doing everything right but not losing weight

Options

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You're probably not gaining significant muscle unless you are lifting heavy weights and eating at a surplus. It's likely to be water weight if you're losing fat and cms :)

You'll need to tighten up your logging, I'm at the same weight as you and the closer you get to goal the more accurate you need to be as there is less room for error. Things like banana, walnuts and rice you REALLY need to weigh as they are calorie-heavy and the cup measures and 'medium' size estimates can be way off!
  • AdorkableMe2015
    AdorkableMe2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    shaena28 wrote: »
    You are likely gaining muscle which weighs more, but is more trim and smooth- different than merely being young and thin without muscle. I do not disbelieve your records, I think they accurately describe rapid muscle gain from intense workouts while you lose weight, as you are losing cm

So let me get this straight - five pounds of muscle weighs more than five pounds of fat? Is that how physics works, ORRR do they weigh exactly the same amount regardless of their density, mass, etc?

Please stop the "muscle weighs more than fat" thinking. It's just bad math and science.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You are likely gaining muscle which weighs more, but is more trim and smooth- different than merely being young and thin without muscle. I do not disbelieve your records, I think they accurately describe rapid muscle gain from intense workouts while you lose weight, as you are losing cm

So let me get this straight - five pounds of muscle weighs more than five pounds of fat? Is that how physics works, ORRR do they weigh exactly the same amount regardless of their density, mass, etc?

Please stop the "muscle weighs more than fat" thinking. It's just bad math and science.

yes indeedy! 5lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5lbs of fat. The difference is muscle takes up less room than fat .

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

no.
  • rosejyoti55
    rosejyoti55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    See if you can figure out your body fat percentage, because it may be that which is changing (I've experienced the same thing).

Check your scales are right - compare them to a different set

Check your thyroid with your doctor (particularly if you have low energy levels)
  • ana3067
    Options
    Issues with your logging, OP:

1) using generic recipes. "Homeade - Garden Salad, 1 cups" doesn't tell you anything about your caloric intake, regardless of it being weighed or not. It's simply inaccurate. Log the actual veggies you used separately.

2) eating out, if done very regularly, can be an issue for tracking. E.g. Mcdonald's - Small Latte Skimmed Milk, 260 ml may easily be more cals than the website states.

3) As already mentioned, not weighing your food makes t hings way less accurate. As long as you weigh or at least measure EVERYTHING though then you can use that as a starting point, but you need to be consistent.

4) being inconsistent with your intake. Being +/1 50 cals every day, not a huge deal. Having a calorie difference of a few hundred every day? Not really beneficial for noticing trends.

5) Using entries that require weighing but not actually weighing. Use entries that correspond to measurements until you decide to try weighing.

6) Using generic food entries. "Bread - White, toasted, 1 slice, thin" is not a brand. I have 2 cinnamon raisin breads in my freezer; one weighs about 70g for 2 slices and the other 49g for 2 slices. Use the brand that corresponds to what you actually ate.

7) Yuo say you've been at this for 3 months? Your log doesn't reflect this. Meaning you've been eating more than you think for most of this time.
  • lalvater
    lalvater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gotten your thyroid checked? I had a similar experience. I was on a college dance team working out twice a day, practicing or dancing at games at least six days a week, eating healthy and didn't lose a pound which I knew seemed impossible. I was also tired, had an awful menstrual cycle, and had really dry skin. I found out I that had hypothryoidism by a simple blood test that my doctor prescribed. I take one levothyroxine every morning and once my TSH levels returned to normal, healthy eating and exercise began to actually work and I dropped 50 lbs. This may not be your issue but I definitely wish I had known about it during all those years I slaved through diets and didn't see results. Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Physics has this thing ... you might have heard of it (you even mentioned it)... we call it (say it with me, will you): "Density".

You can say it, right?

"Density".

Let me help: Muscle is much more dense that fat ... which means what, kiddies? Yes, Virginia - you are correct. It means this:

for any given specific volume you care to name, in any unit of your choice, the same volume of both fat and muscle, the muscle is, indeed, undeniably and unquestionably heavier.

Are you done yet - pretending you didn't know that ?

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

• ana3067
    edited January 2015
    Options

Physics has this thing ... you might have heard of it (you even mentioned it)... we call it (say it with me, will you): "Density".

You can say it, right?

"Density".

Let me help: Muscle is much more dense that fat ... which means what, kiddies? Yes, Virginia - you are correct. It means this:

for any given specific volume you care to name, in any unit volume of your choice, the same volume of both fat and muscle, the muscle is, indeed, undeniably and unquestionably heavier.

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

two things that weigh 5lbs are going to be the same weight. This holds for fat and muscle. Just because one takes up more room than the other doesn't mean it weighs more. If you look just at size, then yes one could weigh more for the same size (e.g. comparing weights for how much fat vs muscle fits in a 1L container). But to say "muscle weighs more than fat" IS semantically incorrect.

e957d9fb836022283c7a08c6bd59037e.jpg
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

You can say it, right?

"Density".

for any given specific volume you care to name, in any unit of your choice, the same volume of both fat and muscle, the muscle is, indeed, undeniably and unquestionably heavier.

