"Fat Head" - is dietary fat REALLY that bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• dsnyprincessRN
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I really liked Fat Head, insofar as a counter to the nonsense of Supersize Me.

I'm not sure I buy into the high fat diet promoted by the experts in the doc. My experience is that fat is not satiating, I struggle the most with hunger when my fat macro level is high for the day. My experience tells me that a high fat diet, if I wasn't paying attention, that I would overeat on it, by a lot.

I saw on my random internet dawdling a guy who did the high-fat low carb thing and topped his steak with half a stick of butter.... a) that looks nauseating and b) i just have a hard time seeing how someone thinks "that looks good for me."
    Just because you don't think someone can think something is good for you that doesn't mean someone else can't?

You're also looking at 1 piece of a person diet as opposed to the overall contents.

Welp I was aiming for light humor with that comment, but I get the flip side - someone can think the slice of pizza that I think looks godly looks like a greasy pile of crap. Diets are individual, no single diet is perfect for everyone, I was just interested in the discussion of this one.

I posted my experience above to start and actual discussion, but you didn't reply or ask questions about my experience. I've been at this since 2010 and I am a competitive bodybuilder. I'd say my experience as well as my knowledge of the science behind it would be enough for you to continue to ask me questions.

I do appreciate your input and experience and I'm sure you are much more educated than me on this topic - no denying that. Honestly I don't even know what questions to ask! Your approach to balanced macros makes sense to me and I would definitely see getting tired and feeling out of it when you're lacking in one of the areas. Thoughts on a paleo type diet? I feel like it's what our bodies were "designed" (evolutionary speaking) to eat.... so that part makes sense.... but then whole grains are good too..... and our bodies are very adaptable....

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Did we travel back in time to 1984?

Powter1.jpg

Susan!
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A perfectly grilled steak topped with butter is one of the greatest indulgences there is. And, it's not unhealthy. It's delicious and nutritious
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I buy into the high fat diet promoted by the experts in the doc. My experience is that fat is not satiating, I struggle the most with hunger when my fat macro level is high for the day. My experience tells me that a high fat diet, if I wasn't paying attention, that I would overeat on it, by a lot.

I saw on my random internet dawdling a guy who did the high-fat low carb thing and topped his steak with half a stick of butter.... a) that looks nauseating and b) i just have a hard time seeing how someone thinks "that looks good for me."
    Just because you don't think someone can think something is good for you that doesn't mean someone else can't?

You're also looking at 1 piece of a person diet as opposed to the overall contents.

Welp I was aiming for light humor with that comment, but I get the flip side - someone can think the slice of pizza that I think looks godly looks like a greasy pile of crap. Diets are individual, no single diet is perfect for everyone, I was just interested in the discussion of this one.

I posted my experience above to start and actual discussion, but you didn't reply or ask questions about my experience. I've been at this since 2010 and I am a competitive bodybuilder. I'd say my experience as well as my knowledge of the science behind it would be enough for you to continue to ask me questions.

I do appreciate your input and experience and I'm sure you are much more educated than me on this topic - no denying that. Honestly I don't even know what questions to ask! Your approach to balanced macros makes sense to me and I would definitely see getting tired and feeling out of it when you're lacking in one of the areas. Thoughts on a paleo type diet? I feel like it's what our bodies were "designed" (evolutionary speaking) to eat.... so that part makes sense.... but then whole grains are good too..... and our bodies are very adaptable....

Paleo diet's claims have been debunked many times. Our ancestors ate a wide variety of things depending on where they lived and some of those are on the "no" list.

Many people feel good or slimmer on it because the paleo diet eliminates many of the foods that cause minor bloating or water retention. The list of no foods are actually some of the most common food allergies.

Could you do well on Paleo or The Whole 30 or Atkins or *insert diet here*? Possibly. It still comes down to calories consumed compared to the amount of calories your body needs through the day/week/month/year. The best diet for each person is simply what they can stick to. For most of us it's simply smaller portions or lighter versions of our normal foods.
  • dsnyprincessRN
    Options

Paleo diet's claims have been debunked many times. Our ancestors ate a wide variety of things depending on where they lived and some of those are on the "no" list.

Many people feel good or slimmer on it because the paleo diet eliminates many of the foods that cause minor bloating or water retention. The list of no foods are actually some of the most common food allergies.

Could you do well on Paleo or The Whole 30 or Atkins or *insert diet here*? Possibly. It still comes down to calories consumed compared to the amount of calories your body needs through the day/week/month/year. The best diet for each person is simply what they can stick to. For most of us it's simply smaller portions or lighter versions of our normal foods.

"The best diet for each person is simply what they can stick to."
    Can this be MFP's new slogan?

And now that you mention it, the paleo debunking makes sense, because they all didn't have the same food sources... for some reason didn't consider that :p woops

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

And now that you mention it, the paleo debunking makes sense, because they all didn't have the same food sources... for some reason didn't consider that :p woops

I think often people come in here thinking they have to radically change their diet. I know I thought I couldn't have treats of any sort. Chicken, rice, vegetables, fruit and oatmeal. I also thought 1200 calories was enough and anything less than 2 pound loss per week was a failure.

Thankfully I eventually learned that setting MFP to lose a pound a week was more appropriate and there is no reason to feel guilty over having cake.
  • dsnyprincessRN
    Options

I think often people come in here thinking they have to radically change their diet. I know I thought I couldn't have treats of any sort. Chicken, rice, vegetables, fruit and oatmeal. I also thought 1200 calories was enough and anything less than 2 pound loss per week was a failure.

Thankfully I eventually learned that setting MFP to lose a pound a week was more appropriate and there is no reason to feel guilty over having cake.

Finding what works and not beating yourself up I think are some of the hardest parts, for me anyway!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Powter1.jpg

Susan!

Flash from the past!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Powter1.jpg

Susan!

Flash from the past!

I bought in to it until I discovered that cutting too much fat and protein from my diet made my hair fall out (maybe that's why Susan wore a buzz cut), my skin was dry and wrinkly, and I was tired and hungry all of the time. Flash forward to the last year eating more balanced (for me this means 35%-35%-30% (carb, protein, fat)) and I am losing steadily, have plenty of energy and stamina, still have my waist length hair, and rarely am hungry.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    you should eat however makes you feel best. I would classify my diet as low fat, but I do eat fats. Just today I had-almond milk in my coffee,some almonds crushed into a salad,egg and cheese bake,and 1/2 a piece of chocolate cake.

Too much fat makes me feel unwell, and triggers heartburn for me.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    I am a carbaholic and I have recently increased protein and fats and decreased carbs (especially sugars)...In just 3 weeks, I feel amaziningly better and more energetic! The weight is coming off too!