WHY IS MY DIET NOT WORKING??????

Options

Replies

• keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Send me a message if you would like some assistance.
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yodee wrote: »
    Have you had a complete physical including checking your thyroid? That was part of my problem.

yeah.... I had some thyroid issues in the past, I gained about 20 pounds, lost some of it, but gained more back...
  • Laureani
    Options
    keithw2013 wrote: »
    How did you come up with having a blood sugar of 55?

What are you eating and when? Is the only exercise Cardio via treadmill?

I would like to help you.

I checked my blood sugar with a prick.. it said 55...
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    decrease carbs, increase good fats, nuts, oils, meat, butter, mayo. Watch your vegetables, some have really high carbs as do fruits.
  • Laureani
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    skullshank wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »
    My gut feel is the issue is twofold: (1) you're lifting heavy (and, I assume this started a month ago) so you're adding muscle

probably not.

Why probably not? OP says she's lifting, and her profile says she was a wrestler within the last few years, and so probably had a store of easily-reactivated muscle mass.

Yeah I wrestled for about 3 years.. and my "muscle" still shows I have fat abs lol...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Tobore wrote: »

yeah 55 is low. it should be above 70 but not over 150.

• keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yes - that is very low. If you check it again and it is outside the range of 80-110 see a doctor.

• Laureani
    Options
    I think some of your numbers are incorrect, for example, based on your stats, your BMI is actually 32 not 20.

I haven't read through all the responses, so someone else may have said this already. But it seems to me that you need to take a deep breath, slow down, set small achievable goals and really focus on accurate logging.

If you don't have a medical illness (you mentioned you had seen a doctor) you should be losing on your current plan.

Make sure you are super honest and accurate with your logging (ie; weighing/measuring you food, adding EVERYTHING like cooking oils, dressings on salad etc).

Most of all Good Luck.

The scale I use says my BMI is 20, but I did do some calculations and I guess it should be 30... meaning I'm obese... although I don't feel obese nor look it... I'll prolly have to post some pics.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Based on the title: because its a "diet"

No but seriously. It sounds like you are working out and might be overdoing it on just eating 1400 calories a day. Carbs aren't evil. We just need balance. Carbs= energy, too many carbs=your body stores as fat for energy for later!! Anyway, I am on 1410 calories a day and I exercise just 45-75 minutes 3x a day. Sometimes I eat SOME calories back and not all, depending how I've been for the previous days. But what works for me may not work for you. Talk to your doctor since he has you on this.
  • Laureani
    Options
    The first thing you're doing wrong is calling it a "diet". If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to be ready to commit to a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

I'm aware of it being a lifestyle change and I'm committed I've been at this for a month now, any other advice or am I in the wrong forum???

It's important that we ask certain questions to make sure that everyone's giving you the best advice that we can. I understand that you're frustrated, but knowing how long you've been at this is important. If you'd answered that it was only a week or two I would have said it's water retention from the increased activity and you should wait it out. But since it's been a month (and I assume the exercise hasn't been changed/increased in that time period) then there's something else going on.

Honestly, without seeing your diary it's hard to know what else might help you. A food scale is a good option if you can afford/have access to one. If you're currently logging your exercise and eating back the earned calories then you may need to cut those back (MFP has a tendency to overestimate certain activities).

How do I open my diary?????
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can still have pizza and cookies. myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • Laureani
    Options

yeah 55 is low. it should be above 70 but not over 150.

My blood sugar is always a little under 70... =/ idk why I'm not diabetic tho
  • Laureani
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat it just takes up less space.,also 55 is low for blood sugar if you tested it. she is not going to gain a lot of muscle in a month for only lifting 20 minutes and eating only 1400 calories. you have to be in a caloric surplus to gain a good bit of muscle mass and a woman builds it slower than a man. you need to cut the cardio down to 3-4 days a week and bump up the weight lifting to 2-3 days a week about an hr a day.also like others suggested a food scale will help,you are probably eating more than 1400 calories(trust me you will be surprised when you start weighing your food that it does not match what the packaging says).

To build muscle you need a decent ratio of fats,protein and carbs . you can check that out at IIFYM.com or do a search as everyones ratio will be different for their goals.as for both your parents being thin, so were mine and I got fat by eating too much and not being active.so the whole thing about genes in this instance I think is false. It could be your thyroid but I would weigh my food,change my exercise routine around,(do something different often) and go from there. I have lost a lot of inches just by lifting weights. as for losing 30lbs of fat by april there is no guarantee if that will happen or not. you may lose more you may lose less it all depends.

I know it's not that realistic but that is my Max goal and I can very well try can't I ?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The first thing you're doing wrong is calling it a "diet". If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to be ready to commit to a permanent and sustainable lifestyle change.

I'm aware of it being a lifestyle change and I'm committed I've been at this for a month now, any other advice or am I in the wrong forum???

It's important that we ask certain questions to make sure that everyone's giving you the best advice that we can. I understand that you're frustrated, but knowing how long you've been at this is important. If you'd answered that it was only a week or two I would have said it's water retention from the increased activity and you should wait it out. But since it's been a month (and I assume the exercise hasn't been changed/increased in that time period) then there's something else going on.

