Tip for fellow pizza addicts

Options
I'm addicted to pizza, could eat it every day. I can usually control myself and have only a couple slices, unless I've been drinking in which case I want to be a pizza black hole and absorb all the pizza in the world. If there is leftover pizza in my fridge, that's just, no - I will eat it all post-haste, cold, warm, hot, I don't care.

I've discovered that the optimal strategy for me is to buy a large pizza when I'm totally sober and just kind of want pizza, eat a slice or two, and then freeze the rest. Amazingly this works, I can leave it alone until I'm desperate for pizza, at which point I take out only the amount that is calorically responsible to eat and put it in the over to re-heat. It makes it a lot harder to impulse eatallthepizzabecausepizza, and I don't need to spend 3 hours making it from scratch or order delivery for way too much money and eat too much because it's right there. This probably sounds neurotic, but I'm willing to bet that there are other moderate-drinker-pizza-freaks on a budget out there who may want to give this a try, it sounds so simple and obvious but...okay maybe it is, but it's a greatly victorious strategy.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Portion control :) if that's what it takes, then that's what you do.
  • kksoucie
    kksoucie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do understand!! My solution was to make my own english muffin pizzas. Not quite like a regular pizza but very good and easy to portion out, Yummy!!
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We have a wood fired pizza oven here at home & love our home made pizzas!! The dough is just flour/water/a little olive oil and yeast ... yet for a small pizza the dough alone I worked out was 880 calories without adding any calories for the topping.

Way to expensive calorie wize for me and I so miss our weekly pizza fix.. don't think I could stop at one piece to be honest.

Well done with your strategy - good if it works for you.

Elle
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I eat pizza, I like to eat A LOT of pizza. I'm just never going to be able to portion control it. I have it once a month and eat as much as I want. I ate 900 calories worth of pizza tonight and it was delicious. :)
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd just make my own instead because you have control, about what it's made of/how much you make; plus you can accurately measure the Calories, etc.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great strategy! That's basically what I do each week: buy a pizza (usually meaty and add veg ies to it at home), bake it and divide it up for the week.

I try to drink extra water on pizza days, have a salad and have some extra exercise, but I rarely regret pizza!
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Either fit it into your macros or have it once every couple months. I do the latter
  • forgetswords
    Options
    I might actually try this, thanks for the tip. I have been freezing just about everything in portions lately. It works out well.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's a good strategy! I myself love pizza more than many things, and I also happened to just post about a revelatory homemade pizza the other day. a 12" thin crust pizza for around 850 calories. Works for me, I can eat the whole thing! Yay! Read it here: What, pizza?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am laughing reading your post because I truly understand, out of sight out of mind, yep freeze that pizza.
  • jamesbhynes
    Options
    Costco sells palerno (spelling?) Chicken fajita thin crust pizza. Good for a quick pizza fix and 500 cal for half the pizza. Paired with a big salad it's not actually that bad of a meal calorie wise. High in sodium tho.
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thickly sliced zucchini brushed with olive oil front and back, slathered with marinara, and coated in lots of good mozzarella - baked in the oven - also does the trick
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Amisha136 wrote: »
    Thickly sliced zucchini brushed with olive oil front and back, slathered with marinara, and coated in lots of good mozzarella - baked in the oven - also does the trick

Not pizza. Bye.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    LOVE pizza. Eat it at weekly-as much as I want. Skip the beer when I eat it. Yummy. Now I want pizza. LOL
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I am glad you found a system that works for you! I love pizza too but am not a huge fan of it once reheated. I generally will eat a lot of it but my exercise levels tend to compensate
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Amisha136 wrote: »

Not pizza. Bye.

hahaha ^^^ this.

Sounds like a good dish but it's kind of a sacrilegious affront to the pizza gods, which you're going to want to avoid doing. That said, my mom gave me a "Vegetti" for Christmas, so along with questionably gratuitous use of the word "vegetti" whenever possible, I'm now also able to really easily make zucchini noodles, which are actually pretty delicious but are definitely not pasta.

tumblr_ljavevd2tS1qazdhko1_500.jpg

• 42carrots
    Options
    I am glad you found a system that works for you! I love pizza too but am not a huge fan of it once reheated. I generally will eat a lot of it but my exercise levels tend to compensate

Microwaves are the worst thing to happen to pizza. I have a small convection toaster oven that pretty much restores pizza slices 90% of the way back to their original glory, it's a worthwhile investment. Regular oven would work too but uses way more energy.

• 42carrots
    Options
    Can you imagine the anxiety and neurosis that would occur if a bunch of MFP people got together for a pizza party? What a terrifying nightmare
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eatallthepizzabecausepizza! yes. Pizza is my favorite food. On weekends I travel to NY(Prince St.), New Haven(Sally's/Mod), Boston(Regina's! my fav) and Philly(Beddia) frequently and the main reason is for pizza! Good thing we walk a lot around the cities to balance it.
    OP I put it in the freezer too. I put wax paper between the slices and then in a freezer bag. 42carrots, I put it in the micro for 1min then toaster oven and it reheats great. Take out when cheese bubbles and the crust will be crisp.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Portion control :) if that's what it takes, then that's what you do.

I had pizza today, make it fit/