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

wow

huh

:\
  • weightlossme
    Options
    OK you people really get excited about this sort of thing. Muscle vs fat aside and all of that stuff. My problem could be calories sneaking in as pointed out - not all brands etc are the same. Example - I logged a Mcdonalds Skim Milk Latte because at the time I couldn't find just a plain home made skim milk latte from my coffee machine - so I get that it is highly possible a few calories here and there are creeping in. I STILL think however that remaining consistently quite under my allowance allows a bit of room for error and should still see a weight loss. Yes - to the Thyroid - it has crossed my mind - but I only achieve 5 hours sleep a night so I always put that down for any tiredness (actually I am quite energized 99% of the time - I start work at 3am - so I have to be). I will endeavor to become a calorie NAZI for a while and see if there is any difference. I use the same scales every two weeks at the Gym when I get a weigh in.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OK you people really get excited about this sort of thing. Muscle vs fat aside and all of that stuff. My problem could be calories sneaking in as pointed out - not all brands etc are the same. Example - I logged a Mcdonalds Skim Milk Latte because at the time I couldn't find just a plain home made skim milk latte from my coffee machine - so I get that it is highly possible a few calories here and there are creeping in. I STILL think however that remaining consistently quite under my allowance allows a bit of room for error and should still see a weight loss. Yes - to the Thyroid - it has crossed my mind - but I only achieve 5 hours sleep a night so I always put that down for any tiredness (actually I am quite energized 99% of the time - I start work at 3am - so I have to be). I will endeavor to become a calorie NAZI for a while and see if there is any difference. I use the same scales every two weeks at the Gym when I get a weigh in.

Then create your own entry for the home made latte you used, or create a recipe for it if it was made with multiple items.

Weigh your FOOD, not yourself, for consistency. Logging properly (and ideally weighing) =/= being a "calorie nazi." It = being thorough and logging properly for your goals. And yes, using generic entries and other things that I listed in my other post will very easily make your logging totally not waht your actual intake is. It's your choice to take the suggestions seriously and log properly to see if that makes a difference or not, otherwise you can continue struggling despite the super easy fixes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

nope
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

You can say it, right?

"Density".

for any given specific volume you care to name, in any unit volume of your choice, the same volume of both fat and muscle, the muscle is, indeed, undeniably and unquestionably heavier.

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

two things that weigh 5lbs are going to be the same weight. This holds for fat and muscle. Just because one takes up more room than the other doesn't mean it weighs more. If you look just at size, then yes one could weigh more for the same size (e.g. comparing weights for how much fat vs muscle fits in a 1L container). But to say "muscle weighs more than fat" IS semantically incorrect.

While I don't agree with the poster's tone (and he takes this tone in most threads), my reaction is similar....So what? This argument drives me insane. Yes, 5 lbs of muscles weighs the same as 5 pounds of fat...duh. Most posters assume this, and are trying to say muscle takes up less space. So if you have more muscle, you can look leaner. I will never understand why we have to take up one or two pages (or more) to argue semantics. I just don't get it. Again, duh!

Now, there are some threads where you can't tell if the poster understands this. But in the majority, it is pretty clear.

I actually don't care. Argue away. Because it is a lot of fun for those of us who mostly lurk.

• ana3067
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

You can say it, right?

"Density".

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

While I don't agree with the poster's tone (and he takes this tone in most threads), my reaction is similar....So what? This argument drives me insane. Yes, 5 lbs of muscles weighs the same as 5 pounds of fat...duh. Most posters assume this, and are trying to say muscle takes up less space. So if you have more muscle, you can look leaner. I will never understand why we have to take up one or two pages (or more) to argue semantics. I just don't get it. Again, duh!

Now, there are some threads where you can't tell if the poster understands this. But in the majority, it is pretty clear.

I actually don't care. Argue away. Because it is a lot of fun for those of us who mostly lurk.

Argue semantics because the other person was a douche. I don't care if someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" because yes, I understand what they mean. But if someone's going to get douchy as this poster did then that's just idiotic, so I decided to reply.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

You can say it, right?

"Density".

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

Argue semantics because the other person was a douche. I don't care if someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" because yes, I understand what they mean. But if someone's going to get douchy as this poster did then that's just idiotic, so I decided to reply.

Actually, that I understand. Because the poster has been driving me nuts lately. And it was definitely a douchy reply.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

You can say it, right?

"Density".

Good.

Let's move on, shall we?

wow

huh

:\

Charming huh! :s

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    ALL of the "muscle vs. fat" stuff in this thread is completely beside the point. She's not doing anything that would cause her to build muscle.

OP: You're eating more than you think. Weigh solids, measure liquids, and create your own recipes. If you make a latte at home, enter the milk, coffee and sweetener you used as separate entries.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If your diary is not accurate it will show on the scale. Fix your diary - use a food scale, use accurate entries, log what you actually eat rather than generic entries in the database, log everything you put in your mouth - once you get your diary in check you'll be able to see the results you want.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    and from a thyroid issue sufferer... it wouldn't be a "oh maybe.. meh" .. if you TRULY have a problem... you know it.