Honestly, without seeing your diary it's hard to know what else might help you. A food scale is a good option if you can afford/have access to one. If you're currently logging your exercise and eating back the earned calories then you may need to cut those back (MFP has a tendency to overestimate certain activities).

How do I open my diary?????

Its account settings and then diary setting and then make it public.
    Just confirming with the others your BMI is 32.9
    Its rally just so people can see what you are doing and to spot obvious mistakes. The more relevant information the better your answer will be.

The majority of these why am I not losing weight posts are because you are eating more than you think and burning less. You need to get the basics right first and its probably soemthing as simple as getting what you eat logged more accurately so you know for a fact you are at a deficit.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you're of muscular build, BMI doesn't mean as much because BMI doesn't take into account musculature. Your muscular weight at 5'5" is different than a lanky (of someone with little muscle) weight of 5'5". This was an issue I had years ago when I was lifting and a BMI of around 27 was considered normal for my frame and musculature.

Your blood sugar is of much concern, however. Was your meter calibrated recently? Was it before or after a meal? If after, how long after?
  • Laureani
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    DiIDE wrote: »
    Your BMI can't be 20 I have checked a calculation site and your BMI is actually 33. I also suggest that you get food scale, when I started to use one I was surprised how much some foods weighed and how small a recommended amount to eat looked like on my plate. Also you could increase the amount of time you workout with weights. I do three weight workouts of 1 hour plus 30 mins cardio 3 times a week plus 2 cardio only workouts a week and I still have to watch my calories or I gain weight.
    If you read the thread her SCALE says her body fat is 20. Her scale wrongly calls it her BMI.
    She says she is 5'5" and 198 and says she has 30 pounds of fat to lose. If those three statement are accurate, she has to be more than 18-20% body fat. I have no idea what her scale could possibly be calling 20.

well the scale said BMI of 20 so that's what I went with at first, although I was shocked to find out its actually 30.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat it just takes up less space.,also 55 is low for blood sugar if you tested it. she is not going to gain a lot of muscle in a month for only lifting 20 minutes and eating only 1400 calories. you have to be in a caloric surplus to gain a good bit of muscle mass and a woman builds it slower than a man. you need to cut the cardio down to 3-4 days a week and bump up the weight lifting to 2-3 days a week about an hr a day.also like others suggested a food scale will help,you are probably eating more than 1400 calories(trust me you will be surprised when you start weighing your food that it does not match what the packaging says).

To build muscle you need a decent ratio of fats,protein and carbs . you can check that out at IIFYM.com or do a search as everyones ratio will be different for their goals.as for both your parents being thin, so were mine and I got fat by eating too much and not being active.so the whole thing about genes in this instance I think is false. It could be your thyroid but I would weigh my food,change my exercise routine around,(do something different often) and go from there. I have lost a lot of inches just by lifting weights. as for losing 30lbs of fat by april there is no guarantee if that will happen or not. you may lose more you may lose less it all depends.

I know it's not that realistic but that is my Max goal and I can very well try can't I ?

yep you sure can try. no harm in that

• Laureani
    Options
    orpurtb wrote: »
    Get off the scale and stop weighing yourself! How are your clothes fitting? If your clothes are fitting better (looser) then you are doing great! You are losing fat but gaining muscle, and muscle is heavier than fat. Muscle also burns more calories while resting, so as you keep building muscle you will burn more and more fat :) Don't be too harsh on yourself, you will see the weight loss soon.

It seems I've went down a shirt size but my pant size is still 10 or 12... depending on the fabric.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    the database isn't always accurate so sometimes I have to guess or makeup my own food.

OP, this is why you aren't losing. You are probably eating more than you think. Enough over 1400 atleast to maintain your weight.

Your BMI is: 32.9
    Target weight range: 111.2 lbs - 150.2 lbs

Under weight - 18.5
    Healthy 18.5 - 25.0
    Overweight 25.0 - 30.0
    Obese 30.0 - more

It takes roughly 2,000-2,200 calories to maintain your current weight.

My suggestion to you since you said you're hungry all the time and aren't losing would be to eat MUCH more fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. These can usually be eaten in large quantities and should keep you full without the huge calorie expense. I would get a food scale or start measuring these out.

Start with very simple easy-to-measure foods like vegetables, fruits, and meats where you KNOW for certain how many calories you're eating. Then add in the fancy meals (like japanese and nigerian) once you've got the hang of adding in the ingredients in a recipe. I'd probably also suggest making all your food (just for the sake of knowing whats in it so you can track it accurately).

You can definitely do this! It's all about accuracy, accountability, and consistency!
  • Laureani
    Options
    If you're of muscular build, BMI doesn't mean as much because BMI doesn't take into account musculature. Your muscular weight at 5'5" is different than a lanky (of someone with little muscle) weight of 5'5". This was an issue I had years ago when I was lifting and a BMI of around 27 was considered normal for my frame and musculature.

Your blood sugar is of much concern, however. Was your meter calibrated recently? Was it before or after a meal? If after, how long after?

about 1 hour after I had a meal, and I actually had rice, isnt that supposed to spike blood sugar???