Vegan Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kewpies
    Kewpies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP, what LaurenD said ;) my diary is open to friends, you are welcome to have a peek! I usually hit between 70-90 grams of protein without much thought. <3

Thank you! :) And that's amazing! :o I'm struggling to reach 50/60 grams a day! :s
  • ravenrainchild
    ravenrainchild Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan BUT I drink a vegan protein shake everyday. (Is that weird? I dunno.) Vegasport is AWESOME. 25g of plant based protein per serving!! And it's quality stuff too. I suggest you check it out.
  • Kewpies
    Options
    Plantfusion Cookies n' Creme is a great plant-based protein!

Thanks!
  • Kewpies
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Canned chickpeas and lentils are my fav. For lunch I had hemp seeds on top of some cantaloupe. Remember that broccoli and leafy greens have protein.
    In order to get protein high enough, I had to greatly diminish the role of breads and similar foods. They are gone.

You know I think you hit the real issue at hand. I do eat a lot of the foods you mention. I think what needs to happen though, is that I need dramatically adjust the ratio of those greens and beans with other things I like to eat (starchy vegetables and fruits :s )
  • Kewpies
    Options
    I added some of you as friends. I have switched to a plant based diet. I find myself running out of ideas on what to cook. I know that I'm not eating.. I am ready to tone and put on muscle. Help me!!

Before grad school I was vegan, and then during school I completely let go of my nutrition / self care :(

I feel like I am learning again from square one! Some of my favorite resources right now are the books by Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live series). My favorite for recipies is probably Eat for Health.

Online I love http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/ !! I follow her on Instagram too, she's very inspiring! Though there are lots of recipies for desserts :s
  • Kewpies
    Options
    Lots of beens and rice! Gotta find combos to complete proteins. Tofu needs to be properly cultured. Vegan has its draw backs if you don't educate yourself. I would advise consulting a nutritionist if your intention is to make this a long term lifestyle choice. This forum has some poor advice from well meening but misguided people. Check out the truly independent long term studies on supliments for example. Also need to ingest all the essential amino acids... it can be done well if you put the work in. I see a lot of anemic vampire looking veggies out there.

Interesting, I'll look into finding a nutritionist, though right this moment I don't think I could afford it :s While I was a student and on student health insurance I did seek out a nutritionist about these issues, she just dismissed me and said I shouldn't be vegan. :'(
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use a shake I got from walmart. Its a premix in a 4 pack "EAS advantEDGE carb control" 100 calories, 17g protien. The only possibly non-vegan ingredient in it is the vitamin D source.

Might be worth a try if you dont want to commit to a tub just yet.
  • Sdrotty
    Sdrotty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like drinking plant fusion(anything but vanilla, bleh) for an extra boost.
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Vega One (Protein Shake). I use it everyday! Its spendy, but worth it in my opinion. Its got 6 servings of greens (Kale, Broccoli, and Algae) per scoop and 20g of protein! And comes in around 160-170 cals depending on the flavor. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with hubby yesterday. I noticed in my reports that I am often low on protein. Also I am woefully low on iron. Since we have friends who are vegan, I have inquired about the nutritional benefits and/or detriments. Vegans rave about the protein and iron in a plant based diet. I am so curious to know, however, the absorption rates of that protein and iron from vegetables verses meat. Also, the differences between heme iron (benefit) versus non heme iron. I agree with 1970Jaime- there are a lot of well intentioned and knowledgeable MFP people. But, I have never seen the discussion really address absorption- which to me seems like the most important part.