that the BMI is set for someone taller....maybe it thinks she's a 6'3" male when she steps on it or something?

OP, make sure your logging is super accurate. input recipes for the ethnic food if you have to. Other than that just be patient.

Could be... but I'm betting it's the marketing of the scale.
    I've seen SEVERAL posts like hers.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Can you still eat cookies and pizza? "If It Fits Your Macros" then by all means do it when you need to. Check out this website: http://iifym.com/, along with the following articles to give you a jump start back on track and to make sure you have a good understanding of the underpinnings for success. If all is in order, then just be patient. If you are doing everything you are supposed to be doing and being honest with yourself, results will happen.

This month's MFP nutritional blog was written by a registered dietician and discusses the question of whether or not to eat back exercise calories. If you have not yet read it, here you go:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly20150112&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRoku6vIZKXonjHpfsX86essXaCxlMI/0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4DTMZnI+SLDwEYGJlv6SgFSrTFMblm0LgLXhM=

Other good articles to get you started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Hope these resources help you, and welcome!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat it just takes up less space.,also 55 is low for blood sugar if you tested it. she is not going to gain a lot of muscle in a month for only lifting 20 minutes and eating only 1400 calories. you have to be in a caloric surplus to gain a good bit of muscle mass and a woman builds it slower than a man. you need to cut the cardio down to 3-4 days a week and bump up the weight lifting to 2-3 days a week about an hr a day.also like others suggested a food scale will help,you are probably eating more than 1400 calories(trust me you will be surprised when you start weighing your food that it does not match what the packaging says).

To build muscle you need a decent ratio of fats,protein and carbs . you can check that out at IIFYM.com or do a search as everyones ratio will be different for their goals.as for both your parents being thin, so were mine and I got fat by eating too much and not being active.so the whole thing about genes in this instance I think is false. It could be your thyroid but I would weigh my food,change my exercise routine around,(do something different often) and go from there. I have lost a lot of inches just by lifting weights. as for losing 30lbs of fat by april there is no guarantee if that will happen or not. you may lose more you may lose less it all depends.